• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

vector ltx in deep snow

venturer

Veteran
Considering a new 2012 vector ltx and wondered how the ltx handles in deep snow. Have a venture lite with the 144 inch track but no good in deep powder. Yamaha class the vector ltx as a cross country trail, does this include deep powder riding?

venturer said:
Considering a new 2012 vector ltx and wondered how the ltx handles in deep snow. Have a venture lite with the 144 inch track but no good in deep powder. Yamaha class the vector ltx as a cross country trail, does this include deep powder riding?

Its not a seep snow machine.You would have to put sime wider skis on for some flotation instead of the stock pizza cutters.The skis will drastically help.The track will do alright for flat land unless you get 3ft or more then a deep lug track will be the way to go.

This machine stock is a trail cruiser. Calling it a cross country sled is not accurate. But it can be made into one with a little work. Off trail skis first thing. Then extending the sled to 144" or 151" length track to compensate for the sled's weight. Start eith these mods, then it will be an off trail capable sled enough for cross country. But without serious midification the sled will
Never excell in deep, deep powder.

The LTX is an awesome trail machine. I have a '10 GT and my buddy has an '11 LTX. I thought mine was a great trail machine but after riding his, that LTX is a superb machine. Was able to take both off-trail, both no good! Minimum you would need would be skis and 144 track at least.

I have a LTX and have played just a little off trail. as others have said, the stock skis suck off trail. I added the mountain skis and what a difference it made. Still not a great deep snow machine, but I am much more confident playing off trail with the wider skis. WARNING....You can still get stuck.......

Thanks all for the comments. Helps me to decide. I like the trails but sometimes I like to make my own trail. Maybe the nitro xtx is the way to go.

I have both, a 2008 Vector LTX GT and a 2009 Nytro XTX, in stock form I found the Vector LTX to be better in deep snow.

With the addition of MTX skis and a skid plate (2 musts for the XTX) the Nytro behaved much better off trail.

I added Pilot 6.9 skis to the Vector 2 winters ago and it helped it a bunch off trail. I found the skis to be the limiting factor for the Vector, while the Nytro plowed too much in the deep snow without the addition of the MTX skis and skid plate( I suspect the float plate would be even better)

I have never been to the gaff but I think you'd be fine.

I never had much of problem with ice build up, much less than the Nytro. I did however use a rust check spray under the tunnel so ice would not form.

I sure like the specs on the vector ltx. A lot of doo guys are trying to convince me to go with the renegade, but I'm a diehard yamy and want to stay with the 4 stroke.

Vectorltx2012. Rust check spray is a aerosol spray of antirust liquid which repels water/ice. It's a Canadian product which I'm not sure if it's available in the states. I would think so, but if not you can always jump on your sled and cross over to Manitoba to pick some up. That would be an awesome trip....

Back