• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

whats the essentials to an rx1

Thanks Johnny. Hopefully we arent being too optimistic, but from a few things I have read, the M7 skid is really light, and the exhaust is heavy. Do you have a 162 also? If so, which one?

Southfork Sooner said:
Thanks Johnny. Hopefully we arent being too optimistic, but from a few things I have read, the M7 skid is really light, and the exhaust is heavy. Do you have a 162 also? If so, which one?

I went with the new maverick track and really like it. It is a great all around track and helps keep the beast on top of the snow.
I just went and looked over some notes from a few years back. The 04 exhaust I had weighed in at 20#'s 5oz. the gutted one was 11#'s 10oz So I had a little over 8 #'s of weight savings. Not bad for FREE.

Did the sound get louder from the gutting of it? I dont want to spend a lot of money on that aspect of the sled, so that would be the best thing to do. Is it difficult? I wanted to get the Maverick, by I got the Attack 20 for $200, so i couldnt beat that.

Southfork Sooner said:
Did the sound get louder from the gutting of it? I dont want to spend a lot of money on that aspect of the sled, so that would be the best thing to do. Is it difficult? I wanted to get the Maverick, by I got the Attack 20 for $200, so i couldnt beat that.

It was a little lounder than stock. Sounds more like an F1 car. I like the sound of the gutted exhaust better than the bender and whitenuckle. It is very sweet. As far as difficulty, I don't know. I had someone else do the work. It looks pretty easy if you are familiar with a cutting torch and welding. All you do it cut 3 sides of the bottom and bend it out of the way. Then cut out all the baffling, bend the canister back into place and weld it back up. One of the better cheap mods out there. Good luck.

Lets keep this going a little bit. I'm wanting to change exhaust too but am concerned about what I might do to a pretty fine running engine (stock exhaust/intake).

Kachess/ Johnny et. al. Did your exhaust mods effect your runability, and did you have to rejet etc?

I bought Pauls (RX1M5) Moded R1 exhaust; http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

I am a little concerned I have restricted my overall volume of flow. Didin't this engine run two of these cans stock? On the other hand, it has all but one baffle removed. It is light, about 7# including the 2/1 pipe. I would prefer to go the Kachess route under the tunnel but do like the look of this too (It was cheap, and its done). My sled came with a rack, and everything carried on it stinks, or melts.

Think I will just change one thing at a time, and see how it goes. Also want to dump the stock airbox for the K&N setup but lord knows how the engine will react to all that. The thought of pulling the carb rack more than once for rejetting is not appealing.

Not sure if there was a question in there...

Regards, Mark

No rejetting with the under tunnel exhaust. The pipe is 1.75 in diam vs my old excell exhaust that was 2.25 in diam, but no difference in performance. No difference in how they run. Our sleds climb like crazy. We now have a third one, just bought by a fellow rider, undergoing transformation. Go with k&N's and you have another story. Our tupperware airboxes look like hell, but don't affect carburation, don't ice up, vent the crankcase, take 30minutes to make, go on and off easilly, drop 4lbs, and cost $4. When your sled is kicking guy's butts, they don't have much to say about an ugly tuperware container under the hood. On our last ride where our sleds were going where 800 revs and big bore vertical escapes couldn't, all they could say is "well, I couldn't live without my reverse". My buddy with a new 600rev messed with his airbox last week and burned down his engine. Under 500 miles on the sled. Converts are slow in coming, but they're coming.

Attachments

• 09-16-04 Airbox Mod 005 (Small).jpg
    09-16-04 Airbox Mod 005 (Small).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 09-16-04 Airbox Mod 002 (Small).jpg
    09-16-04 Airbox Mod 002 (Small).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 134
Kachess, you don't get any snow sucked in through your intake??? I had to spend the night in the bush because of snow being sucked in my airbox. My foam turned to a block of ice and I couldn't run without the foam.

I do have an experimental fix though. I bought a pre-filter from a Polaris ATV. I will cut it and cover the intake hole and fasten it with a wide elastic band. Pre-filters have less than 1% air restriction and snow does not stick to it. I will take a pic when I get around to doing it.

Warden, don't worry, there's enough for your sled too, I made sure of that.

Kachess, that is really innovative!

I did weigh the stock airbox at about 7.5# it has to go one way or another. Never had any trouble sucking snow in though, and my sled doubles as a submarine. After reading Petes story, I'm not taking my sled that far afield (ever) until some changes are made. Sometimes after idling for a few minutes it would initially bog, then be fine (could have been water). I like the K&N idea just to clean up space under there. Jonny I think you are at about my altitude 4-6K. Its a huge jetting change with those filters from stock (137.5?). Did you go with the colder spark plugs too? Different carb springs? Worth buying the kit or just put the parts together yourself? It looks like a pretty good torque gain for the money.

BTW, weighed the '05 153 M7 skid the UPS guy just dropped off at 51-52# with all the wheels.

Thanks all...

Here are some pics of my exhaust system. I have since cut the turn down off as it was rubbing on the track on really hard whoops. I had the system ceramic coated after I built it. It'll be for sale when I get my turbo done, which at todays pace will be next year some time if I'm lucky. I was running 162.5 main jets but have pulled back to 160's with the K&N filters and the sled runs better. I need to change the pilots as well. I believe they are stock 03 right now but they are clearly too fat for our riding at 6000-8000 feet. Anybody know a good pilot setup?

Attachments

• exhaustpic.JPG
    exhaustpic.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 112
  • rearone.JPG
    rearone.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 118
That exhaust looks great!

I don't have a problem sucking snow, but I have a shield I attach that bridges between the airbox and the aluminum cross member ahead of it. I one time I did suck some snow dust I turned on my carb head and taped my front screens and it went away. I still have tape on my front screens. Fortunately, it rarely gets bellow 20 F where we ride.

Well, it's really stormin outside again and with cold windchill. There is absolutely no way I would go anywhere without the pre-filter.

When I think back to before discovering the problem, I am sure there was snow in the airbox, then it would thaw in the heated garage and puddle up inside. There is a drain hole on the one side of the box, but it does not drain everything. Anyway, fire it up and where does the water go??...straight into the carbs.

Back