• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Upper bogie bearing

HUS457

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper S-TX-DX - Traded
2023 Sidewinder LTX-GT
Hey, anyone know what size bearing is in the upper bogie? Part # is 8JP RAG08. Not looking forward to getting that off.

I'm starting to second guess myself, I think your model may not be the 6006

They’re 6205’s. The good news was that the bearings were fine & the bogies slipped right off. Bad news was the shaft was toast. Thats why the bogies slipped off so easy I guess. Hopefully my dealer can get the shaft in by the weekend. Any tricks to pressing the bogies on? I’m thinking a longer bolt same size as the rear skid bolts with a length of 1” pipe and 2 washers and press them on via the bolt, pipe & washers?

They’re 6205’s. The good news was that the bearings were fine & the bogies slipped right off. Bad news was the shaft was toast. Thats why the bogies slipped off so easy I guess. Hopefully my dealer can get the shaft in by the weekend. Any tricks to pressing the bogies on? I’m thinking a longer bolt same size as the rear skid bolts with a length of 1” pipe and 2 washers and press them on via the bolt, pipe & washers?
Very common problem but easy fix. After you get your new shaft & wheel reinstalled with the C-clip go down to your local John Deere dealer and ask for two bearing collars used on a JD 47 or 50 snowblower. The bearing collars fit the shaft perfectly and they are just a few bucks each. Slide the collar up to the C-clip and snug up the set screw so it wont fall off or start to push off the C-clip if the shaft is worn out. Here is what it looks like.

Attachments

• collar.jpg
    collar.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 50
Wow, tx! I just put the new shaft in the skid, and even with new bearings the play is the exact same. It must be engineered this way. There’s still 1/4 of play as well, between the bearing & c clip, which these collars will fix. But the “wobble” is still there. New shaft, I even tried it with new bearings. Must be machined from Cat this way. Assuming this is a Cat part.

Yamahaguy, Is that for the L-TX skid? Or the X-TX? .... Disregard, I just looked at your sig & looked the part up. Looks like the same part but different part numbers. Not by much though. For the sake of a couple bucks I'll roll the dice and pick them up. Tx again!

Last edited:
Yamahaguy, Is that for the L-TX skid? Or the X-TX? .... Disregard, I just looked at your sig & looked the part up. Looks like the same part but different part numbers. Not by much though. For the sake of a couple bucks I'll roll the dice and pick them up. Tx again!

I know it works great on XTX and MTX skids. Not sure on a LTX because that's all different parts.

I know what you mean about bearing wobble on the shaft. I had similar issues with the aluminum anti stab shaft always going bad but the bearings would be fine so about 3 years ago I put in a new shaft and used JB weld between the aluminum shaft and inner race to take up the slop. No more wobble and 3 seasons with no issues so I will probably do the same thing with the rear upper shaft next time. I grease all the bearings with a needle greaser and if they ever need bearing replacement a bit of heat on the aluminum shaft will loosen the JB weld up to get them right off. Its got CAT DNA in places so you have to finish what the engineers started.

Last edited:
Ya the same was happening with the anti stab shaft on mine. The wobble wasn’t as bad though so I used red loctite between the shaft & inner race of the bearings. Figured if it works for the drive shaft bearings on the sidewinders it should work there. I agree with having to clean up a lot of the cat engineering. Just finishing up shimming the valves too.

Back