• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

VK owners

YETI

Extreme
If you read this add something like what you do with your VK, your likes even dislikes. Pics of your VK at work play what has been done to your sled to help you do what you do. I will get some of mine this week and the next time I try grooming. I go on a trip the 14th to the 24th of feb. I will get some pics then too and try to put them in.We are a small group compaired to other sled groups. I was just wondering how many owners read here in the VK post and trying to get more post. It seems at this point there is only a few that are in here. Thanks Stan ;)!

Ok, new here, new VK owner - I get delivery tomorrow.

I groom sled dog trails in Alaska for myself and the neighborhood mushers. I have two drags, both homemade, both quite crude, both work great. I also use a homemade packer/toboggan which is 48" x 8', has an alum. sheet underneath and is quite heavy. The grooming needs for sprint dog sledding is quite different than for XC skiing, and even different than for long distance dog sledding. I'll try to post photos in the near future.

I've been lurking on this forum for a few days, and have been keenly eyeing the VK for a long time, and the info on these pages has given me the courage to make the decision to go with one, when everyone else uses the SWT's. Hopefully they won't be laughing at me!

welcome to ty4stroke the VK might be heavier than other work machines but it is a yamaha and 4stroke (120 genesis one of the most dependable engines)I belive it will do just about anything you want. I have heard they won't go through the powder Well I have had mine in 3' of powder breaking trail on my sap trail stoped cut trees and and took off again in low no spin and it was fluff in the woods. Not the hardest test but the worse I will be in with it. I have read about the towing and think the torque of the 4 stroke will out do a 2 stroke..IMO :4STroke:

Took delivery of the VK today, and all I have to say is...Wow!
Really nice machine. the VK Pro is the dog's bollocks. pulls like a diesel, rides like a pimped out cadillac, sounds like a cross between Harley on a conveyor belt and a sewing macine with aftermarket pipes. I almost feel guilty grooming with it, on second thought, no. I'll try to post some images of what I'm pulling with it tomorrow.

I never heard a sewing machine with pipes but that is a cool saying. Hope you love your sewing machine like I do.

I have my second vk pro and so far I find the hi-lo a definite advantage especially when towing heavy loads. Gas milage when you are cruising and using hi gear seems to be better The biggest complaint i have with this sled is the issue of darting on the trails I wish it had a sway bar but although it has all the gear in place for it there isn't one avialable yet. Someone in the tech section suggested shimming the skis. Has anybody done this or is it only me that has this problem

Hi TY readers...

I am a new VK owner as of 1/19. I put 20,000 miles on two Polaris widetracks in years past. This 120hp monster is the ultimate dual purpose machine for me. I can keep up with the fast sleds on the groomed trails and I can haul gear through deep snow to get to camp. It handles grooming chores much better than the Polaris. As mentioned, the torque at start-up is the most amazing feature. My 2000 Polaris worked hard to groom at 10mph in low range when the snow piled up on the groomer. The VK just cruised along at 10mph just above idle...maybe 4000 rpm...quiet and not working hard at all. One negative is the weight when making tight manuvers in the deep stuff to avoid getting stuck. The Polaris was slightly easier to toss around...not that you can toss either machine. I think the VK is about 150 lbs. heavier than the polaris. It is a bit more money too.

The ripsaw track makes alot of noise on groomed trails at 40 to 50 mph and ear plugs were necessary for me on long rides. I have 800 miles on it so far riding on mostly fast groomed trails. After the 500 mile mark I tried some breif speed runs and 90mph is about tops according to the speedo. My GPS said 83 which is normal as most sleds read 10% higher on the dial.

I agree with the previous member that the darting and tippy handling is a mild concern on groomed trails. I considered putting Simmons skis on but I looked at the stockers and noticed the turn-up at the back of the ski for reverse operations. The Simmons would dig in when reversing in some situations...so I'm staying with stock and going with 6" or 8" carbides. I went with 136 studs in the track center and my dealer installed a tunnel protector under the muffler and exchanger. He used a factory item up front but made a tube steel protector for the muffler. I hit some big dips and bottomed at 70mph which should have scratched something but I checked and no marks so far.

I'm curious about past posts suggesting moving both 1/2" ski spacers to the outside which would gain about an inch of width. Does anyone think that would help?

So far I'm very impressed with the VK. It even started easily in -35f last week in northern Maine. This web site is a great help...lots of tips. ;)!

since this is my second vk pro( 8000 km on the first ) i have had time to try a few things to try and improve the handling. The spacers will help some of the tippiness. Today I tried shimming the skis You can also tighten your limiter strap to put a little more weight on the skis tommorrow I go on a 7-8 day trip
I will let you know if the shimming stops the darting.
Before the vk I had 4 widetrak polaris sleds over a 14 year period and they were almost trouble free with an average of 12000 miles on each sled.

This is a much more powerfull but we will have to see how it withstands the test of time and miles.

I agree that the Polaris widetracks were very reliable. The only issues after 20,000 miles were the bogie wheels coming loose...I'm guilty of not doing a preflight check before each trip. Bogie bearing failure is normal on every sled so I can't count these sort of problems. I never had a Polaris fail to start. I only hope the Yamaha comes close to this reliability and what I have heard and read is encouraging.

Regarding the limiter strap, I had an old Yamaha SRV and it was very tippy at first. Taking up the strap helped alot in 1983 but I hesitate making adjustments until I get some more time with the sled in deep snow...added ski weight may hurt powder performance.

Back