• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Using 2 1/2 qrts engine oil 1500 miles

riverrat said:
Dont keep oil near full line on gauge, keep it just over the low mark and it should use less oil, that is unless your mods are causing it.

I've been told this from Yamaha techs, but I don't agree.

My 07 RTX has lived its entire 11,800 km life with the oil level right at the top of the highest full line. Not once between oil changes has it dropped more than about 1/2 a millimeter (about 0.020").

I check my oil with the engine fully warmed up (after a ride), idle it for about 30 seconds, shut it down, pull the stick part way, wipe off the oil, drop the stick until the threads touch, and check the level.

I change my oil every 3000-3300 km and, except for the last time, always change the oil filter. My drive-train is 100% stock and my temp light has turned on at idle a couple of times. I've never ridden it with the temp light on.

I strongly suspect that any motor that is using oil has ring or valve seal issues. If the crankcase breather was plugged it would also use oil but as long as your confident the breather is free and clear this likely isn't the issue.

One possibility might be that the non-stock breather is freezing up in very cold weather. This was a fairly common problem with the RX-1 and it would lead to excessive oil consumption and oil leaks on very cold days/nights.

YAttak07 said:
When ask to be honest about overheating issues what exactly do you mean?? My overtemp light has come on several times but I have always either hit deep snow or stopped and put snow on running boards to get he light to go off within a 1/2 mile or so. I have never overheated my engine.....

My 07 Attak GT has 4800 miles on it and upto the 3800 mile mark no issues with burning oil. Went on a 1000mile trip last week and burnt 500ml of oil??? The overtemp light came on a few of times that trip but again had it go out within a 1/2mile or so. I also modified my airbox around the 3500 mile mark??? After the last trip I also noticed that my exhaust was leaking can that add to the burning oil??

Over heating the motor is bad for the rings. I over heated my 03 RX-1 and the Rings went bye bye

When you say overheat do you mean just the light?? Mine has come on 6 or 8 times...but I stop immediately and snow the running boards...mine uses no oil..

dirkdiggler said:
SharkAttak said:
i've beaten the crap of my 06' Attak since day one and it has never used a drop of oil in between oil changes, over 4,000 mi. on it

But have you overheated it a lot?

no, before i ever rode it, i drained the anti-freeze out, put back in a 50/50 mix with water wetter got all the air out and it has never overheated

I burnt 1L of oil in 4000km which is normal. I have seen sleds burn oil after being constantly upside down. A buddy of mine bought my used RX-1 it never burnt oil untill he bought it then he flipped it over a couple of times and it's burnt oil ever since.

Burning Oil

I think that it is the rings ,when rings dont seal right they can cause crank case pressure. The intake manifold is used as a vacume source to help seal the rings and pull any moisture out of the crank case. Modifying the intake box should not change the amount of vacume in the mainifold just allows more air at higher rpms, if any thing it might decrease and then suck less oil ? the easy way to tell is to put a map sensor on a stock one and then check mine. One problem is that I am one month out of my warranty. I took my sled into the dealer before the warranty ran out and they are the ones that noticed that I was 3/4 of a quart down in about 500 miles but said it is probably my intake box. So this weekend I am going to do some testing ,leakdown,compression test, and maybe get a map sensor I have a alot of scan tools and meters available to me including a SnapOn Vantage.,and a bore scope. Will See how it goes. If I have a motor problem "ring problem" and Yamaha doesnt stand behind it I WILL NEVER BUY ONE AGAIN! Because I think that the motor is the best thing about this sled after all that is the main reason why I baught it. Will see how it goes there is nothing more that I would want is to try to resolve this issue and keep my Yami. it is awsome.

This may sound like a dumb question but the oil can or fitting isn't leaking at all is it? It sounds like you would have noticed by now but figured I would ask anyway. The reason I ask is because you say there is no smoke. I would think burning that much oil you would see some smoke. I don't know what type of air box mod you have but if you still have the drain tube on the bottom half maybe try to contain what drains through the tube for one ride and see if it amounts to anything. As for the motor, if it is the rings I would call Yamaha ASAP I believe they would cover it. They seem to stand behind the motors 100%. I know of several situations that they didn't have to, but did. Just go to a good dealer and be resonably nice, at least to start. HA HA

RTX Rox said:
I burnt 1L of oil in 4000km which is normal. I have seen sleds burn oil after being constantly upside down. A buddy of mine bought my used RX-1 it never burnt oil untill he bought it then he flipped it over a couple of times and it's burnt oil ever since.

1L of oil burnt every 4000 km (2500 miles) is definitely not normal for an Apex.

Yamaha may consider that acceptable before needing a rebuild, but you won't find many Apex that use that much oil. Normal is probably less than one mm down on the dipstick when its due for an oil change - at least if the 4 apex I ride with are "normal". 2 of these 4 have over 10,000 miles on them too.

Those of you burning oil, how did you break your motors in?

ReX said:
RTX Rox said:

1L of oil burnt every 4000 km (2500 miles) is definitely not normal for an Apex.

Yamaha may consider that acceptable before needing a rebuild, but you won't find many Apex that use that much oil. Normal is probably less than one mm down on the dipstick when its due for an oil change - at least if the 4 apex I ride with are "normal". 2 of these 4 have over 10,000 miles on them too.

Those of you burning oil, how did you break your motors in?

Do you not burn oil in your car? 4 Strokes burn oil to. I think that's totally normal as does my buddies who burn a small amounts as well. I've heard from many respectable Yamaha Techs and from Yamaha themselves that 1L per yrs is par for the course. Some burn less for sure but this would be average.

Rode 1200 miles this year and have not burned a drop. 1L for 2500 miles is crazy. My machine would be at the shop and I would be concerned. I don't burn any oil in my truck that has 160,000 miles on it. 4 strokes do not burn oil unless it is getting by something in the motor.

sportfury, I had the same problem when I added my K&Ns! I took the crap off & it quit! Never again will I jack with the airbox!!!

BR

Dont get nervous yet. Do a compression test, check the plugs, and look at the piston tops if you can. I'll bet the rings are fine. Valve seats could be leaking by but I've never heard of it on a new Yamaha.

Any oil in the airbox?

stoutner said:
Dont get nervous yet. Do a compression test, check the plugs, and look at the piston tops if you can. I'll bet the rings are fine. Valve seats could be leaking by but I've never heard of it on a new Yamaha.

Any oil in the airbox?

I noticed some oil in my air box and in the filter when I went to change my oil filter. What issues cause this?

Also how much oil does it take to go from Low to Full on dipstick?

Back