• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What are sure signs your track needs to be replaced

Thanks Irv! I had no idea that this type of damage could be repaired. I did an internet search and found a company in Wisconsin that uses the same Carrolltech process and that is a lot closer to home.

Here is their website which looks about the same as the Canadian one. www.trackrepair.com

I am going to give them a call tomorrow. I wonder if the repair will allow the stud to be reinstalled? I also have some lug damage that I will ask them about.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I bookmarked that one. I've been looking for an used track. If the cost is reasonable. There is some cheap tracks out there once the lugs get torn.

If I was going to the trouble to remove a track for repair, I would just put on a new track.....now if the repair can be done on the sled, now that is a different story, but I don't think that they can.

Funny Dave, you worry about a couple of extra mm of wear on one brake pad, but this does not seem to bother you as much???

sleddog66 said:
If I was going to the trouble to remove a track for repair, I would just put on a new track.....now if the repair can be done on the sled, now that is a different story, but I don't think that they can.

Funny Dave, you worry about a couple of extra mm of wear on one brake pad, but this does not seem to bother you as much???

I am worried about the track but just curious about the brake pads. According to the Canadian track repair website they can do the repair with the track on the sled. I will find out about the Wisconsin company.

The gas to trailer my sled to the Wisconsin company and back is probably about a wash compared to the cost of shipping the track there and back. The time to trailer my sled there and back is also probably about a wash compared to the time to remove and re-install the track.

If my track was not studded the decision to replace it would be easier. My studs are still in good condition so I would have to decide if I buy all new studs for the new track or remove the used ones and use them on the new track. Both involve additional time or money compared to the repair option.

Thanks everyone

Many thanks to everyone who chimed in with your replies. I have pull the plug and sprung for a new track, decided season is very short and I didn't want to miss any of it repairing damage the track may or may not do if it came apart . Thanks for all the imput. :4STroke:

track repair

Central WI track repair can fix tear outs and blisters in tracks on the sled. Had one done in the past on a viper.

Track

Yes they have all the molds for each track. Couldn't tell was great job and only 75$. Only complaint I had was had to leave sled overnight due to two spots too far apart track had to be rotated.

Re: Track

tangerine427 said:
Yes they have all the molds for each track. Couldn't tell was great job and only 75$. Only complaint I had was had to leave sled overnight due to two spots too far apart track had to be rotated.

now we are talking...... ;)!

Central Wisconsin Track Repair can repair a stud tear out with the track on the sled. The repair takes a few hours and will cost about $75.00. I was told that I could actually put a stud back in the repaired area but that then they could not warranty the repair.

I am also thinking about replacing the track with an ice ripper but I am concerned that it will not be enough traction for me after being used to studs. Therefore I am leaning towards repairing my track to get another year out of it.

Here's my opinion!
Tare out in outer belt- definitely new track!
Tare out in center belt mabe could take a chance and keep an eye on it other wise new track because I don't want to replace a cooler, makes a track seem cheap!
I have heard of a couple repair's that failed, with the cost of the potential damage?

Back