• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What 14 x 121 track are you guys using? Stud problem?

ViperMan

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper RTX
My 2007 FX Phazer has 4885 miles on stock track. I studded it after the first couple rides. Had to initially re-tighten most all of the studs as they loosened with time. I've since lost studs with them ripping completely out and leaving nothing but a square hole in the track where the backer was. I've got a total of 19 missing studs (ironically most are on right side of track, not sure why) with the 20th one ripped on 3 sides. (photos below) Have you studded guys had this same problem? I had a SRX and Viper both studded on stock track and never had stud loss like this. I'm going to change the track for fear of tossing a stud through the exchanger. I had that happen on my Viper and it left me stranded and a hefty repair bill all said and done.

Studs are Stud Boy Power Point 1.080" with Power Plate backers. I am using the 96 stud pattern.

Are the stock tracks prone to this happening with studs? Is the Camoplast Hacksaw the only option for our sleds? Did I let them get too loose or wait to long to re-tighten and this is the reason for failure? I'm seriously considering not studding after this experience. I'd like to try the Ice Ripper XT but don't see it in 14" sizing on Camoplast's website. Other than this issue the track is in pretty good shape with only a few random lugs broke or torn. Any suggestions from you guys as to the set up your using would really be appreciated!

:yam:

Attachments

• missing studs.jpg
    missing studs.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 93
  • torn stud.jpg
    torn stud.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 96studpattern.jpg
    96studpattern.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 168

Did it just start happening now? It looks to me like they may stick up a little too far above the lug, but I can't beleive they are ripping out like that. You spin alot? land alot with your throttle wide open? ha im scared now..I just did mine

Tayz588 said:
Did it just start happening now? It looks to me like they may stick up a little too far above the lug, but I can't beleive they are ripping out like that. You spin alot? land alot with your throttle wide open? ha im scared now..I just did mine

No, I've lost some each season, I'm now starting 4th season with 6 rides thus far (1100 miles) and it seems several of them lost are from this year. I don't spin anymore than anyone does, nor do I abuse the track, always crossing roads, steel bridges, very cautiously. My guess is with time the track is weakening from the backer stress and causing the eventual stud and backer loss. The 1.080" length is exactly what Stud Boy recommends for the Phazer track. I would just suggest keeping a close eye on them and check after each ride, at least initially until they set in.

:4STroke:

yeah i used red loctite on each one with the self locking nutts they come with, my dad has never had any back out like that so i'm tryin that on my sled. I love riding with picks, much safer IMO

Yuo might not be aware but 110 in lb should be the recomended torque on the nut. If done, it should not happen.

I did not locktight my studs, I used anti-seies becaues I tones of that crap laying around. Self locking nylon nut and or dent nuts, then you also have force pushing up agenst the nut, then track presser force to. In my exp not really needed. It just like putting a book on a celling, stickig a wooding poll agints it to keep it from falling, then a bent peacie of sheet metal that is dommed to spring load it.

I did the same thing with the same studs to my stock track and never lost one stud the whole first season. I then took the track off and replaced it with the Freeride track and put 96 Power points in that one too. I have two full seasons a one ride this year so far on that track and have yet to lose a stud. And I'm not easy at all on it. Full throttle landings and all. So I don't know if you maybe tightened them too much and pinched the track? Not sure, maybe that could be it. It's pretty common to have one or two come out after a year or two, but never heard of that many coming out.

just let themall rip out and you have a ported track !!! just kidding, but if you have access to a table saw pretty much any track you can think of could be used with a little manual labour. just zip off a strip of 1/2 " from both sides and your ready for action !!!

i run a freeride track, much better than stock, fine for the trails, i dont ride the lakes, so no need for studs, except for my man..

Back