• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

what next for an 03 shorty

kinsound

Extreme
Ok I have a feeling it will snow anyday here and I want to be prepared!
So after reading all the threads about the 03' I have decided to make to changes before I even ride the thing.I guess it is beacause there is no snow and I want to stare at this sled as much as possible.

Parts I need to install or that i have purchased

'04 swaybar links
C&A Ski's with 6" carbides
Ohlins on the back and center
1.075' 144 studs down the center
I know I should buy the ripsaw but will take my chances with the 1' nipple track for now
Anything else recommended?
Thanks for all your expertise and experience

kinsound said:
Parts I need to install or that i have purchased

Ohlins on the back and center

Anything else recommended?

Thanks for all your expertise and experience

If you haven't bought the Ohlins, consider the Cat skid option. I already bought the rear and it needs to be re-valved and re-sprung. I DO NOT want to use the Pro-Action (W-Arm breakage) For the price of one Ohlins you could put a whole skid in. If you've already bought the Ohlins then...oh well. Myself, I'm looking into an EDGE install.

I HIGHLY recommend the Ripsaw - first time in years I didn't need to stud, maybe later? Check on adding a 12mm or even a 13mm bar, and straight rate springs - Heck! why not just throw down $900 for a set of FOX FLOAT shocks and lighten it up a little too. You may want to see if a local upholstery shop can stuff your seat with more foam also.

I don't have an '03, but I DO have a rough riding '04.

Depending on the links you bought,I hope the 2004 links becasue they use a larger diameter stabilizer bar, you would also need a new bar. The 03 long links use the 03 thin bar which breaks easily. Also get the 04 secondary spring.

I think straight rate front springs made a big difference in the front end especially when combined with swaybar and longer links.

Stabilizer bar and swaybar are the same thing.
You want to get the 04 links, not the 03-update links. You WILL need to replace the bar AND BUSHINGS as well. You can get an 11mm bar from Yamaha. Make sure its 04 stuff, otherwise if you go with a thicker swaybar, you could snap the ends off.

I believe snapping the bar ends off was more a function of the thinner o3 bar. I run the 13mm o4 style bar and have 1800 miles with no breakage. The o3 13mm bar lasted about 800 miles.

Studs are to short. Have you installed them yet?? I'd run at least a 1.25. I ran a 1.340 in my 1 inch.

How much more do you want to spend?

jtssrx said:
Studs are to short. Have you installed them yet?? I'd run at least a 1.25. I ran a 1.340 in my 1 inch.

How much more do you want to spend?

I was told that due to the softness of the track that anything longer than 1.075'' will cause pull thru--

I really dont want to spend too much more.. I am getting to the "it would be cheaper to buy the 05 and be done with it" but I got the 03 from a friend with 508 miles on it for 5000.00. So investing 1000.00 more is ok but more than that I will need to sleep in the trailer if the wife finds the receipts :) :-o :itchy:

Buckeye said:
I believe snapping the bar ends off was more a function of the thinner o3 bar. I run the 13mm o4 style bar and have 1800 miles with no breakage. The o3 13mm bar lasted about 800 miles.

03 sleds had the 10mm sway bar.. 04s and 05s have 11mm swaybars.. You do not have to replace the bushings as long as they are not worn out!

I installed the 13mm swaybar from pioneer performance into my 04.. it was really easy.. but if you have a 03 you need the longer 04 links!

Back