• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Walbro gss342

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
Looking into a Walbro gss342 that Walbro sells for $107us. Amazon has what is described as same for $63us.
It's tough to know what's real and what's a copy, but $40 is $40.
Anyone know where to get one at a decent price?
Screenshot_20231103-044854_copy_360x675.png

Last edited:

First thing I would say is don't shop on your phone. The mobile interfaces to many websites have to hide details in order to fit everything on the mobile screen. Its the details that give away whether something is fake or not. Having said that, there are several walbro GSS342 pumps on Amazon for between 69 and 73 dollars from seemingly reputable stores. Its Amazon, if its not the real thing, send it back.

First thing I would say is don't shop on your phone. The mobile interfaces to many websites have to hide details in order to fit everything on the mobile screen. Its the details that give away whether something is fake or not. Having said that, there are several walbro GSS342 pumps on Amazon for between 69 and 73 dollars from seemingly reputable stores. Its Amazon, if its not the real thing, send it back.
So after much review, Walbro has rebranded to T1, which is the parent company. I can safely assume the $25 version is the knockoffs. $60++ for just the jump is about right.
Watched too many reviews where people are disappointed with it. Either too loud, failure rate, etc. Lol.
Makes one wonder if it should the factory pump should even be changed out just yet.
So, I'll do the harness & return line. And wait till I grow into Max20 +/-

Walbro direct Number 1(989) 872-2131 they can help you in the right direction… Believe they are in Cass City, Michigan and have been for many years….

You will need to cut one of the connectors off and crimp on a new female connector as stock uses a small a large do polarity isn’t mixed up, these do not they are same connector. And after taking this out and doing the swap I’m nervous to start it for some reason. Lol

Looking into a Walbro gss342 that Walbro sells for $107us. Amazon has what is described as same for $63us.
It's tough to know what's real and what's a copy, but $40 is $40.
Anyone know where to get one at a decent price?
View attachment 173935
This is exactly what I have and I have no desire to roll the dice on fakes.. Buy from a reputable genuine parts store.. This is a very important part for tunes sleds..

Call Steve at full throttle speed, I believe he sells them., and hydro mats for tank

It's come to my attention that when going to bigger tunes and utilizing MS19/20, one could add a bigger pump in keeping deto at bay.
So instead of needing 100 octane one could utilize 93 octane and a small splash of boostane, to keep things in check.
Sure would make life a whole lot easier.
Any truth to those words?

It's come to my attention that when going to bigger tunes and utilizing MS19/20, one could add a bigger pump in keeping deto at bay.
So instead of needing 100 octane one could utilize 93 octane and a small splash of boostane, to keep things in check.
Yes, I have always run 93 when I was running MS19/20 with a big pump.

Yes, I have always run 93 when I was running MS19/20 with a big pump.
Thanks Slow998.... I'll be heading that direction mid-year if everything goes right.
What was your choice for intercoolers?

Mostly radar stuff, any long stretches?
Ya, we have a few straight stretches that 2 miles long. I make some long pulls and IATs become an issue... but I don't race all that often on the railroad bed anymore.

There's allot more to keeping deto at bay than just octane. Every "tune" starting at stock level and going on up needs certain things to prevent deto. First, the map has to be right (usually developed from lots of hours on dyno). Right means right boost, right timing, right injectors (capacity), right injector pulse, right engine cooling, right inter-cooler,etc. One can make up for too low octane (to a certain point) by richer fuel mixture. Or, running Boostane. As far as bigger pump preventing deto, that is not necessarily true if there are other issues like boost leaks, engine with too high compression, too much timing, injectors too small, coolant temps too high, IAT too high, etc. Every tune is engineered to run at a certain fuel pressure (stock 998s = 43 psi, key on engine not running). As long as the pump can keep the fuel pressure rail at the right psi, assuming everything else is right, then all should be ok. However if the fuel pump can't keep up with demand, then the AF ratio will get leaner and deto will likely result. No doubt bigger tunes need more fuel delivery. I've always heard that stock fuel pump is ok up to about 270HP. IDK. Keep in mind, the 998 turbo system is a boost reference system meaning that fuel pressure goes up and down like boost does. For every 1 lb of boost added, fuel pressure will also increase 1 lb. At some point, the injectors aren't big enough (volume-wise) to delivery enough fuel within the allowable pulse width the ECU has to work with.
When in doubt, a bigger fuel pump is a good idea IMO. Fuel not needed by the injectors is just returned to tank via the return line. Raising octane via Boostane IMO is also not a bad idea. Raising octane even 2-3 points (from pump 91 or more) does help prevent deto. Lots of guys who data log can see the difference Boostane makes.
Not sure about TD and Hurricane's biggest pump tunes, but for my Stage 4 PEFI tune (330 HP), I have to run fuel pressure at 58 psi (key on engine not running) in order for stock injectors to flow enough to keep engine fed adequately. So an adjustable FPR is also handy. You can richen whole fuel map by just increasing FP a few pounds.

Back