• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

what needs to be done to carbs for supercharging

We are talking about a traillable version,not a full drag system,how come it's that complicated,wen you look at the kits for sale,they say 4 hours to install,it can't be that complicated to make a supercharger that will only boost around 5 to 6 psi,i agree that wen you want to get big HP,it will get very complicated but a small one??,the kits don't heaven alter timing

yves F 7 said:
We are talking about a traillable version,not a full drag system,how come it's that complicated,wen you look at the kits for sale,they say 4 hours to install,it can't be that complicated to make a supercharger that will only boost around 5 to 6 psi,i agree that wen you want to get big HP,it will get very complicated but a small one??,the kits don't heaven alter timing

These statements show exactly why you should not attempt to build your own kit. Even at 5 to 6 pounds of boost everything has to be just right. It is not simple. We are not trying to be unhelpful. We are just trying to give you a dose of reality.

You have heard from some of the better turbo tuners here and the message is consistent....... You are stepping into a HUGE project.

can you give us examples of the problems we will have to face,timing is covered,he bought a MSD kit that retards the timing on boost,he has an electric fuel pump for added fuel and a adjustable fuel regulator,he will have a valve to limit the boost,i think it leaves only the carburetors.
No one answered my question about the intercooler.
I realize that in your one way your trying to help,but he is pig headed and will do it anyway,i'm trying to help him succeeding so i wont be alone riding this winter.

Read my last post. The sizing of components, the air signals (where they are taken from and their volume, different for each style of airbox/intercooler). Intercooler/airbox design and construction is critical. If you plan on riding this year you will most likely be spending the season "tuning". Don't forget the towrope!

I have built EFI systems from scratch, it is not bad, but does depend on your experience level. Carbs are antiques, they'll work adequately under boost. As mentioned above, you'll need a rising rate FPR with a pump that can supply the required pressure. To be safe, richen up the jetting, and go down from there. A rich engine will live, it might need an oil change and plugs... but consider the alternative. An EGT temp sensor for each primary header tube will assist in getting proper mixtures.

IMHO, go all motor, install EFI with your choice of forced induction, or wait a season or two for the factory boosted sleds.

Back