• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper BTX Opinions

NLSledder

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Switchback 600
Hello Everyone, new member here and was looking for some opinions on the viper BTX. I'm currently riding a 2009 polaris 600 switchback and it's definitely in need of replacement. Love yamaha products and their reliability, so I am looking at a 2017 viper BTX that a local dealer has leftover.

My riding style consists of anything from backcountry powder riding/hill climbing to 250 km trail rides, so I need a sled that can do it all and the BTX seems like a great package for what I want to do. I know it was a limited build sled and there isn't that much information on them, so any feedback from someone with seat time would be great.

Also, do the 2017s suffer from some of the earlier viper problems like cold start issues, weak rods, excessive steam, etc. The 600 cfi I have now has cold start issues so i'd like to finally be free of that!

Btx would fit your Bill for sure. If you were happy with the power of your 600 you will be happy with power of BTX. 16.5 to Current all have weak rods. Just can't turbo them. That's all. As for starting I have never had a issue but others have. Some start better with a prime some better with no prime. some require two try's to start. All don't start it unless you are going to ride it or at least run it till it is hot. I haven't heard of any that refuse to start other than a frozen relay or bad battery etc. for last few years.

Steve, not sure if that information about the rods is correct. As an owner of a 2016 MPI I am very familiar with the issues of the rods. Here is what I know. My motor blew up with the updated rods and the factory replaced it with a current spec Viper motor and allowed me to keep the turbo. I called Dave at Hurricane and what he told me when I was trying to buy Carrillo's for it was to wait and see what they sent. If is was a 17 or 18 then no need to upgrade. I figure if he does not want my 1K then it must be legit information. He said they have put a bunch of Turbo's on 17 and 18 Vipers. He told me they have the same rods and crank as the Sidewinders. I think that Yamaha had such a bad experience with the MPI fiasco that it would rather just tell people they cant than deal with what may come. I may be wrong but that is what I know to this point.

Steve, not sure if that information about the rods is correct. As an owner of a 2016 MPI I am very familiar with the issues of the rods. Here is what I know. My motor blew up with the updated rods and the factory replaced it with a current spec Viper motor and allowed me to keep the turbo. I called Dave at Hurricane and what he told me when I was trying to buy Carrillo's for it was to wait and see what they sent. If is was a 17 or 18 then no need to upgrade. I figure if he does not want my 1K then it must be legit information. He said they have put a bunch of Turbo's on 17 and 18 Vipers. He told me they have the same rods and crank as the Sidewinders. I think that Yamaha had such a bad experience with the MPI fiasco that it would rather just tell people they cant than deal with what may come. I may be wrong but that is what I know to this point.
Cool! That would be nice. Ulmer and Yamaha say 16.5+ Rods cannot handle turbo. So I don’t know who to believe.

Thanks guys I don't plan to turbo so that's not an issue for me. I wonder how the 153 with floats will ride on a trail?

Going to look at the sled in the next couple days, see how I like it in person! I'm 6' 7" so it's very important to me how a sled fits.

A friend of mine got a BTX 2017 and it great machine for on trail and off. Handles very vice.

Well I went and had a look at the btx today, looks like a nice sled but there were a couple things I noticed that didn't impress me.

All the new sleds there, both vipers and winders, had what I would consider excessive play in their steering. Dealer also had a used viper with 2000 Kms with 2-3 inches of play in each direction. According to them play is normal?? If it does happen or get that bad, is it easy to fix?

Well I went and had a look at the btx today, looks like a nice sled but there were a couple things I noticed that didn't impress me.

All the new sleds there, both vipers and winders, had what I would consider excessive play in their steering. Dealer also had a used viper with 2000 Kms with 2-3 inches of play in each direction. According to them play is normal?? If it does happen or get that bad, is it easy to fix?
Many had a nut that loosened. I Loctited the heck out of that nut and added a nice Aluminum Steering post clamp. 13000mi later I have 1/2in of play which is acceptable I believe. That nut can be accessed through the right side rubber boot and there is a repair and reinforcement kit available from Cat and Possibly Yamaha. Pain to do though. I believe the Aluminum and bronze Post clamp took almost all stress off that nut that loosens on bottom. Highly recommend especially if you are hard on the bars carving or roll it over once in awhile!

Its been so long I dont remember who made this but I really like it and worth $ at any cost. Someone help me here. OFT?
DSC01072.JPG

At least it can be fixed without taking off too many parts if it ever did become an issue.

Yes OFT, got one last year and love how the steering post no longer moves up and down. Just another Cat upgrade

Very easy upgrade. You can see the wear on the old clamp, had some movement that was noticeable.

Attachments

• IMG_3781.JPG
    IMG_3781.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3782.JPG
    IMG_3782.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 101

Back