• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats' the best type of lock for trailers?

Side note about trailer crime: If any of you live in an area where there is a very good possibility of your whole trailer getting stolen, be THOROUGH. I see people lock the tongue latches, but they don't use a locking pin for the draw bar at the truck end! Pull one pin, and they have a trailer. Use a locking pin, and go a step further- put a couple tack welds on to the replacable tongue of the trailer, securing it to the trailer. The tongues are usually replacable with 2 bolts holding them on...very easy for someone to go to WalMart, spend $15 on a new tongue, and carry it with them. 2 bolts and they have a new trailer and a couple/few sleds.

Next- I see locks on the backs of the clamshell trailers all the time, but some have easily removable pins at the FRONTS which nobody bothers with. Secure the pins somehow so someone can't remove them and pick up the front of the cover.

Jim

In addition to using the yellow/ black sealed Master locks on the trailer hitch, I also spray the heck out of everything with WD40 every once in a while, and that seems to help a lot.

Two best mech's tools: WD40 and duct tape...

I have three keyed alike yellow/black master locks and have all bent keys if that tells you anything. Funny thing was when I purchased the keyed alike locks, all the other same type locks had the SAME key code. :?

Mikey said:
Myself id have to go with the crescent wrench. :)
I was always told that the crescent wrench was also called an adjustable metric balpeen hammer wrench! :) Honk

Dano, my blue Master locks are all keyed alike too. I have bent keys too. Maybe the Yellow/black are just a different colored cover. I noticed yesterday when I looked at them that they looked almost identical to my blue locks. Thnaks for the info. PB

Folks,

I bought Master commercial weatherproof locks at a locksmith. They are very heavy and covered in blacy (vinyl?). The shackles actually have O-rings around them so no water gets into the lock mechanism. The key area has a cover also that is very tight. While they were not cheap, they are the best locks I have seen as far as weatherability. They weigh at least twice what a normal Master lock weighs. The locksmith told me that the only thing the yellow (cheaper) locks do is that the vinyl keeps the water in the lock.

I bought four locks for about $25 apiece (ouch) but they are guaranteed and seemed to be worth it so far. They come either keyed alike or differently.

So far I have not had the slightest problem with the locks.

Dan

WarriorDan said:
Folks,

I bought Master commercial weatherproof locks at a locksmith. They are very heavy and covered in blacy (vinyl?). The shackles actually have O-rings around them so no water gets into the lock mechanism. The key area has a cover also that is very tight. While they were not cheap, they are the best locks I have seen as far as weatherability. They weigh at least twice what a normal Master lock weighs. The locksmith told me that the only thing the yellow (cheaper) locks do is that the vinyl keeps the water in the lock.

I bought four locks for about $25 apiece (ouch) but they are guaranteed and seemed to be worth it so far. They come either keyed alike or differently.

So far I have not had the slightest problem with the locks.

Dan

Do you have any pics or part numbers?

Are these them? http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/class ... 13&Go.y=10

As far as locks go, our group (3 four place enclosed) have tried every variety of lock's we could find. Even the $25 + "weather proof" ones. They all froze up at some point during the long season. We all ended up going back to the basic lock and just keep a small propane torch with us to clear them up if they freeze up. A lot cheaper than spending all that money on the expensive ones. Besides sometimes it's tuff to find the weather proof ones that will fit those small openings that you find on most trailers.

I feel a lot better now to know I'm certainly not the only one having a heck of time getting into my trailer.
Yes, I have the torch now. The plastic covered lock seem to merely hold moisture (which could come from simple condensation of heating and cooling as the sun hits them and then they freeze at night) which in turn freezes and then you have bent keys or worse. You should see my blue "weather proof" locks after I took Spray's torch to them. The bottom half of the locks are chared and they sure as heck aren't going back on anything I plan to use in the winter. Here's what I have learned so far:

1. If your sleds aren't in the trailer at home don't lock it if possible. Leave your locks off until you are somewhere you need to have the trailer locked and you'll bypass all the road grime that fills and freezes the locks.

2. WD-40 or Triflow the heck out of the lock mechanisms.

3. Carry a small torch with you to thaw the locks when needed.

4. "Weatherproof" locks don't mean "freezeproof".

Thanks guys. PB

i soak my locks in prestone antifreeze overnight once or twice a season,it has never let me down.-20 degrees this weekend in the jackman area. they opened right up

Propane torch

I keep a propane torch in the cab of the truck. A few seconds of heat and all the ice melts and water dries up. Works great.

I used to use WD-40 on them once every couple weeks...worked good most of the time. Two years ago stared using Triflow....have only froze-up once, and that was at -38F. Seems to work good for me.....

Back