• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone have Vector to Viper regrets?

Ultrafrozen

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha SR Viper
I'm thinking of upgrading my 2008 Vector short track to a 2015 Viper LTX DX with 137" track. I'm 50 years old, average trail riding speeds usually ride with the wife on her 2012 Vector LTX. My knees and hips take a pounding and I'm thinking the taller riding position will help.

Let me know if you have gone this route and regretted it.

I also went from a 2010 Vector ltx to a 2016 Viper ltx le and after 2 years I re-inherited my old Vector back when My Brother in law passed away as it was still in my name and there was an agreement that I had first crack to buy it back if he were to sell it. Anyhow I could not believe how uncomfortable I was on it compared to the Viper and I am only 5 foot 6. I put a 2" Rox riser on it for my son but I'll avoid running that sled now at all costs and to think I was so in love with that sled when I sold it. You won't regret the Viper for riding at all.

I had a 2014 Viper Ltx 137” and I wasn’t afraid to ride it anywhere. I loved to jump and plow through deep snow sped runs across the lakes. I bought my bride a 2012Vector 136” for the power steering. I really liked the ease of turning with it but that’s it. I rode it and started cramping at the hips. I jumped a few driveways and about lost the fillings in my teeth. Honestly it’s a great sled for her but not for me. I love the Viper other than the lack of hp now I graduated to a Sidewinder and never looked back.

I just went from the 121 Vector to the 137, I'm happy with the Vector's position.

Although I'm curious on how much HP you thought you lost.
How do you compare the performance on the two?

The Viper is a much more comfortable sled for the seating position and the suspension. I have 2 Vectors and have raised the seats and handle bars on both of them. Along with Hygear suspension on both of them . All of this makes a good sled better but after doing 300 miles in one day last month and changing between my buddys Viper and Vector offend the Viper wins . I can't say the suspension was that much more plush but between the upright position and the better front end the Viper was easier to drive.

Now on the back end . The Viper started harder, got 14/15 mpg to my 18/19 mpg , and out on the lake I could pass him with out trying. Up to 60mph he was ahead by a length but after that I walked right pass him. My sleds have been paid off a long time ago and owe me nothing. The rear suspension rides very well and they are very dependable. If the Viper had Yamaha Electronics I would buy one . Until then I'll keep what I have.

The Viper is a much more comfortable sled for the seating position and the suspension. I have 2 Vectors and have raised the seats and handle bars on both of them. Along with Hygear suspension on both of them . All of this makes a good sled better but after doing 300 miles in one day last month and changing between my buddys Viper and Vector offend the Viper wins . I can't say the suspension was that much more plush but between the upright position and the better front end the Viper was easier to drive.

Now on the back end . The Viper started harder, got 14/15 mpg to my 18/19 mpg , and out on the lake I could pass him with out trying. Up to 60mph he was ahead by a length but after that I walked right pass him. My sleds have been paid off a long time ago and owe me nothing. The rear suspension rides very well and they are very dependable. If the Viper had Yamaha Electronics I would buy one . Until then I'll keep what I have.

I've had the new Viper L-TX DX out riding with the wife on her 2012 Vector LTX and I have to say she's constantly using a little more gas than I do. I haven't calculated the MPG but on a 15L fill-up she would use a couple more litres. This was the same when I drove the 2008 carbureted Vector. You couldn't pay me to ride a Vector again, I don't care how crappy the YamaCat fit and finish is. I will miss the engine sound and quality feel of the Vector but the ride position and handling far outweigh the negatives.

Edit: My old Vector had a +2" riser and 4" foam seat add-on but it was a little soft and would squish to about 2" under butt.

I would ride my John Deere again before taking a viper or anything else with the extreme rev style forced rider forward position.

I would ride my John Deere again before taking a viper or anything else with the extreme rev style forced rider forward position.

The riser pivots. I can adjust it so my nards are huggin the tank or back so I'm having Vector flashbacks. Not trying to convince anyone but I've found what works to keep my tailbone from killing me after a 200 km ride.

Last edited:
It is hardly "extreme". The first REV was extreme, these are defiantly not.

