• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Want to add an oil fill hole to my chaincase,thoughts

snowbeast

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 apex xtx traded for a 2017 sidewinder L-tx-le
FACEBOOK
yes
YOUTUBE
yes
Ok I have heard a lot of us complaining about us not having an easy fill hole,i agree 100% as well. So who has done this mod? I will look over the top this summer,and see if there is a place we can get to up top. As it does not look like there is much room under the servo motor. I don't know if 3/8" hole drilled and tapped would be large enough to get funnel into?

How often do you have to add oil?!

Personally I dont feel it would be worth it for the 1 time a year I change the oil.

My 2 cents
I do understand that reasoning,but as I was looking over things the other day,before our last big ride,i noticed my sight window,was so low I could barley see anything,and I started to remove the servo motor,but did not have my book to remind me how to reset it back up correctly,and it got me mad,at this design,again. As I had it on my procross cat too,and it just seems as though this whole chaincase,with roll over valve problem,may have caused the oil loss,and it got me ixcited again to try and fix it correctly.

THIS CASE IS A NIGHTMARE ALREADY - dont poke the bear - i want to get a full season out of first with these changes done - needs 5 things modified - so far - to live.... can u guess?

I had professional welder weld a threaded drain hole at the bottom of the cover, not good Magnesium, very brittle, it is cast. Ended up leaking ,little cracks, I also had a crack by the little window but on the inner piece, had it welded and it lasted awhile but the crack came back. This was on my F1100 same chain case. Just loosen bolts, drain retighten.

Ya,like I said earlier,its not the drainging of the lube,but adding,w/out needing to remove the foolish reverse actuator,to get to the hole,that bugs me,yes I do also know about the material of the cases and oil tank,thats why we did not try and weld mine from my wreck,but bought new. I am sure the case could be drilled and tapped with good luck,but what is a good place to access it when all back togeather,with shift actuator back in place.

u should never have to add oil - if u doo - its really not a big deal taking the 3 bolts out of the motor. removing the thingee. T 25 (27?) tool is in your oem kit, dont have to unplug it - just move it over - should take cover off anyway to inspect and improve... upgrade adjuster, seal the seal, drill holes in top gear like the 18 21T for lube to the reverse spline. change gearing, add manual reverse.... these changes should make her bullet proof ----- yap.... i got a spare case for next year just in case, i like reverse - wish i could have used it. without fear.

Last edited:
Mike At Rev-it-Up in Rangeley has done a bunch.
Near bottom above oil line on back top of radius.
He did this so he can use vacuum pump to remove most oil & add if needed.

I'll call a guy to see if i can get a pic.

Mike At Rev-it-Up in Rangeley has done a bunch.
Near bottom above oil line on back top of radius.
He did this so he can use vacuum pump to remove most oil & add if needed.

I'll call a guy to see if i can get a pic.
Awsome,thanks steve. Man you should of been up in the valley yesterday with us,it was an Epic day,still 4 feet of great snow up there now,and some areas still grooming. WOW..... what a winter!!!

I quit a month ago with 4000 miles on. Some other obligations & 2 broken sleds that i could have fixed, but didn't know there would still be snow.
I could easily have over 6000 miles on. MY BAD!

I will call the guy i saw who has a chain case plug installed. It's the guys who crashed so i don't know if he even has his sled with him...

I quit a month ago with 4000 miles on. Some other obligations & 2 broken sleds that i could have fixed, but didn't know there would still be snow.
I could easily have over 6000 miles on. MY BAD!

I will call the guy i saw who has a chain case plug installed. It's the guys who crashed so i don't know if he even has his sled with him...
Yes,i agree with the milage for this year steve. If I had started back in Dec. when I should had,and ran all jan. it would have been possible for at least 5 grand,and I still have only blown one belt in 3700 plus miles,i am so happy with this sled. Nothing like my 13 cat turdblow..

I would rather have a drain plug and deal with the fill procedure......

Back