• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What helmet style do you ride with?

Helmet Style

• Full Face or Modular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Open/ MX Style

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

I have a HJC full face with electric shield. I also wear glass and they always fog on me. I am wondering from you guys that have the Skidoo modular helmets if you have a problem with your glass fogging up?

polarisconvert said:
I have a HJC full face with electric shield. I also wear glass and they always fog on me. I am wondering from you guys that have the Skidoo modular helmets if you have a problem with your glass fogging up?

My Modular 2 helmet doesn't fog up on me if I wear a belaclava and make sure it is over my mouth. I find that without the belaclava it will fog up a bit on the far right and far left of my visor only after a few hours of riding. The key to this helmet is the mouth piece and breathing though your nose not mouth. I am mostly satisfied with my Modular 2 although I find it a PITA to snap the mouth piece back on. My buddy who ahs the same helmet puts vasaline on one of the snaps and only unsnaps that side of the mouthpiece. Would I buy another? :dunno: . It wouldn't be the first helmet I would look into buying again. I have heard good reviews about the 509 helmet and googles I would probably look at that if I was looking for a new helmet.

That's funny because I'm just the opposite with my Mod 2. I always used to pull my balaclava over my mouth, but if I do that with the Modular 2 I have fogging issues, so now I just pull it up over my chin. I gues everyones a little different. The snap on the right side of my mask broke very soon after getting the helmet. I just stuck a piece of velcro on it and on the helmet which works pretty well. I have a communicator so always only undo the right side. Overall I like the helmet alot, but it can be finicky and on really cold days I sometimes get a draft right under my left eye. Also, if I'm riding in heavy snowdust and the sun visor is up, it tends to get a lot of snow on it so that I can't see through it when I put it down. Overall it's probably the best helmet I've ever had, but the AVG/Yamaha modular that I used to use (made by the same company - Laser) was almost as good but didn't have the sun shield. I would never have a helmet without the sun shield again.

I was looking at some helmets earlier this week so I am really glad to see this thread! Anybody have a line on the best place to buy the 509 Helmet/Goggles? Is the Evolution the best choice to avoid spending $300+?
Lots of places to buy on the internet but I'd prefer to send my business somewhere that guys have had a good experience at in the past.

I went from a Modular 2 and wanted to go big so last season I got the BV2S. Used it one weekend. It fogged up, froze up and then the liner fell out of it. Bought it back to the dealer to get a replacement. They bought in a new one and the liner fell out if it before I left the store. Got my money back and went across the street and spent even more money on an Arai MX style helmet and some nice Oakley Goggles. With the right head gear I am just as warm in this setup as I was in any full face helmet.

Both here as well... Actually I have three helmets. AFX MotoCross,HJC full faced for the GoPro days and a BV2S for the colder days.

coyotekid said:
That's funny because I'm just the opposite with my Mod 2. I always used to pull my balaclava over my mouth, but if I do that with the Modular 2 I have fogging issues, so now I just pull it up over my chin. I gues everyones a little different. The snap on the right side of my mask broke very soon after getting the helmet. I just stuck a piece of velcro on it and on the helmet which works pretty well. I have a communicator so always only undo the right side. Overall I like the helmet alot, but it can be finicky and on really cold days I sometimes get a draft right under my left eye. Also, if I'm riding in heavy snowdust and the sun visor is up, it tends to get a lot of snow on it so that I can't see through it when I put it down. Overall it's probably the best helmet I've ever had, but the AVG/Yamaha modular that I used to use (made by the same company - Laser) was almost as good but didn't have the sun shield. I would never have a helmet without the sun shield again.

I run the Modular 2 with my mouth covered. The shield never fogs on me, ever.. but the sun shade will fog at speeds of 15-20 mph. Anything over that and it's fine. Breathing through my nose or mouth doesn't seem to have any impact.

I also had problems with the snaps, actually ripped one out of the mask once. Read a tip to put chapstick on the snaps and that totally fixed the problem. The snaps come on and off like butter, they never stick. If anyone is having trouble with the snaps I would suggest trying it. It sounds silly but it works great!

I couldn't agree more about the sun shade. To me, it was worth the price of the helmet by itself. I don't have to worry about losing or breaking sun glasses, it's there when I need it and out of the way when I don't. Some days I wish I had an amber lens for it, but for the most part the smoke color is fine and it's just the right amount of tint. Not too dark, not too light.

marq said:
coyotekid said:

Chap stick I will try! Never thought of that! I agree on the sunshade works awesome. I never found that the Modular 2 ever did fit me right especially the mouth piece, every person is different with this though.

I run the Modular 2 with my mouth covered. The shield never fogs on me, ever.. but the sun shade will fog at speeds of 15-20 mph. Anything over that and it's fine. Breathing through my nose or mouth doesn't seem to have any impact.

I also had problems with the snaps, actually ripped one out of the mask once. Read a tip to put chapstick on the snaps and that totally fixed the problem. The snaps come on and off like butter, they never stick. If anyone is having trouble with the snaps I would suggest trying it. It sounds silly but it works great!

I couldn't agree more about the sun shade. To me, it was worth the price of the helmet by itself. I don't have to worry about losing or breaking sun glasses, it's there when I need it and out of the way when I don't. Some days I wish I had an amber lense for it, but for the most part the smoke color is fine and it's just the right about of tint. Not too dark, not too light.

(I dunno whats with this damn computer screwing up posts today! #$%&* Maybe I should be doing work at work :tg: )

Chap stick I will try! Never thought of that! I agree on the sunshade works awesome. I never found that the Modular 2 ever did fit me right especially the mouth piece, every person is different with this though.

newfie09xtx said:
(I dunno whats with this damn computer screwing up posts today! #$%&* Maybe I should be doing work at work :tg: )

I just used some cheap chapstick, nothing fancy. Turned it out a little bit and twisted it in both parts of the snap, then wiped up the excess. Left what was in the snaps in there.

I probably crank down the mouth piece a little more than most people. I have sleep apnea and my CPAP uses a mouth piece that is similar design and shape to the Modular 2 mouth piece, so I'm used to having that feeling on my face.

MX style with neoprene face mask, I find it to fog up a lot less than my full face. I've only had 2 times that my goggles fogged up and I just have cheap fox goggles.

Back