• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vin location on motor?

Just a quick verification, is the 10th digit the year of the sled just like a vehicle? Im going to look at a sled tomorrow and want to be sure its a 14 not a 13. I know my 08 has an 8 on the 10th digit but that's the only vin I have for reference.

Reviving a slightly old thread.

I don't have a full sled - just a Nytro engine that's going into an off road car. My engine has 8GL01 Y-1 on the cylinder and then 8GL-004911 on the case (guessing production number). I was under the assumption that I have a 2013 powerplant, but when I ordered a crank case cover, it ended up being different from the one on the sled.

Can anyone verify what year the 8GL code is? According to the 2013 parts book that I have for it the code is 8Jh1

I need to figure out what year it is so I can get the right case cover (the magneto side.)

I looked my Yamaha book, 8GL-000015 is the start of the serial number run. Yours is 4896 after the first one was installed in the FX10X model, assuming that's base model sled. I cant tell what year yours is, but the mag housing gasket is the same from 2008 to 2015. I looked the gasket up on Yamaha's website. Other wise, call local Yamaha dealer. Get them to call head office, they will be able to tell you what the motor is from. Good luck.

Thanks Red.

After a little more searching and paying attention to the prefix in the part number, not just the numbers, it would appear that the 8GL is 2011.
The cover I ordered is an 8HF series, which is 2012+. Yamaha changed the cover and magneto from 2011 to 2012.
One of those Captain Obvious things after paying a little more attention...

Anyone need a Crankcase Cover 1 for a 2012 forward? I'll be glad to send it to you, no charge. My screw up is someone's gain.

Back