Viper more comfortable better suspension but starts and runs like crap compared to my Vector. We all wonder how Yammaha could get that so terribly wrong. Vector is both faster AND uses less fuel. That said i'll take my viper any day the trail isn't pool table smooth

Viper more comfortable better suspension but starts and runs like crap compared to my Vector. We all wonder how Yammaha could get that so terribly wrong. Vector is both faster AND uses less fuel. That said i'll take my viper any day the trail isn't pool table smooth

I put about 1000km on the Viper so far and yes, the sound is different but I'm growing to like the throaty rumble. I don't find it runs any worse than the vector and starts well so far but I haven't had the pleasure of starting it below -15C (5F) yet. It has always started on the first or second crank warm or cold. I don't let the fuel pump cycle when warm and haven't had any issues. The Vector (carburetor) started with no problems in -37C (-35F) temps, no booster pack, nothing ever.

I bought this Viper used and know it has a Straighline Performance header on it with clutch mods. I haven't taken the time to look at the airbox yet but apparently there is frogzskin in there somewhere so it's probably modified. The thing goes like snot, skis lift at 60km/hr but will top out at 150 km/hr (93 mph) which is fine with me on the trails up here in Northeastern Ontario.

On all trips taken with the wife (2012 Vector LTX) my Viper would consistently use less gas.

The Viper's a plain L-TX DX and the only thing I wish it had was adjustable damping on the rear suspension. It's great for the rough stuff but I find it a little stiff on the smaller stuff. It sure would be nice to have the new AC remote adjust shock. The torsion springs are already on the softest setting.

The Vector is sold and was picked up today. I was sad to see it go but I don't have the space and need the cash for upgrades on the Viper.

The Viper's rider forward isn't all that extreme and nothing like the newest generation REV. To me the Viper's ergonomics compare to the Nytro more than any other platform. You sit up on these sleds with your feet under you making the transition from sitting to standing effortless and not fatiguing your legs or hips. I've logged a lot of miles on the new REV platform and unlike riding my Viper my hips and legs get fatigued after about 30-40 miles. The Vector isn't bad on groomed trails but without the ability to stand when the trails get rough it'll beat you up. Having the ability to easily stand also provides better handling allowing for more aggressive riding especially off trail.

I bought a 2017 STX DX with 137 track last November. I came off an 05 Vector with an 07 Nytro seat mod. I’m 66 years old with bad knees. I have no regrets. I love both sleds. The Nytro seat is a harder foam than the Apex or Vector seats so you actually sit about 2 - 3” higher than a stock Apex or Vector. My odometer reads 1365 miles after last season. The Viper seating is a little higher than my Vector but not a lot. I’m actually changing my Vector over to a 144 track and an Apex engine for next year. I’m going to let my grand daughter ride the Viper next year and I’m going to ride the Vector again. I have a ZX2 skid in the Vector so the ride is excellent. I bought the Vector new in 05 when my grand daughter was born so there is a lot of sentimental value in this sled.

Well I have both, my first Yamaha , a 2005 Vector RS , I extended the Tunnel/Track to 136 , The track kit was 9061H Cobra Package lug is 1.352 and a pair of Sly Dog's 7 inch Skis..... This combo which I just put together last year ( plus other comistic mods), made me fall back in love with the Vector again.... It pulls hard , and now does great in the loose stuff too, IT still a LOT OF FUN!! In 2016 I purchased a 2015 SR Viper LTX DX , LOVE IT , runs great, pulls hard can stand up easily on it for going o sh#tty areas... No Performance mods, just knee protectors(which I would say are a MUST on this Sled) , I have been on Trail(pack) , Loose Snow, and Powder and with the long track and power , it did well all around love Riding , LOTS OF PULL.... Changing one thing this Year , coming Next Week. :) Some Sly Dogs... 7 Inch same setup as Vector.... I would use either pending conditions, I conditions are poor , I can stand up on Viper so I wont take such a beating , if Trails are groomed , I am taking out my first love.... If we have fresh snow... I am on the Viper ... :) I am plan on keeping both they are both awesome sleds...

Back