• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Venture GT loose steering in column?

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 Yamaha Venture GT
Just bought my first sled- never sledded before.
My 2010 venture GT has loose steering - and it seems pretty tight up until the tie rods disappear into the front. Any common issues with this model that I should look at?

Edit- not forward/backward or side ti side but rotational. Tip of handlebar moves 1-2 inches before skies move. Or is this normal?

Last edited:

Just bought my first sled- never sledded before.
My 2010 venture GT has loose steering - and it seems pretty tight up until the tie rods disappear into the front. Any common issues with this model that I should look at?

Edit- not forward/backward or side ti side but rotational. Tip of handlebar moves 1-2 inches before skies move. Or is this normal?
These sleds have more steering linkages, etc, than other brand sleds. Most likely a little wear in many areas that add up to a lot at the handlebars.

Thank you for the reply- and videos or pictures of what it takes to get access to these? Also any recommended parts to fix them- i.e. bronze to replace plastic (read through alot of posts on vectors, but no ventures- do they have the same front end)?

the venture, vector, rx 1 and apex are pretty much all the same linkage wise for wear points.

on my 11 apex xtx with 18000 mi (30000 km), i just did the idler arm and pitman arm lower bushings as one had worked loose and that was where all my play was this year. a few years ago i had to do the left side spindle bushings as it was moving sideways in the housing.

On my 08 Apex LTX, I had replace this steering linkage as the two ball joints on the end of the linkage had the most play but like 74Nitro mentioned, there are a lot of steering linkages used.

SteeringSlop.JPG

How I found this part was by removing the air box, battery and battery tray (ie. like doing an oil change) as that provides you a good view of these steering linkages to help locate the play.

Number 16 is often worn, especially the ones that hold the handlebar/steering post.

Great- thank you. Will take it apart and look for loose connections- as i have access to a machine shop- anyone ever try swaping all the bushings with bearings?

Not so much with a bearing but there used to be a company called OFT that made the steering blocks out of aluminum and used an oilite bushing instead of plastic like the OEM.
SteeringBlock.JPG

Alot of play in 41 and 34. Will make a set of flanged bronze inserts with shoulder bolt.

Made 4 bronze bushings (#34) and a set of new #41 with no play - steering greatly improved. Thank you.

Made 4 bronze bushings (#34) and a set of new #41 with no play - steering greatly improved. Thank you.
I realized you posted this a little while back, how did you make your bushings? With a lathe or? I have the same issue in my 09 Venture GT with #34 and #41 having play. I also have some play in the same linkage as RobX-1 has and I have some up and down/side to side play in the arms that connect at the knuckles.

did those bushings around 18000 mi on my 11 xtx MitchRS. used oe but still good and tight 5000 mi later.

Last edited:
did those bushings around 18000 mi on my 11 xtx MitchRS. used oe but still good and tight 5000 mi later.
You installed all new OE plastic bushings and it tightened her up?

Last edited:
yes. just did both #16 on it this year in pre season and it is now as tight as when i bought it new. makes the 2016 look sloppy with only 5500 mi on it.

@maim My slop seems to be coming from the lower portion where #34 and #41 when I move it side to side. I also see a lot of play in #29. If I change those I should see some iimprovement but I'll verify #16 as well.

Back