• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

windshield frosting up

900cfi

Pro
My buddy has a 2014 venture tf and has the super high windshield but can't really use it as it is always frosted up.Is there anyway to prevent this frosting up so he can see where he is going in -40 to -50celsius?Thanks

My buddy has a 2014 venture tf and has the super high windshield but can't really use it as it is always frosted up.Is there anyway to prevent this frosting up so he can see where he is going in -40 to -50celsius?Thanks

I have the same sled only ‘16 model and this problem is so annoying to have to deal with on an otherwise very well riding, comfortable machine in my opinion.
After taking a closer look, I’m convinced that most of my steam gathering on the inside of my tall windshield creating the frost-over is actually the heat rising from the headlight lamps. So before I go drilling any holes in my dash or windshield, I’m going to try LED bulbs as they don’t create heat. I have to order them but once I’ve tried my idea I’ll let you know if it worked.

I have the same sled only ‘16 model and this problem is so annoying to have to deal with on an otherwise very well riding, comfortable machine in my opinion.
After taking a closer look, I’m convinced that most of my steam gathering on the inside of my tall windshield creating the frost-over is actually the heat rising from the headlight lamps. So before I go drilling any holes in my dash or windshield, I’m going to try LED bulbs as they don’t create heat. I have to order them but once I’ve tried my idea I’ll let you know if it worked.

I have read on here somewhere that due to the lack of heat from the LED, that it can cause your headlight to start fogging up. You may want to consider that before spending your money. Just a thought.

I have read on here somewhere that due to the lack of heat from the LED, that it can cause your headlight to start fogging up. You may want to consider that before spending your money. Just a thought.

Thanks! First I heard of that one.
So I could end up with a headlight fogging up, that will chances are, never dry out without taking the headlight appart to achieve a clear windshield. Gain in one area and lose in another.
I wonder if those HID headlight kits run any cooler than stock bulbs.

Thanks! First I heard of that one.
So I could end up with a headlight fogging up, that will chances are, never dry out without taking the headlight appart to achieve a clear windshield. Gain in one area and lose in another.
I wonder if those HID headlight kits run any cooler than stock bulbs.

Also, last year in a temporary attempt to stop the steam from frosting up my windshield. I took a regular neck pillow that one would use on a bus or airplane and stuffed it into the nose of my dashboard behind the gauges/windshield supports tightly up against the bottom “V” of the windshield. It worked great only after traveling, if I didn’t keep an eye on it, it would work it’s way away from the windshield and once again allow the steam to rise up between the pillow and the plexiglass. Perhaps this is an idea I’ll have to re-visit. Being black in colour it wasn’t at all noticeable. I may add strips of Velcro to the bottom inside of my windshield and try it again.

This may affect certain sleds?I have led headlights on my 03 rx1&they don't fog up&are way better for visibility,you can see much better to each side&eyes of animals,signs etc are much more visible wish I had installed them years ago!!

Would a windshield bag do the trick? If it does, you get extra storage as an added benefit. I’ve got them on my Vipers and they don’t obstruct your view.

They may, I have one on one of my Vmax-4’s. I’ll have to try and find out how tightly they fit on the Venture/Apex etc dash. As long as they’ll fit tightly against the plexiglass without any seems or gaps for the steam to escape a windshield bag should work and yes, an added storage spot is always good.
I’ve outfitted my Venture with motorcycle compartments actually. Trunk and hard-case saddlebags.

They may, I have one on one of my Vmax-4’s. I’ll have to try and find out how tightly they fit on the Venture/Apex etc dash. As long as they’ll fit tightly against the plexiglass without any seems or gaps for the steam to escape a windshield bag should work and yes, an added storage spot is always good.
I’ve outfitted my Venture with motorcycle compartments actually. Trunk and hard-case saddlebags.
This may affect certain sleds?I have led headlights on my 03 rx1&they don't fog up&are way better for visibility,you can see much better to each side&eyes of animals,signs etc are much more visible wish I had installed them years ago!!

Just LED replacement bulbs like I see on eBay etc?
No special ballasts or relays or anything to instal. Just unplug stock headlight bulbs and plug in LED’s?
I had the HID kit on my ‘03 Rx-1 but it was a complete kit.

Just LED replacement bulbs like I see on eBay etc?
No special ballasts or relays or anything to instal. Just unplug stock headlight bulbs and plug in LED’s?
I had the HID kit on my ‘03 Rx-1 but it was a complete kit.
They are plug&play &have small ballasts Inline (Should have mentioned to get good quality!the ones I bought were expensive but worth every penny

Ooops, my apologies for posting in the wrong forum. My wife’s sled is a RS Venture and I ride my Viper so I’m always interested in both forums, hence the mix up. Sooooo, the windshield fogging thing, she gets that also and we’re also thinking that Rain-x might help that. The windshield bag does not exist to my knowledge.

They are plug&play &have small ballasts Inline (Should have mentioned to get good quality!the ones I bought were expensive but worth every penny
Ooops, my apologies for posting in the wrong forum. My wife’s sled is a RS Venture and I ride my Viper so I’m always interested in both forums, hence the mix up. Sooooo, the windshield fogging thing, she gets that also and we’re also thinking that Rain-x might help that. The windshield bag does not exist to my knowledge.

Yeah, with the Ventures high windshield comes brackets in the way of a windshield bag.
As for Rain-x or alcohol of any kind, I can’t see that working. Doesn’t work for the inside of a helmet visor which is pretty much the same principle here. Warm moist steam touching something that is freezing cold.

Go to the next shorter size windshield. Still offers a lot of protection but my line of vision is just over the top of it. Now it doesn't matter if it frost up. I've run LED headlight bulbs for the past 2 years with no fogging problems what-so-ever, ton's of light, love em.

20180308_133921.jpg

20160304_115242x.jpg

Last edited:
Go to the next shorter size windshield. Still offers a lot of protection but my line of vision is just over the top of it. Now it doesn't matter if it frost up. I've run LED headlight bulbs for the past 2 years with no fogging problems what-so-ever, ton's of light, love em.

View attachment 146223

View attachment 146222

While I know not looking through the windshield is an option but it doesn’t solve the problem for those of us who enjoy the comfort of a high windscreen.
Others might be game for it but for me to have a large windshield like you have in the photo only not quite so high, completely frosted over, I would have to stand up every time I went through trails in the woods that are only the width of a snowmobile between trees. Kinda need to be able to see where the tips of my skis are, not 20’ ahead of me but that’s just me.
I retired my Rx-1 with a 6” high black windshield and my days of crotch rocket sleds with no windshields are over. Well, accept for my Vmax-4’s but they only come out in the spring when it’s mild and the lake is flat wet ice lol.

Back