• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper or sidewinder

Yamaha81

Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 Yamaha Viper
Hey guys!

Is it worth upgrading from a viper to sidewinder.
Right now I have an 14 Viper 137. Looking at a 2017 Sidewinder 141. Is it worth upgrading?

You won't be disappointed! But the EPS on the Sidewinder is a hit also, just saying!
Thanks! EPS?? Electronic Power Steering? Would that be on a 17 Sidewinder? Thought that didn’t come until 2022. Also what’s your take on the fox float shocks?

I have both and I see the Viper as a sport bike and the Sidewinder as a crotch rocket. I still use the Viper on days when we are riding in the woods and just hanging out in an area messing around. The Viper is also much better in low snow and on the lake when snow conditions aren't good as it has a radiator and it is much more forgiving in regards to heating up. The Sidewinder is awesome of course, especially on days when you want to cruise long trails and get somewhere in a hurry, but I have to shut it down whenever we stop or it starts to get warm really fast. Even just stopping for a minute to discuss a trail turn or something I shut it down. But overall I like the sidewinder better, it is more cushy and while the Viper is pretty much all in at 85 mph the Sidewinder is barely getting started. Mine are both pretty much in stock form.

You are correct, didn't come till 2022, it is a better EPS than on the Apex. The ride is going to be better also! Just be careful coming into corners, you'll have a constant pull way past 100MPH. It could use a extra gallon to the 8.9 gallon gas tank.

I have both also, other than hood removal on the older Vipers (newer ones have different body panels) they are identical to work on. Same chassis, same suspension, same drive train, same clutches (except winder has roller secondary), same chain case, same seat, same handle bars and riser...same, same, same. Both my sleds are heavily modded from suspension/shocks to tune and clutch kits, cai but stock mufflers can't stand loud mufflers. The winder is insanely fast, one better have a responsible throttle thumb even on a bone stock machine. The Viper is much tamer but just as fun while trail riding, when set up properly they have more top end then 85, I hit 95 on the GPS a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't ideal conditions, 30* and not a real hard trail. If you really enjoy speed then the winder is your sled. If you just enjoy riding at a good clip (say 70-80) on most straight aways then a Viper is a good choice and less expensive to purchase and operating cost will be less too.

My Viper will go over 85, but after 85 it’s a much slower climb up. 0-85 is pretty fast. I hit 103 once on an iced over road. :)

Last edited:
I had friends with an early VIper and 7000. Lots of gremlins with those first 2-3 yrs - exhaust burning out, ecu, bearing issues, ecu, shock miscalibration.

When the sidewinder came - they seem to have got it right. Nice balanced sled. Sure there are things to watch out for - but this site documents them all well. Sled is awesome to ride. You want to trail ride easy all day - you got it. You want to be fastest down the lake - you got it.

MS

Just went from a 2015 viper xtx 141 to a 2022 sidewinder xtx se. I feel out of the box the sidewinder handles much better then viper. I can easily ride it in complete stock form and be satisfied with it. Power wise down low there isn’t really a huge difference. Once you get above 30 mph is when you really notice it come on. It pulls very hard right up to 85-90 mph and then slows a bit but keeps on pulling. So far I’m happy with my upgrade and would do it again. Ask me again once I have 10,000 kms under my belt on it and maybe that will change some if I have issues with it. So far in 1,000 kms it’s been trouble free aside from the voltage regulator that cat forgot to fasten.(found it laying in the belly pan)

Thanks guys appreciate all the feedback. This website is great

I have both. a '15 Viper LTX SE and a '17 Sidewinder LTX LE. I can't add much that's already been said. The Viper has a lot of low end grunt and the SW is great top end (with lots of arm pull.) Both seem mostly the same, other than the power really. The skis on both suck. I opted for Cat skis with slim jims for the Viper. Haven't decided on that or trying the Strykes on the SW just yet. The only other gripe I have about the Viper is the clutch is noisier (to the point that when I first got it I had to ask the dealer if there was something wrong.) And the side panel screws are a stupid design and difficult to put back in. EPS would be a nice addition to both of them if available.

I have both. a '15 Viper LTX SE and a '17 Sidewinder LTX LE. I can't add much that's already been said. The Viper has a lot of low end grunt and the SW is great top end (with lots of arm pull.) Both seem mostly the same, other than the power really. The skis on both suck. I opted for Cat skis with slim jims for the Viper. Haven't decided on that or trying the Strykes on the SW just yet. The only other gripe I have about the Viper is the clutch is noisier (to the point that when I first got it I had to ask the dealer if there was something wrong.) And the side panel screws are a stupid design and difficult to put back in. EPS would be a nice addition to both of them if available.
Snowaddict! Thanks for the info, it’s very helpful. How do you like to cat skis on the viper? What kind of shocks do you have on the viper? I mostly trail ride in northern maine

Snowaddict! Thanks for the info, it’s very helpful. How do you like to cat skis on the viper? What kind of shocks do you have on the viper? I mostly trail ride in northern maine
Cat skis are definitely an upgrade. Viper shocks are the stock ones (Fox floats.) Still haven't quite figured out the set up yet, but that's definitely not my forte.

Back