• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which GPS unit to buy?

I've used the Garmin Nuvi on my sled for years and it worked well but was not waterproof. I just bought a new Garmin Nuve 500, which is waterproof and includes topo maps and street maps. I downloaded the NY maps from gpssledmaps, and bought a RAM mount for it. Should be ready for snow!

I myself was looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx any thoughts on this one, i was unable to find the tempature rating. i will be using it on a week long camping trip and need to make sure that it will work after getting wet and freezing...

Thanks!

It's a good unit too. I had that model before the 76cx and Nuvi 550. It has the smallest screen of the bunch.

how well does it fair in -20oc tempatures? I feel the battery will the the biggest issue so i am goin to try and wire it to my sled if possible

I bought a Garmin Zumo 660 this summer. I had the idea to make it into a hybrid, using it in my cars, ATV and sled.
It comes with a mount for a motorcycle, which I have wired on the sled, awaiting snow. It is waterproof and can handle low tempatures.
So far I have only used it in my truck and I am not happy with it at all. The menu are not user friendly and although it comes with different profiles, you have to choose the maps you want to use etc.. every time you change profiles. I gregret buying it, especially because it was quite expensive. I hope it will do its job on my sled.

yamahas said:
how well does it fair in -20oc tempatures? I feel the battery will the the biggest issue so i am goin to try and wire it to my sled if possible

If I remember, the Legends have the best rating for cold conditions. You can check the specs in the owner's manual, which can be downloaded from the Garmin website.

Hardwiring it to the sled is the best option. For my Nuvi, I keep the backlight on full while out riding to help keep the internals warm.

yamahas said:
I myself was looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx any thoughts on this one, i was unable to find the tempature rating. i will be using it on a week long camping trip and need to make sure that it will work after getting wet and freezing...

Thanks!

Have this one, works great!
Small screen, but has worked well down to -20F, without any issue.
Regular Alkalines last about a day in the serious cold.
E2 Lithium batteries last 2 days in the cold.

Has gotten wet, no problem.
May be selling it in the near future, simply looking for a larger screen.

Have Topo & Marine maps for it.
All download off the computer.

I have one of the older Garmins, not in color like it is now though.

Is there a good spot to mount it and have them directly powered by the sled? I just keep mine in my pocket in case I get really lost (its saved me a few times). would be nice to have it visible.

Pictures or suggestions anyone?

Heres where I had my garmin legend.Didnt interfear with anything.

Attachments

• adjustable riser.JPG
    adjustable riser.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 158

Back