• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

vk 1000 spark plug problem

wayne

Extreme
the engine shuts down until I replace the fouled plug and then it runs fine. each time it is a different cylinder.. clean up the plug and it can be used again.. this happens every 70 to 80 km. any suggestions or thoughts on this problem??? I had a venture tf 1000 last season and did over 4000 kms and never touched the spark plugs...

Try a whole new set of plugs first, fouled plugs are best placed in the trash can. The manual says to use CR8E, but my Rage came with CR9E. CR9EK and CR10EK are also used with good results, though they are expensive, so I'd recomend you try a new set of the regular plugs while attempting to isolate the problem. The 8's may be a little less likely to foul since they are hotter.

The first time it happened i replaced the complete set with new plugs cr8e and they only lasted about 60 km . the dealer thinks it might be a fuel problem so i will take it in a let them check out a few things...

took it to the dealer and they checked carbs and choke and everything seems fine.. I guess i will give it another try and see what happens..

Weird issue... make sure you are not doing any quick start-up/shut-downs either, as that will kill plugs too. Seeing as you already had a TF, I highly doubt you would be doing this. Keep us posted as to what happens, it does sound like a rich scenario.

-JS

hi Wayne
I have an other person on our french forum CMIQ here in quebec that get the same fouling plug problem on his VK. He also complain about poor fuel milage... . I know that his dealer is working hard trying to solve the problem. I will post you if they find something.... and if you get solution on your side, keep me inform ;)!

Bye
Alain

Did about 300km with a good part of the time pulling a heavy sled and didn't have anymore trouble.. I had the front screen sealed of so that I wouldn't get any snow in there when going through deep powder, after I started having this problem I opened it up again. It was sealed off for a short time when I started having this problem.. Now i am wondering if this was causing problem.. Also when I started the engine when it was cold I might have been letting the choke stay on too long.. On the tf model I had last season I would let the engine warm up before I turned the choke completely off.. I have been told this model is more touchy.. Anyhow it seems to be working fine for now......

Leaving the choke on for the whole warm up cycle will definetly foul plugs. I usaully start backing down the choke to half after 5 or 10 seconds, unless it is very cold.

Thanks for updating...

I found starting the Vector I turn the key and open the choke gradually until it fires and then gradually back off the choke as quickly as I can and keep it running and then let it climb to temp with choke off. Usually about half choke is all that is needed.

Back