• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warrior Melted Boots

The number off of the 'kit' package is:

8EP-RHECR-KT

The part number off of the exchanger itself is:

8FW-1241A-09

Exactly -

I'll keep the instructions around after I am done, if anyone wants me to scan them and email - let me know.

tmk50 said:
Riceburner -

I think you will be impressed with the kit - it adds 800cc of coolant to the system - and the surface area of the exchanger is larger than any Yamaha rear heat exchanger I can recall.

Check the heat exchanger on an Exciter, definitely bigger. Problem with that exchanger is that a) its got a 90 degree angle in it (up the flap then along the tunel), and b) it connects to the hoses in a space under the seat.

TMK50.

Thanks for the info and the pic.

Sure looks like it will do the job.

Not that I am adverse to a little weight, but what does the kit weigh?

Cost was?

cost was around $85

I'm guessing the weight was around 5lbs or so - plus the additional coolant

I'll post pictures of the installed cooler on a new thread in the Mountain Section.

LazyBastard said:
Two observations I can offer you;

1) If the exchangers are hot, it means coolant is circulating properly - the entire goal of the cooling system is to make the exchangers get hot, allowing the heat to bleed off into the air/ice.

2) My sled is stretched out to 144". It has the same amount of rubber on ground as warrior, but back further. The seat is up higher, and the heat exchangers are further off the ground. I haven't noticed ANY heat related problems. The heat exchangers are slightly warmer than they were before, but not nearly enough to melt my boots. I have not once seen the heat light, except when I was using the headlight as a flashlight to dig out a stuck truck LAST year while still 121".

Dealers and Yamaha both say this is condition dependant - which to some extent it is. Lazy Bastard and others who have said they have NO overheating are in deep snow areas. Those of us with the problem are running on 3-5" of loose snow on a groomed trail (at most) and the rest of the time we are running down trails and logging roads that are hard packed and generally don't have sufficient snow to bathe the running boards where the exchangers are.
Yamaha has not really ever understood the east market since all of our riding became "organized" and is 99% on groomed trails versus everywhere else where riding is usually in areas with more loose snow on the riding surface - hence much better cooling.
Riceburner, there is a problem and almost every Warrior owner I have talked to has had the problem to some extent - and that has been directly related to the amount of loose snow they ride over. I think you will see the posts climb to the moon if we have enough snow here in the East for an extended Spring riding season.

VT_BluYamaha54 said:
LazyBastard said:
Two observations I can offer you;

1) If the exchangers are hot, it means coolant is circulating properly - the entire goal of the cooling system is to make the exchangers get hot, allowing the heat to bleed off into the air/ice.

2) My sled is stretched out to 144". It has the same amount of rubber on ground as warrior, but back further. The seat is up higher, and the heat exchangers are further off the ground. I haven't noticed ANY heat related problems. The heat exchangers are slightly warmer than they were before, but not nearly enough to melt my boots. I have not once seen the heat light, except when I was using the headlight as a flashlight to dig out a stuck truck LAST year while still 121".

Dealers and Yamaha both say this is condition dependant - which to some extent it is. Lazy Bastard and others who have said they have NOoverheating are in deep snow areas. Those of us with the problem are running on 3-5" of loose snow on a groomed trail (at most) and the rest of the time we are running down trails and logging roads that are hard packed and generally don't have sufficient snow to bathe the running boards where the exchangers are.
Yamaha has not really ever understood the east market since all of our riding became "organized" and is 99% on groomed trails versus everywhere else where riding is usually in areas with more loose snow on the riding surface - hence much better cooling.
Riceburner, there is a problem and almost every Warrior owner I have talked to has had the problem to some extent - and that has been directly related to the amount of loose snow they ride over. I think you will see the posts climb to the moon if we have enough snow her in the East for an extended Spring riding season.

Actually, I do a lot of riding on hardpack and bare ice. There's not much snow this year, and it is very easy to find buried rocks.

overheating warrior

About a week ago, my temp light would come on periodically while riding on bush trails at about 30 mph. No problem on the pipeline at higher speeds. The trails were icy and very little loose snow.

Installed the extra cooler at the back of the tunnel and this cure the problem. Only downside is that I had to remove my rack since the rear bracket mounts to the tunnel where the cooler is located. I have to fab a new mount for my rack.

Montinj -
Curious about where you are located? It seems most of the Warriors that have gotten exchangers are our neighbors to the north. Also seems like availability in Canada is far better than here. My dealer told me 2 weeks ago to forget seeing one this year!
Do you have studs? Are there any clearance probs? I was told that the MTN exchanger will be damaged on a Warrior w/studs.

The frustrating thing is no one at Yamaha has come out and said (as far as I know) that this is the part number to order and if you do, it will fit and Yamaha will bless it.

->VT_Blu

VT_Blue,

FYI.

Received this reply from Barry [BJRB] who did install it on a Warrior.
You will notice he did cut off the last 5 " of the protectors.
I do a lot of high speed tail landings and am concerned my studded track will hit the exchanger and take it out on one of these landings.
As you know Yamaha feels there will be an issue here.
LB seems to think you would need to drop the skid a little to avoid it.
He appears to know a lot about the 4 strokes skids so I tend to think that the boys at Y are correct
Not sure if Barry is studded or not.
BJRB if you are reading this, are you studded and have you done any hard tail landings yet?
Yes you can get them quick in Canada. 3 Days for me.
I have managed to get some air out using Dans method.
Stiil no sign of the dreaded light and me booties are taking the shape of the angle nicely between footrest and running board. :)

Dave

Hi Dave
Put in the heat exchanger to-day...it's just about a "bolt in."
You have to cut off the rear extensions of the tunnel protectors
about 5". Then enlarge the holes on the tunnel sides to allow
the water pipes to slide through. It's fully explained in the
instructions that come with the mountain cooler.
I also installed a water temp gauge. We tested the cooler out on
a lake with very minimal snow. It worked like a dream, there was so little snow & thought my sliders would fry,
Tried at all speeds from 30 mph to wide open. At a constant 50mph
the gauge read 130 deg f. When we stopped of course the temp would rise but not alamingly to abt 180 deg f. I'm sure that if the new cooler had not been installed the red overheat light would have been "glaring"
at me constantly.
It certainly went in a lot easier than I thought it would. I would recommend it to anyone with w warrior with overheating problem

All the best
Barry

Back