• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wider stance for 2016 Viper MTX

Darr12

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Vioer MTX
Hi,
I purchased a 2016 Viper MTX, and am using it mostly backcountry, not mountainous backcountry. I like the long track length and the extra floatation that it provides. I find it very, very tippy especially in snow conditions when there is light crust on the snow, in fact dangerously so, been thrown off a couple of times and I consider myself an experienced rider, with wider machines before this, been riding for years. Have the skis set to the wider 38” position and lowered the front shocks, still very tippy. Just wondering if anyone has replaced the front arms with wider ones from a different machine ( read on here that one guy did it with a Sidewinder front end) and was wondering about the result? Did it make the machine more stable? How was the handling? Or any other findings about the change.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

what you are describing was the btx/xtx sleds. guys would put on the trail front end and shocks to make it more stable.

my brother did this to an 09 apex mtx.

what you are describing was the btx/xtx sleds. guys would put on the trail front end and shocks to make it more stable.

my brother did this to an 09 apex

So didnit work well for him?

he loves it when he has time to ride. i have a pretty hard time keeping up with him in the trails on my 11 xtx vs him on that 162" monster. guys with 128 have trouble riding with him in the trails.

Just an update for guys looking to widen their mtx’s for backcountry riding in all conditions… I replaced the whole 2016 viper mtx front end - upper and lower a-arms, spindle, shocks, tie rods, everything, with a front end from a 2016 Arctic Cat Snopro. Made the width of the ski stance 42”, they can go 43. They were 38” with the mtx front end. Was riding it for most of the last two days and now the machine is too nice to get off. Best thing I’ve ever ridden, very comfortable - the Fox Floats don’t hurt either, amazing they are (found that 70lb off the ground was the best setting for me, less roll in the corners), and I can ride all day with one arm if I want. Before I was completely tensed to the max trying to keep the machine from rolling on me, it was that tippy. Now it’s just as stable as the wide track Expeditions I’ve had, and a lot easier to handle in tight spaces or any spaces for that matter. Couldn’t be happier that I made the switch, was ready to sell the machine and now I love it. Love the long track floatation with the wide ski stance for stability along with the nice power band of the Genesis. What a machine for backcountry riding, like I said couldn’t be happier with it.

Back