• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who on the forum sells Expert-X?

SIMMER

TY 4 Stroke Master
I may go this route and take it on as a summer project. Looking for some specs on the new Expert -X as well.

If you have an 05 RX1 - have fun with the install. The cooler braces and front mounting brackets are different than the 03 and 04's - it still can be done obviously - but Ad Boivins instructions and the isntructions on this website do not apply in all areas.

I put it on mine, and would do it again, I just didn't know going in that there was a difference between the 04's and 05's in that area.

You will need a dremel to cut some of the running board cooler bracing out. It will interfere with the rear mounting plates Ad Boivin provides.

When you remove your front stock mounting plates - I would reccomend altering them and putting them back in when all done to add more bracing. They can be made to go around the Ad Boivin plates and ad more rigidity.

The boomerang mounting plates that go on the outside will also have to be cut down in some areas - they will hit in the back bottom, so you need to grind or cut off about 1/2" to an 1".

Also, I found this out after 800 miles, those boomerange brackets will tear up the bottom of your seat. Either grind down and round the top of the brackets or put some protective materail along the bottom of the seat on the sides.

Maybe I will get some pics and put them up later.

As for the ride compared to the Mono. Assuming you are putting the Expert on so you can be a little more aggressive with the skid - the setup will not be as good as the mono in the little stuff - it is still good - just not as good as the mono - but on the harder and bigger bumps and jumping - the Expert handles that better.

Also, unless you got your monoshock updated to 06 specs - the durability of the Expert is going to be heads and tails above the Mono. 05 monos will not hold up to aggressive riding.

77srxdude said:
If you have an 05 RX1 - have fun with the install. The cooler braces and front mounting brackets are different than the 03 and 04's - it still can be done obviously - but Ad Boivins instructions and the isntructions on this website do not apply in all areas.

I put it on mine, and would do it again, I just didn't know going in that there was a difference between the 04's and 05's in that area.

You will need a dremel to cut some of the running board cooler bracing out. It will interfere with the rear mounting plates Ad Boivin provides.

When you remove your front stock mounting plates - I would reccomend altering them and putting them back in when all done to add more bracing. They can be made to go around the Ad Boivin plates and ad more rigidity.

The boomerang mounting plates that go on the outside will also have to be cut down in some areas - they will hit in the back bottom, so you need to grind or cut off about 1/2" to an 1".

Also, I found this out after 800 miles, those boomerange brackets will tear up the bottom of your seat. Either grind down and round the top of the brackets or put some protective materail along the bottom of the seat on the sides.

Maybe I will get some pics and put them up later.

As for the ride compared to the Mono. Assuming you are putting the Expert on so you can be a little more aggressive with the skid - the setup will not be as good as the mono in the little stuff - it is still good - just not as good as the mono - but on the harder and bigger bumps and jumping - the Expert handles that better.

Also, unless you got your monoshock updated to 06 specs - the durability of the Expert is going to be heads and tails above the Mono. 05 monos will not hold up to aggressive riding.
Great reply...thanks. I am very happy with the ride of the MONO just not he durability of it. I really wish these guys could build a suspension. In 2003 it was the failing W Arm on the Proaction. Now it's the entire skid that is weak.

I guess I will keep looking. Last night on a pre-ride check I found 2 missing nuts from the front W Arm and a blown rear center idler. I have had no problems at all with the sled except the skid.

If your happy witht he Monos ride - then spend a few hundred bucks and get the rail updates with the front bump stops - get all new updated bushings and collars, have grease zerks put in, and replace the brackets where the front of the rails attach to the front arm - they have a zerk in them and is important as well.

The rails have changed slightly and so has the front arm - but I don't believe they are necessary.

Don't let me steer you away from the Expert - I was just making it clear that it is not a simple bolt and rivet on install.

I have an 05 rx-1 shorty. I absolutely love the sled. But just had a problem with the mono. the transfer rod broke completely away from the front arm. Fortunately i was able to disconnect it on the trail and limp back home. Thanks to this site i was aware of problems with this skid. So i had done some mods. 936 naval bronze bushings, grease fittings, O-1 steel spacers,aftermarket rubber wheels etc. Had the skid out this fall to do these mods and everything looked fine. Opon the removal of the skid to see what i could do to fix the trans rod problem i found that the front arm is totally wasted. Cracked in 4 places all around where the shock hooks in and showing signs of fatigue in several other places. Plus my slide rails are just starting to show the dreaded smile cracks at the front and back bogey wheels. The skid had 1250 miles on it when i did the mods. It now has 2000 miles on it. So all this has happened in 750 miles of riding. I don't do jumping and would'nt consider myself hard on the sled. Now if i go with 06 parts to upgrade this skid will it really stay together or should i be looking at an xpert x or m-10. I like the ride of the mono but it just does'nt want to stay together. I ride with my son 95% of the time and he has a rev 800, that has no such problems. I will do whatever it takes to solve this problem because once you ride one of these yami 1000 four strokers theres no going back. Theres just nothing out there like them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

77srxdude said:
If your happy witht he Monos ride - then spend a few hundred bucks and get the rail updates with the front bump stops - get all new updated bushings and collars, have grease zerks put in, and replace the brackets where the front of the rails attach to the front arm - they have a zerk in them and is important as well.

The rails have changed slightly and so has the front arm - but I don't believe they are necessary.

Don't let me steer you away from the Expert - I was just making it clear that it is not a simple bolt and rivet on install.

All that was already done....I just replaced the back 2 idlers and the guide wheel in the center. Hopefully I'm done.

I have heard little to no problems with the 06 monos - this time last year there were a lot of concerned people with the 05's. I don't see why there would be any durability issue with an 05 updated to 06 standards. But that is just my opinion.

Guys,
I do have a 121" with 136" extensions Expert X for sale... about 400miles on it (+/-).
350mi are from a trip in Quebec from 2yrs ago. Skids in perfect shape...
Seems like my sled is tuning more and more into a 'race-only' sled so i don't need this skid anymore...

$1300 + Shipping

--Buster696--

77srxdude said:
I have heard little to no problems with the 06 monos - this time last year there were a lot of concerned people with the 05's. I don't see why there would be any durability issue with an 05 updated to 06 standards. But that is just my opinion.

I think this is the reason.....Most sleds in the states don't have anywhere near the miles that ours up here do. I will do 5000 miles this season over 4 or 5 trips and that's not really going crazy. Alot more can happen in 1 season for me, then 3 seasons for you guys. I will bet that the 2006 monos will also have problems....just give it time. Do a search on REX. He puts on similar miles to me and look at his list of issues WITH the 06 updates.

Back