• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Doo smart shocks

The Yamaha and Cat electronic suspension imo works flawlessly. What’s game changing is the ability to have two different pre programmed setting, driver 1 and driver 2. Combined with a great flat handling chassis and it just works. The only advantage I see with smart shocks is apparently it goes automatically to full hard when fully extended on approach to a hard landing. But that could also be one of the things hindering the ride, hmmm.

I've put 1800 miles on my XRS with SS suspension , so far no problems with it . I got sled park outside cabin with skid packed with ice snow so much that I have problem lifting it for clean up next morning . I would have no problem with ordering a new sled again with SS .
I think his point was what will they be like in a few years or more, not on a one or two year old sled.

The Yamaha and Cat electronic suspension imo works flawlessly. What’s game changing is the ability to have two different pre programmed setting, driver 1 and driver 2. Combined with a great flat handling chassis and it just works. The only advantage I see with smart shocks is apparently it goes automatically to full hard when fully extended on approach to a hard landing. But that could also be one of the things hindering the ride, hmmm.

Based on their published information, the approach that KYB took is to do as little as possible to solve the problem right in front of them (from the last data window). If the shock last moved at velocity X and the sled is moving at velocity y, do the minimum adjustment to damping that would allow the sled to absorb any follow on impact.

This helps them avoid overshooting (overcorrecting) and oscillations that could happen. Its also a very conservative approach and forces any mistakes to be small in scale which they can recover from quickly. The other problem that occurs to me is that the shock force curves are not linear (the springs are, the valving typically isn't). This means that whatever compensation they are doing, it has to be in concert with the shocks native force curve.

I am super curious as to what the limiting factors are. Is it the sample rate, the speed of the sled.. what their data sampling rates are (I think they said every 2ms) and how that translates into real world data fidelity. Oh, I know, the limit has to be the spring rate (fc) on the shocks themselves. That makes sense, any change you do make has to fit within the envelope of the spring rate, that sets both the slowest and fastest speeds that you can react effectively.

IQS works well enough, it just isn't easily accessible.

It's neat stuff but I would like the individually adjustable QS3-R's on my next winder.

Another reason I went for the LTX-LE. I didn't actually want any shock modules or wires to break or fail, I've seen and heard of many of all brands fail. I never adjust the shocks anyway once set. I tend to ride smooth groomed trails if I have a choice. If its rougher out I don't have a problem turning a knob for it. I like the KISS principal myself.

Another reason I went for the LTX-LE. I didn't actually want any shock modules or wires to break or fail, I've seen and heard of many of all brands fail. I never adjust the shocks anyway once set. I tend to ride smooth groomed trails if I have a choice. If its rougher out I don't have a problem turning a knob for it. I like the KISS principal myself.
Theres been enough of the module failures on 2019 winders documented here.
Mine included.
Not a part I would have expected to fail.

Here's a review of the 23 LTX LE.
Even they're not aware that the shocks are the R versions.

24,000km combined on our 2021 srxs with iqs and no issues. It sounds like all the issues were on the 2019s. I like being able to change damping on the fly. Wish the setting could be modified a bit though. Soft or 1 I would like 1.5 leave medium or 2 alone. Hard or 3 should be a 2.5. Also wish they would put a better center shock on the iqs models. The smart shocks seem to be a reactive system always trying to catch up to the bump or mogul. I wasn't over impressed by them. A few people I ride with had them and ordered the standard shocks this year.

never had a problem with the shocks or wiring on my 2021 srx best system I ever used never failed

100% agree. I was glad to get my 2022 EPS Tcat without the electronic shocks.

It's neat stuff but I would like the individually adjustable QS3-R's on my next winder.
Would have been even better had Arctic cat put iqs on the qs3r's and mounted them to the tcat and srx. That truly would have been a premium shock setup.

24,000km combined on our 2021 srxs with iqs and no issues. It sounds like all the issues were on the 2019s. I like being able to change damping on the fly. Wish the setting could be modified a bit though. Soft or 1 I would like 1.5 leave medium or 2 alone. Hard or 3 should be a 2.5. Also wish they would put a better center shock on the iqs models. The smart shocks seem to be a reactive system always trying to catch up to the bump or mogul. I wasn't over impressed by them. A few people I ride with had them and ordered the standard shocks this year.
you can have those revalved just as you described. Common upgrade for those shocks.

Would have been even better had Arctic cat put iqs on the qs3r's and mounted them to the tcat and srx. That truly would have been a premium shock setup.
I would really like to see that. Would be easy to do to an existing IQS sled. Just need the Qs3r’s. I would also like to hack the ECU. The IQS adjuster has infinite adjustment. Only thing limiting it is the programming.

Back