• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Burning Oil when climbing

freefallin700

So I just got back from Colorado riding around 10k feet. We were doing some steep, fairly long climbs 50-60 degree hills. My sled is a 2014 XTX Viper turbo. I was running 10 lbs of boost. About 100-200 feet in the climb my sled starts to burn oil. One of my climbs the sled lost prime and the oil light came on. Luckily I made it through the climb before the sled quit at the top. I was able to get it primed up and the sled ran fine. If I am just riding around the sled doesn't burn any oil. It only burns on steep climbs. What gives?

freefallin700 said:
So I just got back from Colorado riding around 10k feet. We were doing some steep, fairly long climbs 50-60 degree hills. My sled is a 2014 XTX Viper turbo. I was running 10 lbs of boost. About 100-200 feet in the climb my sled starts to burn oil. One of my climbs the sled lost prime and the oil light came on. Luckily I made it through the climb before the sled quit at the top. I was able to get it primed up and the sled ran fine. If I am just riding around the sled doesn't burn any oil. It only burns on steep climbs. What gives?
m8

Just wondering why you say burning oil? Are you getting black smoke or see it leaking?

freefallin700 said:

Check your turbo for horizontal play. There should be no left to right slop. If it is your oil is going through the turbo.

Re: oil

freefallin700 said:
If it was the turbo wouldn't it always do it? The only time it is burning oil is on a steep climb at WOT.

Sorry to ask, but is oil hitting the exhaust and burning or is it actually burning through the exhaust. I would guess the turbo as well.

freefallin700 said:
If it was the turbo wouldn't it always do it? The only time it is burning oil is on a steep climb at WOT.

no you will see this more under full load.
I work on heavy equipment all the time and all of it has a turbo. High load is were you start to see the problems.

If you want to get more in detail, get a magnetic base and a dial micrometer and check left to right play. Then call the manufacturer and ask what is acceptable.

I call it the clunk, clunk.

Most of the time if it is a turbo, we do not replace the intake and exhaust housings if they are good. we just get a new turbo cartridge. much cheaper than a new turbo.

Its an easy check. Start there first.

Depending on the orientation of your turbo centre section maybe the turbo is not draining properly when you are climbing.

freefallin700 said:
I have the Hurricane kit from Dave.

I guess just wait until Monday and give him a call. And hope it's not your turbo!

Let us know! Hope it turns out good for you.

The fact that it is intermittent and possibly "attitude" related, I'd be looking at the drain routing.

A ball bearing (assuming) turbo needs a properly restricted oil feed. All turbos need a large, free flowing oil drain. This line cannot have "bellys" or "traps" in it. The turbo drain is evacuating oil, but also a lot of "air" as well. It needs to flow free to open crankcase, oil tank, or have a scavenge pump. If pressure builds in the drain or it gets restricted the "piston ring" seals in the turbo cannot do their job.

If the turbo drain returns to the engine case it is possible that when the vehicle attitude is nose up for an extended period of time oil is accumulating in the line or case and causing back pressure in the drain.

TD Max said:
The fact that it is intermittent and possibly "attitude" related, I'd be looking at the drain routing.

A ball bearing (assuming) turbo needs a properly restricted oil feed. All turbos need a large, free flowing oil drain. This line cannot have "bellys" or "traps" in it. The turbo drain is evacuating oil, but also a lot of "air" as well. It needs to flow free to open crankcase, oil tank, or have a scavenge pump. If pressure builds in the drain or it gets restricted the "piston ring" seals in the turbo cannot do their job.

If the turbo drain returns to the engine case it is possible that when the vehicle attitude is nose up for an extended period of time oil is accumulating in the line or case and causing back pressure in the drain.

It is a ball bearing turbo that Dave is using.

Its easy enough to check. Remove the compressor side tubing that goes to the intake and see if its clean. There should be absolutely nothing in there, no oil, no dirt no nothing. If there is any oil residue in there its not good.

Back