• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which GPS unit to buy?

after using garmin for years i bought an earthmate pn 40 duel processors super fast map loads and the best feature is the downloadable sat imagey basically goggle earth on you handheld frickin awesome stuff and a full year of unlimited downloads is 29.99 so when your out exploreing you can pull up aerial images and see the trees and whatever else that may be around . totaly love this thing its made by delorme check it out and it comes with topo us plus 40 dollars in free downloads i think i paid 325 at walmart :Rockon:

Garmin GPSMAP

Definitly a Garmin GPSMAP. Got mine wired to my sled and with a detachable mounting bracket. Go to www.gpssledmaps.com and get all the trail maps and upload em in the unit. Works awesome, beats reading a huge paper map anyday!

Attachments

• garmin.JPG
    garmin.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 137
I recommendthe Garmin units. I would choose the Oregon 400t, or the Oregon 300, or the Garmin GPS60CSx in that order depending on how much you want to spend.

If you want to go with a cheaper unit then I would recommend a Garmin GPSV which is what I presently have. You can find a GPS V on ebay for ~$100 or less.

I want a unit which is waterproof, can store tracks (and this is important), waypoints, and can be powered from the sled vs depending on internal batteries. A USB connection to transfer data between the computer and the GPS is also necessary .

The GPS V is not color and the screen is smaller than the others. It can be placed in portrait or landscape mode and I like that feature. Other than not being in color it has all the features I like and use. The GPS V only has a serial connection and not a USB connection.

Presently, I set up the tracking function when I ride and save the track into my home computer (Mapsource Program). The next time I ride that same set of trails I upload the track back into the GPS and it is visible overlayed on the map on the GPS screen.

This has worked well and I have a lot of tracks for New Hampshire where I ride.

Whatever you end up getting ( I have a Garmin ETrex, and I love it!!! Thanks sleddheadd!!!! ), make sure you get 'RAM' mounts for it!!! There are frickin sweet, very well made, and ten times better than the alternative ( at least Garmin mounts anyway....they suck!!!) My $.02....

Attachments

• exhaust flex 003.JPG
    exhaust flex 003.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 111
I ended up getting a Nuvi550 mid season and it's great. It has a lithium ion battery, which is pretty resilient in the cold. I do have it hooked up to the sled for power and the touch screen gave me no problems in the cold. It's a larger, and better sized unit than my 76cx. I also use it in my truck when travelling.

The only downfall versus my 76cx is that you can't save multiple tracks, but it does have a routing option which gives a history of your trip. This can then be uploaded to a computer and converted to to a map with the appropriate software. I thought that I'd really miss the multiple tracks saving option, however most of the trails in my area have been mapped out already, so there isn't a pressing need for it.

A great all around unit which can be used equally well on a sled and in your vehicle.

One more vote for Garmin.

I have the Rino 530 (updated Hcx version) and absolutely love it. No it doesnt have a huge touch screen or do spoken directions and also doesn't come preloaded with detailed road maps, only major highways, but it's an awesome unit. Fully Milspec ruggedized and weather and water proof. Also has a built in FRS/GMRS radio and weather radio. And if you have multiples Rino users in a group, the units can use the radio to transmit their positions to eachother and you can see your buddies on your screen. The battery lasts forever too- i can drive 5 hours in the car, ride 2 full days, then drive another 5 hours on a single charge if i want to. It also has a built in magnetic compass sensor (instead of deriving compass from the GPS) and a barometric pressure sensor/altimeter.

As well as in the car, I use it on the sled in the winter and on my bike in the summer. The alert tones are easily heard through the helmet over the engine and wind noise on both. You can save quite a few logs and also make lots of pre-planned routes. On the sled I use the unit for simply tracking where I've been and backtracking if need be but in the car and on the bike I use the navigation. In the summer, I sit down and plan out a bike ride on GoogleMaps, dump it to a GPX file and then use a program called EasyGPS to import the GPX file and send it to the Garmin. Works awesome.

I have the 2007 Garmin North America city maps right now on it but just this morning found all the stuff over at GPSFileDepot so I'm going to start playing with those as well.

I bought a 60csx this spring and put it on my bike this summer and it worked great. I put the North American NT map in it and love it. It is like having a paper map in front of you. Going to wire the sled when I get it home and put a mount on and get a trail map for it. I think it will work great. Just got to decide which map source to get. :yam:

are there maps of the trails avalible to download onto a gps system? or are all these just a satelite image that you see like ok im close to that lake i must be here? if that made sense to you guys

Back