• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What is the best method for removing tunnel protectors?

YamYboY

Extreme
hey guys I am in the middle of a sled build, whats the best way to get the tunnel protectors out of a 08 rtx, I have the back 4 sets of rivets out but whats the best way to get the ones out from under the tank

Thanks in advance

Re: Tunnel Protectors

YamYboY said:
whats the best way to get the ones out from under the tank

I removed mine when I had the exhaust and the exhaust heat shields out because of other reasons. This allowed full access to the rivets holding the front of the tunnel protectors. I know that others have drilled them out from the bottom (through the bottom of the tunnel protectors) and some have just cut them off with a chisel and hammer...

Attachments

• after_2.JPG
    after_2.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 139
  • after_1.JPG
    after_1.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 125
Did anyone notice that the Yamaha race sleds are using collant filled tunnel protectors? I bet that would be the hot set up for getting rid of the ice build-up in the tunnel, plus would help with the running temp also.

berge75 said:
Did anyone notice that the Yamaha race sleds are using collant filled tunnel protectors? I bet that would be the hot set up for getting rid of the ice build-up in the tunnel, plus would help with the running temp also.

Me and a couple of riding buddy are running collant through our tunnel protectors this year. One of them started on his all ready, will be doing mine here soon. We think it will work great and its simple to do, the snow and ice won't be able to build up on them that way. :Rockon: Once we get to try them out on the snow we'll put a post up on here to let everyone know how good it works. There is three of us doing it to our Nytro's.

Alatalo said:
Alatalo said:
How did you solve the connectors...?
BooBoo said:
Weld some on

Yes, I figured that out, but I am curious about what you did to connect the tunnel protectors to the rest of the cooling system. In which way did you route the hoses...? Did you use the holes for the MTX tunnel radiator...? Any pictures...?

Yup, use the mtx holes and hoses. Don't have pic. didn't start mine yet, But my buddy did his already turned out nice. Im going to drill a new hole on the ather side to run a hose in one side and one hose out the ather, we looked at it the ather day and it looks like theres enough room to run them that way.

And we are using 1" square tubing to match the rest of the cooling system hoses and such. The stock protectors are only 3/4". This will work really good let's see if ice sticks to hot protectors and bridges over anymore. Should be close to a normal sled with only a little ice on the sides.

Attachments

• 100_1374.jpg
    100_1374.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_1375.jpg
    100_1375.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 80
cwcsrx700 said:
And we are using 1" square tubing to match the rest of the cooling system hoses and such. The stock protectors are only 3/4". This will work really good let's see if ice sticks to hot protectors and bridges over anymore. Should be close to a normal sled with only a little ice on the sides.

;)! Yup no more #$%&* ice :Rockon:

Back