• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will there be something big coming for 09?

SX7 said:
You will never see turbos or S/C from Yamaha, Never.

After talking to someone from Yamaha this year I would lean this way also. He said Yamaha has entertained the idea of putting a turbo or S/C kit in the accessory catalog but Yamaha is not going to open a can of worms like that. He said the money people are spending on aftermarket boosting systems is enough to look at the prospects but the problem is will it hold up to Yamaha's reliability and durability standards? It was only a brief conversation but I was left with the impression it isn't going to happen anytime soon. ;)!

If Yamaha doesn't think it can build a reliable turbo charged or supercharged 4 stroke motor then they are not half as good as I thought they were. There is no reason that a turbo or blower should adversely affect reliability. In fact a motor that was setup properly from the facotry for boost would be a much better thing than boosting a motor that was not setup for it from the factory. You need to reduce the compression a bit and maybe strengthen some internal components, but after that it's a done deal.

I'm sorry, I just cannot be lead to believe that the 3 cylinder FI motor is only 3 pounds less weight than the 4 Cylinder FI motor WITH gear reduction. If it is, then they need to apply the same weight loss treatment to that motor that they have to the 4 cylinder.

Whats the chance that the new 1050 is built tough & heavy enough to become the new big dog next year?

How about 160 hp 3 cyl. Apex with a new chassis!!??

YEP!!!

BR

Its not a case of reliabilty at all they ( Yamaha )can handle that part. I was told by Yamaha that they don't want the liability issue of people killing themselfs ( in so many words ) not that they can't do that now on a sled but for yamaha to turbo or S/C a sled the HP would be upwards to 180 - 200 range at least and thats just not what Yamaha wants to do. Yamaha is going to leave it for the after market guys. Thats it. I tend to agree with Yamaha on this one. MAYBE S/C a 3 cyl new nytro (150hp) or some thing that will give you a certain different feel but no 200 HP thingy.

I will tell ya what,if they dont do a drastic weight reduction in the apex,and add some hp,than i may be tempted to give the xp a rip,if my bud gets one in 08 and it can handle the abuse he can dish out,not blow up the motor and get anywhere near even 15 mpg,doo states 20 and run as strong and goes as smooth over the bumps as there video shows,than i could be doing something i never thought possible driving a doo,so come on yammi,give us what we want,please!!!

put the new R1 motor in the apex chassis, 170+hp..not a big deal at all,i dont care if the weight stays the same.

RED800 said:
put the new R1 motor in the apex chassis, 170+hp..not a big deal at all,i dont care if the weight stays the same.

I'm (kinda) with mmmsb on this one. If I were riding a year or two ago, I'm sure I would have bought an Apex and loved it. However, I used to think my 600 was too heavy - throw almost 70 lbs on that, and no thanks! Would I go Doo for it? Very unlikely. I'm mechanically inept and do not trust their reliability at all, but I would certainly think about it. And who wouldn't want to try a 425 lb 150 hp sled? That's one reason I'm so excited about the Nytro (I'm even thinking about getting a truck and jumping back in to the fray a little earlier than planned) - it has pretty much everything I've been looking for in a sled since....since whenever. The days of 140 hp/550 hp wet 4-stroke sleds are not too far away....

Anyway, back to the Apex - I'm sure the Apex is the bee's knees, but it could stand to lose some weight. 560 lbs is too much for me. I believe Yamaha could somehow do 170/530 if they wanted to - hopefully they do even better(weight-wise). ;)

Ok, the wieght issue is not huge on the Apex. It is not far off of the weight of the other hyper sleds out there. This is the price of admission into hyper sled territory. The problem is that it is NOT a hyper sled at this point. If they bump the horsepower to 170 - 180 and drop 15 pounds in the process it will be every bit the sled that the Mach Z is or the 1000 Cat.

The weight is a liability when comparing it to an 800 xp, and right now that is the right comparison. If Yammie could get the Nytro motor to pump out 150+ it would be competive with the xp. The Apex needs to be aligned against the Mach Z, and right now it's 25 hp short of being able to do that.

Considering the last few years, no one can say that Yamaha has stopped innovating. No matter what the fuel economy, 4 strokes are the future and presently no other mfg is close. Considering the other thread about Polaris' FST being a bit of a dog after the first run I'm not pining for a factory turbo. After reading everyone's posts I like the idea of a 1050 3 cylinder without gear reduction at 160+ HP and 40 lbs less. I can't blame people for being tempted to lose all that weight by going to an XP but seriously, it's still a BRP motor and a first year chassis to boot. I don't miss adding oil everyday and wouldn't touch one of those until the end of next season IF they're holding up. My Apex may be a few pounds heavier and few ponies short of the real sleds to compare it to, the Mach and the F1000, but you'd never know it when riding it and I wouldn't trade for either of those sleds. I only hope I can afford the next big dog when Yamaha releases it!

Laban

Where did u get the weight specs on the engines? Snowmobile mag weigh both the Apex and the Vector SP(Nytro) and the difference was 8kg without gas but with everything else.

Now the DB2 chassis is said to be alittle lighter so the engine difference should be a bit more than 8kg. Yamaha says that the new 1050 engine is more then 4kg lighter than than the old 973. The 1050 is on my calculations 8+4=12kg lighter than the Apex engine. that is ~24lbs not 5-7...

The FX Nytro is 24lbs lighter (engine) + the weight difference in the chassis. The total weight loss should be alot more than 24lbs.

Now in my world the Apex engine (that is lightened once) can´t get that much lighter before it gets TO expencive to build.. So the only way I see them going with that engine is HIGHER HP. Or loosing one cylinder and bringing the HP to app 150-160 again. Maybee a trippel 900 with gear reduction?? :-o

Kråkan said:
Laban

Where did u get the weight specs on the engines? Snowmobile mag weigh both the Apex and the Vector SP(Nytro) and the difference was 8kg without gas but with everything else.

From the forums at snowrider.se. To lazy to look it up now.

But the Vector engine is now in the same chassis as the Apex so we can just look at the "Groomed trail" section and compare the Vector GT with the Apex GT. 557 lbs vs 560 lbs. A mere 3 lbs difference and the rest of the snowmobile is afaik exactly the same. Or at least very close. That's the old engine though, the 130 FI engine is 8 lbs lighter which means that the difference between the 130 FI and the Apex engine should be around 11 lbs or 5 kg.

QCRider said:
You're taking Yamaha's word on the weight of those two sleds? There is just no way the 4 cylinder motor with gear reduction is only 3 pounds more than the 3 cylinder motor without gear reduction.

Of course there is. Just look at the eight of the AC Z1, Ski Doo SDI 1000. They should both be much lighter then the Apex if the nr of cylinders were all that mattered. And why would Yamaha lie about the weights between their own machines ? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Back