• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Water in Chain case

mtotguy

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Rush 800, 2014 Viper RTX, 1983 Excel 3
I was checking my chain case lube and I noticed it looked a little milky. Obviously there is some water in the oil but I'm not sure how it got in there. The drive shaft seal would be the logical place but I would think I'd see a leak there. I don't see any oil on the garage floor. ???

If you cant find the leak on the seals, chain case gasket, ext I might have something that could help you find it. It could be coming in from the dipstick.

Get a Cork (or something that can seal where dipstick is) drill a hole in it, get a airgun and blow in to the case where the hole is. Use a low presser so you do not blow the seals out.

have u had he chain case apart lately? Last year i had a track put on at the dealer and about half way up the front of the chain case they didn't have the seal on the lip. After the first ride i checked the oil and it was just like u described, i took it apart and it had ice in it and i noticed the seal was off.

Has it ever been changed?I see that often enough.If it ever is taken through water it will get in there.Just change it yearly or more often if running through water.Some may even just be from condensation caused by temp changes.Important thing is that there is oil in there.

Mtotguy it would be nice if you had your location and a sig with description of your machine so we can help you out better.Thanks!

It's never been changed. It only has 1750 miles on it but this year there has been a lot of standing water on the trails. I'll change it and see if the water comes back.

I added a signature. Thanks.

cannondale27 said:
Some may even just be from condensation caused by temp changes.

This has been my experience as well, not from water infiltration, just accumulated condensation. After two seasons it's quite milky, change it every year now, regardless of mileage.

Back