• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper shock ?

BoneDaddy

So watched the videos and listened to them talk about how the guys got the suspenion dialed in !

But if you look they are riding it with Fox P Zeros and not the Hpgs they say on the spec sheet.

I hope they dont screw it up like they did my Hpg on my 07 apex rtx .

Im just saying that if you say it handles it better come with shocks your riding on then.

Ever think about what HPG stands for? Last I checked it stood for High Pressure Gas, therefore it could be ANY gas shock from ANY company. IF you see FOX shocks on it now, that's what will be on it when you buy it.

Don't be so sure, look at the Yamaha web site and zoom in on the pics in the gallery, the first pic of the sled shows Fox and the pic of the skid has no name on the shocks...and an extra set of idler wheels on the outside of the rails. I wouldn't be so sure what shocks are on it until you see them in production form in person. Remember the 06-07 Nytro pics showed the anti bottom bumpers on the rails that didn't show up on the skids when delivered? I'm still leaning towards getting a Viper but I need to see it in person.

SRXSRULE2 said:
Ever think about what HPG stands for? Last I checked it stood for High Pressure Gas, therefore it could be ANY gas shock from ANY company. IF you see FOX shocks on it now, that's what will be on it when you buy it.

You are correct.I worried about this also.Turns out AC is going back to ACT shocks or FOX copycats like I call them and the HPG just stands for High Pressure Gas.I wonder how FOX allows this?Might just be the same FOX shocks without their name on them?I just hope Yamaha didnt specify some way off valving like in past.Cat does a very good job most times in valving and the valving is very specific to the model.Yamaha will benefit from them in that aspect for sure.Hopefully Yamaha will publish specs and give ALL dealers access to parts.Heck AC even publishes race specs for there guys right on internet for all to see.

Well I believe Yamaha owns part of (or controlling power) of KYB who they have used for years. See their shocks on team Yellow all the time. All shocks can be good or bad. The setup and valving is what makes the shock. They can't be perfect for everyone but if they are in the ballpark, fine tuning can be made. How often do you see a shock break that wasn't abused. Some are better then others but it is usually the valving in which riders compare the different shocks.

Funny how everyone is all worried about Cat quality and it's us who have been spending all our riding time trying to figure out set up and shock re-valving? Most cats you can ride out of the box and handle and ride better.

This is true. However everyone's riding style is different and it makes it difficult to find a "happy medium" for everyone.
Think of it this way, what would you rather do? Spend time dialing in your shocks, perhaps spending some money to get it the way you like it? Buy a sled that rides awesome but costs you thousands of dollars in blown belts, engines, you name it, not to mention down time in a short season? I don't question that the people at Yamaha spend more time on their engines then any other company because they are after all an engine manufacturer. I'm not trying to defend them and yes I'd like my sled to ride perfect out of the crate as well. But hey, I don't have the thought of "how long will this ticking time bomb last" in my head when I ride. I'll spend the money on the shocks and ride.

Yamaha says everything from the chaincase to the track is Cat. For the cost of getting another source for shocks, even though Yamaha uses FOX, they would probably only change them if they really thought they had an issue. Remember the Viper's back in 02? Everyone said they were too stiff. Pretty sure there was a shock update for 03 and the 02's were fixed as well.

The fix for the 02 viper was to get them revalved.....yamaha didn't help with that.....I know this because I have one

SRXSRULE2 said:
This is true. However everyone's riding style is different and it makes it difficult to find a "happy medium" for everyone.
Think of it this way, what would you rather do? Spend time dialing in your shocks, perhaps spending some money to get it the way you like it? Buy a sled that rides awesome but costs you thousands of dollars in blown belts, engines, you name it, not to mention down time in a short season? I don't question that the people at Yamaha spend more time on their engines then any other company because they are after all an engine manufacturer. I'm not trying to defend them and yes I'd like my sled to ride perfect out of the crate as well. But hey, I don't have the thought of "how long will this ticking time bomb last" in my head when I ride. I'll spend the money on the shocks and ride.

Yamaha says everything from the chaincase to the track is Cat. For the cost of getting another source for shocks, even though Yamaha uses FOX, they would probably only change them if they really thought they had an issue. Remember the Viper's back in 02? Everyone said they were too stiff. Pretty sure there was a shock update for 03 and the 02's were fixed as well.

Don't get me wrong I love my Yamaha's that's why I have no doubt the Viper is going to get me back after a day of riding, with that said I know for a fact a "happy medium" Isn't a shock that is stiff as hell yet bottoms very easy on larger bumps. I think the 07 Nytro skid shocks would have worked better with the stack flipped over.

Some dealers up here in the great white north were nice enough to give the 02 owners a full set of 03 shocks. I rode an 02 with original shocks and 03 back to back and the difference wasn't really night and day. A guy I know bought an 02 and 03 and he says he doesn't even notice the difference. So it just goes to show you the average rider won't notice.
I still have an 03 and I wasn't happy with it until I valved the fronts the way I like it. The rear I swapped out for a 09 monoshock about 3 years ago. Now it rides better than any viper out there but its still not up to today's standards.
Even still If I was looking at buying this Viper, the factory shocks wouldn't be the main pivoting factor of buy or not buy. The SE models have the float 2's which I'm not a fan of. Considering you can get Float Evol X's on the Cat, I think they should be available on the RTX SE. After all they had the Float X's on the rtx se back in 09.

The Fox p zero s are great shocks and kitty kat got them dialed in .

yes i know what hpg stands for but why not state what shock you run. they are happy to tell you when its a fox float.

i guess cuz its not there gas shock .

Back