• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What could Yamaha offer to make you buy a new sled?

The Apex line, I would say fits the bill pretty well, maybe work on simplifying the steering system and improve some wear items (hi-fax, bushings, etc.)

Nytro, well I think it's time to get out a clean sheet of paper, unlike the Apex, it just doesn't work as well as the others. I started to think about the Nytro chassis in a racing form. How much money do you think the Factory snow cross team spent on that thing. They still couldn't compete regularly, how are consumers going to. Now for C.C. racing it may be a bit better but you can't tell me that it's competitive dollar for dollar. I think a clean slate, which addresses the issues of both the weight and effects of the 4 stroke engine s (roll-over oil) exhaust, etc. The bottom line is two other OEM's offer four stroke tech. that has much better handling characteristics not to mention the new offerings that haven't even hit snow yet.

Don't know what I want other than less weight & 140ish HP would be ok 130ish not enough for me in midrange punch. I like my 2007 Attak GT & no problems so trouble free miles keep adding up. From marketing view point Yam missing Ace market for newbies & rental fleet. I staying with Attak until Yam releases something I have to have at $10K. 15K MSRP not happening for me.

LJ 452 said:
The Apex line, I would say fits the bill pretty well, maybe work on simplifying the steering system and improve some wear items (hi-fax, bushings, etc.)

Nytro, well I think it's time to get out a clean sheet of paper, unlike the Apex, it just doesn't work as well as the others. I started to think about the Nytro chassis in a racing form. How much money do you think the Factory snow cross team spent on that thing. They still couldn't compete regularly, how are consumers going to. Now for C.C. racing it may be a bit better but you can't tell me that it's competitive dollar for dollar. I think a clean slate, which addresses the issues of both the weight and effects of the 4 stroke engine s (roll-over oil) exhaust, etc. The bottom line is two other OEM's offer four stroke tech. that has much better handling characteristics not to mention the new offerings that haven't even hit snow yet.

I agree with you. Yamaha spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to make the Nytro competitive in sno-x and that was a waste of time, money and effort. Their one and only win came in the open class. That is the only class the Nytro can be competitive, even in XC racing. It is a nice sled for trail riding which is in dire need of some upgrades.

I like blueironranger's Exciter idea. The Phazer had so much potential but the 14" wide track was a mistake and the handling and front end is just as bad as the Nytro. Maybe it is time for a Phazer II?

AKrider said:
LJ 452 said:

I agree with you. Yamaha spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to make the Nytro competitive in sno-x and that was a waste of time, money and effort. Their one and only win came in the open class. That is the only class the Nytro can be competitive, even in XC racing. It is a nice sled for trail riding which is in dire need of some upgrades.

I like blueironranger's Exciter idea. The Phazer had so much potential but the 14" wide track was a mistake and the handling and front end is just as bad as the Nytro. Maybe it is time for a Phazer II?
The Phazer is MUCH more better handling sled than the Nytro. It has a high center of gravity which needs to be lowered but it can kick the pants off a Nytro in the handling department. If the Phazer used lighter components, had a Nytro engine with a 2" lower COG it would be a good sled.

In spirit of yamaha not needing boost to make excellent hp, how about putting the 180hp rated R1 engine, or derivative in a new apex chassis, and/or nytro? The nytro is a sled purpose motor, which is excellent, but having class leading N/A power would be excellent for advertising and for the consumer.

Weight of the apex? I personally would gladly take a little extra weight (which is there in part to structural strength), then a flimsy and poorly built sled. I ride power lines in fresh powder quite a bit, and can tell you that if I ever bury it, I wont be carrying the sled over my head to get it unstuck, just clear the front and pull on the ski, comes out everytime!

And in discussion to the rear exit exhaust, to have a tunnel dump or front dump is fine for trails, but if you get in super deep powder, your hp is cut like an on/off switch. The inability for power to get cut is nice. However, although the duals out back on apex/vector/venture is nice, it could be lightented up with a nice single exhaust similar to a nytro, plus likely be more reliable.

I would like to see a lighter sled, but most important is to move the mass further back. Undertunnel exhaust and a bigger tank wich extends under the seat, battery in the back.
I would like to see a lightweight high revving engine with high hp numbers. No traktor engine like other mfgs.
New improved frontend and a 144" track with atleast 2" lugs. This would make me trade my -12 XTX for a NEW Yamaha.

This.

Attachments

• 800px-Yamaha_OX99_engine_rear.jpg
    800px-Yamaha_OX99_engine_rear.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 133
Haha yes^^^^ but a 136 would be nice. Do something different and offer 136 and up for the nytro. It's not like a 136 hurts on the trails

Luv threads like this! Great reading. Has there ever been a sled that is as flawed as the Nytro and yet has such a devoted following?
For my money quality and fit&finish is second to none. Weight needs to be addressed. Handling in stock form is a decade behind the other oem"s.
The thing that does keep me riding a Yamaha is that although my sled has 6500 miles on it , it still looks new for the most part.
Have been thinking of selling my sled this year and jumping to a '12xtx. I question the belief that Yamahas hold their value better than the other manufacturers. I think people look at the mileage on my sled and think 2 stroke. Looks like another winter on the '08. :jump:

Attachments

• 20130228_175403.jpg
    20130228_175403.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20130228_175349.jpg
    20130228_175349.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20130228_175343.jpg
    20130228_175343.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 20130208_203557.jpg
    20130208_203557.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 84
4x4 said:
Yamaha F1 engine from the 1990s.When you can build motors for F1 and motoGP(in house)theres no question who has the best powerplants :yam: in snowmobiles.

These threads I want or I heard never go anywhere. Yam does whatever they want & at a high price as well. Who asked for EPS ?.....I don't remember anybody wanting that. Also who asked to run premium gas in Apex? Who asked for $15K MSRP sled? I don't remember that either but you got all of the above.lol Everybody wants less weight & we keep getting more weight. I'm convinced Yamaha does not pay any attention to TY threads engineering has their own agenda nothing to do with us. Sad but true. To me 2013 BNG & or something to compete with Ace. APEX, Vector, Nytro more of the same. Phaser /ACE model maybe?

yam is good but way too heavy , i have had 7 yams and will not buy another till the weight and price come down , and for the rear exhaust not to be already fixed in 9 years of production better lose the patent and get some thing that works and does not cause hundreds of dollars in repair every couple of years

Back