• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Venture RST90 4 stroke won't turn over

Vioreder

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 Yamaha Venture RST90
Hi. I am new to the forum and looking forward to sharing info. Before I take me sled to the dealer, I am hoping someone can advise some simple things for me to check. I started the sled with the choke on and it fired up immediately as it always has. It cut out after 30 seconds before it warmed up and the light went, as it usually does. But any time previously when I start it again it fires up. This time it did not. It would not even turn over. When I turn the key I hear a click and the faint sound of something trying to draw power. I put in a new battery and no change. I changed out the starter solenoid relay and still get the same click and power draw sound. I assume therefor that there is an issue with my starter, either a bad connection, dirty brushes, etc. Any thoughts on something else I might check before I pull the starter? The sled only has 3000 km and I start it every month outside normal winter use to keep things lubed and moving. Thanks.

I would also assume the starter is bad. Check the output from the solenoid to it to ensure you're getting full 12v first. Also make sure you have a good ground from the battery.

Hi. I am new to the forum and looking forward to sharing info. Before I take me sled to the dealer, I am hoping someone can advise some simple things for me to check. I started the sled with the choke on and it fired up immediately as it always has. It cut out after 30 seconds before it warmed up and the light went, as it usually does. But any time previously when I start it again it fires up. This time it did not. It would not even turn over. When I turn the key I hear a click and the faint sound of something trying to draw power. I put in a new battery and no change. I changed out the starter solenoid relay and still get the same click and power draw sound. I assume therefor that there is an issue with my starter, either a bad connection, dirty brushes, etc. Any thoughts on something else I might check before I pull the starter? The sled only has 3000 km and I start it every month outside normal winter use to keep things lubed and moving. Thanks.
I'd start with the obvious first thing...check the negative wire, hopefully a mouse didn't chew through some cable to the starter and cause a ground. that's about all I know about motors and why they dont start but you get a click...loose black wire. Good luck and I'm sure many more responses will be coming. Welcome to the site...it's a great place to be if you own a Yamaha or more recently a Cat. Joe

I'd start with the obvious first thing...check the negative wire, hopefully a mouse didn't chew through some cable to the starter and cause a ground. that's about all I know about motors and why they dont start but you get a click...loose black wire. Good luck and I'm sure many more responses will be coming. Welcome to the site...it's a great place to be if you own a Yamaha or more recently a Cat. Joe
Thanks. I checked all wires, and disconnected and reconnected all wires, except for those on the starter itself as I cannot get at it.

I would also assume the starter is bad. Check the output from the solenoid to it to ensure you're getting full 12v first. Also make sure you have a good ground from the battery.
I do have a multimeter, which I used to confirm the resistance in the solenoid with and with out load. How do I check if there is 12 volts out of the solenoid?

Back