• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

why Mountain seat

03griz

Pro
I just read on here that people prefer the apex mountain seat over the regualar apex seat. Why is that, how do you tell it is a mountain seat and I have heard they are harder, does that not make for a rougher ride(less cushion?)

The regular seat is to soft, and to identify the strip on the seat (coloured piece) is on the bottom for mountain and in the middle for GT ect

I have a mountain seat on mine and it is stiff! it makes those long days on the trail kind of sore. The softer seat is nice if you run a lot of trails, the only disadvanyage is that it will take away some of the leg room because you will sink a little farther down.

I'm 6' tall 220lbs and I was looking forward to the softer GT seat when I got my new sled, it was horrible, I sank way to low it in and it killed my back, and legs because it was so hard to stand up on a rough section coming up on you at 60mph.

The mountain or RTX seat is perfect cushion when you need it but doesn't take away 2" of leg room that you need to overcome when you stand up.

Love love love the firmer seat for ME. If your a slow speed trail rider and dont find the need to stand up a lot the GT is softer.

Not sure what way to go, picked up a GT seat yesterday but the guy also had a mountain for a few bucks more as it was in better shape......I am sure I can still pay the difference and swap.....

Mountain seat is on, just have to pick up edging tonight for the tank, not sure I like the way the tank cover sits with the 3.5 inch cut, but my tank bag will cover it anyways.

kinger said:
If your over 220lbs get the stiffer one, you'll be happy.
I'm not to sure about that one Kinger.... I'm 6'1" over 300 and mine is not comfortable to me, I would rather have the softer one. I think it is all personal preference but until you have actually sat on one how can you decide.

Well, first ride with mountain seat, very easy to stand, much better than the stuffed stocker, It was -30 so I should have had my liner in my jacket because the wind hits me in the chest now........I guess I will never know how the softer one would have been.......Oh, lastly I find you have to make sure you are not sitting too far back as I find I am on the trunk.......

I'm short but still find my butt hitting the trunk on mine too. Much easier to change from sitting to crouching to standing and back. Love mine with the Lake Effects 2.5" riser!!

I have a 2" Rox riser and my hands are stil outside of the breeze. I think you will be fine at 2.5" Also, at 225lbs soaking wet, my mountain seat is awesome!

No protectors, but even in subzero, ski gloves have kept my hands warm, most of the time without even turning on my handwarmers, and I have never turned them past 3.

Back