• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

winder vs doo

done dooin'_winder up

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder stx 137 dx
well, i had to know before the snow goes away. not looking good here for snow long range, 50's and rain again, we may be done around here. soooo....i have an 800 etec 14' gsx se, it is bone stock, 137 1.25 track 96 studs, 2800 miles. i had it in for recall last spring for rave valve and put it onto the trailer at dealer where it sat unchecked until today so i had to make sure the work done was o.k. turbo winder stx 137 dx 1.6 track 96 studs, clutch kit in primary 390 miles. did two runs with both sleds in same areas from markers, appx. 600' and 800' hard pack dirt road, little dust, 25f. 600' from 20 mph both sleds 105 speedo. around the other side of the block to the 800' run from 70mph to wfo doo 117, winder 110. i have gps but did not use it, have to read how first. i will flash and continue with clutch and gearing, and it just isn't broke in yet. 125-130 is what i want. in a field when you grab a handful and it grabs, no comparison, winder all the way! tom, let me know if this should be elsewhere.

WOW you need to set up my sleds if your getting those speeds in that short of distance.

Doo speedo is off farther than the winder! Seams I have readDoo is high by 7-8% winder is near dead nuts if hooked up.

joe i was actually disappointed with the top number, seems a lot of guys are going over 120 with the same gears right out of the box? remember these were from rolling starts at 20 and 70mph. i did hit 111mph when i went back out 8750rpm. the 600' is pretty accurate as it is along the side of my old farm and i know the length, the doo had hit 117 in the past, but thats it. it comes stock geared different than the gades. have not had a chance with conditions for longer wot pulls, and certainly wouldn't want to on the 2s:). ordering the 35/39 helix and will shim it.

Last edited:
I was only able to hit 100 (speedo) on my LTX-LE yesterday and I'm machined for coil bind now. Previous best was 108. So, I'm in the same boat. Jealous of others seeing stock top speeds pushing 120. Also, have 35/39 on the way and am strongly considering thunder kit sooner rather than later.

I was only able to hit 100 (speedo) on my LTX-LE yesterday and I'm machined for coil bind now. Previous best was 108. So, I'm in the same boat. Jealous of others seeing stock top speeds pushing 120. Also, have 35/39 on the way and am strongly considering thunder kit sooner rather than later.
i have the thunder kit already, great choice, get the adjuster too so you can maintain optimal deflection without hit or miss shims, 22t sprocket and 35/39 on the way. will shim when i do it and i just checked with someone here and a proven secondary replacement spring is not available yet. really waiting for the tunes to be totally worked out before i commit. would like to keep stock muffler and sacrifice the max hp but will always be able to upgrade. TD has my vote so far with their incredible time after time posted real results. when my buddies that bought the 850 eventually ride this, i want them to realize their mistake about 4 strokes. even if you have to put $1500 in upgrades on these to make TD style space shuttle feeling runs, it will still last far longer than any 2s. and the ride is better than the air ride gsx i have. i love it!!!

i have the thunder kit already, great choice, get the adjuster too so you can maintain optimal deflection without hit or miss shims, 22t sprocket and 35/39 on the way. will shim when i do it and i just checked with someone here and a proven secondary replacement spring is not available yet. really waiting for the tunes to be totally worked out before i commit. would like to keep stock muffler and sacrifice the max hp but will always be able to upgrade. TD has my vote so far with their incredible time after time posted real results. when my buddies that bought the 850 eventually ride this, i want them to realize their mistake about 4 strokes. even if you have to put $1500 in upgrades on these to make TD style space shuttle feeling runs, it will still last far longer than any 2s. and the ride is better than the air ride gsx i have. i love it!!!
Well said and agree. We're on the same page. Was wondering about the 22/gearing as well. What are the benefits and disadvantages if stock and no flash? Really planned on only modding in the realm of not voiding warranty. So, didn't want to flash.

So some believe coil bind in the secondary to be the culprit, slowing top speed?

I ran up to speedo indicated 110mph @ 8450, I think.....Without studs. I'd have to double check rpm. Have have been 8650. One or the other.

Going to be making some long runs this week. Just want to know what to check for.

I have a stock 137" SE with 144studs.

So some believe coil bind in the secondary to be the culprit, slowing top speed?

I ran up to speedo indicated 110mph @ 8450, I think.....Without studs. I'd have to double check rpm. Have have been 8650. One or the other.

Going to be making some long runs this week. Just want to know what to check for.

I have a stock 137" SE with 144studs.
I'm now machined for coil bind, though. From what I'm seeing reported here, the SE seems to be having better top speeds. :o|
But more power to you guys. Happy for you. Just wish my LE was as fast (or faster :D

I don't think the 22 gear will add any more top speed,if you are having trouble hitting 100 or 110 speedo,it may keep belt run a tad cooler, but that might be it. I would wonder why you gents are not hitting 8700 all the time,if you are 3-400 under operating max rpms that can effect top speed a lot,have you marked your primary sheeve to see where your belt rides at WO? I would also remove both springs,and install belt,and see where it goes into the secondary at full shift.

Snowaddict, have you checked your charge tubes and vacuum lines? Clutch hot? Something just doesn't sound right. I know my offset is under by almost 2mm at 59.6mm, but on a gradual run paying close attention to tac and speed i was at 90 mph @7200 on the lake before running out of room and 117 and on the return pass with not enough room to keep it pulled. Clutch was quite warm so i didn't want to push it. Only thing i've done is Pilot 6.9's and studded up the middle with 144 Warthog B84.

Snowaddict, have you checked your charge tubes and vacuum lines? Clutch hot? Something just doesn't sound right. I know my offset is under by almost 2mm at 59.6mm, but on a gradual run paying close attention to tac and speed i was at 90 mph @7200 on the lake before running out of room and 117 and on the return pass with not enough room to keep it pulled. Clutch was quite warm so i didn't want to push it. Only thing i've done is Pilot 6.9's and studded up the middle with 144 Warthog B84.
I have not checked those myself, but just had it in to dealer for initial (500 mile) service. They said all looked good. And service guy is very good. Will give it a once over again this week, though. Thanks for the info. The only other thing I changed recently was putting on the goggle bag. Clutch heat has usually been warm, but not too hot to touch.

I ran 102 on my lake with 8 inches of loose snow this weekend. Breaking trail on it. 8500 rpm. Very happy with that. Have not had a lot of chances to check top end on trail. I get a bit nervous on some trails at times. Deer other factors like flatness. I have pounded it to the bar at times for a couple seconds. Pulls right about 8850 on trails. Nothing like popping skis at 60 mph ON A 137 COUPLED SLED. Pulls skis up to 75 mph on dead stop- about 2 inches.

I ran 102 on my lake with 8 inches of loose snow this weekend. Breaking trail on it. 8500 rpm. Very happy with that. Have not had a lot of chances to check top end on trail. I get a bit nervous on some trails at times. Deer other factors like flatness. I have pounded it to the bar at times for a couple seconds. Pulls right about 8850 on trails. Nothing like popping skis at 60 mph ON A 137 COUPLED SLED. Pulls skis up to 75 mph on dead stop- about 2 inches.
Very nice Jon. Especially in loose stuff. I'm hoping that's why I was only able to get 100 out of mine this weekend in open potato field. Same stretch i saw 108 couple weeks back, but was hard pack at that time. Was hoping now that I am machined for coil bind it would be more mph.
Goodies on the way. Will be calling you this evening.

Back