• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Won't Start

natbay89

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Apex XTX
I bought a 2011 Apex XTX two days ago. 2900 miles, sled is mint. Went to start it up tonight in my garage and it won't fire. Can hear fuel pump, rolls over but will not start. Any ideas??

It was running at one point, I assume. Check the traditional stuff...spark, fuel, air. I know it's not easy getting at the plugs, but several years ago a friend kept starting his apex for anyone that came over to see it, never letting it fully warm up. Then, it didn't start anymore. Eventually it did fire, but not on four, so he replaced the plugs and it was perfect after that. Hopefully it's minor.
And make sure the fuel light isn't on. You may be out if gas even though you hear the pump.

x2 on the gas.

It was running at one point, I assume. Check the traditional stuff...spark, fuel, air. I know it's not easy getting at the plugs, but several years ago a friend kept starting his apex for anyone that came over to see it, never letting it fully warm up. Then, it didn't start anymore. Eventually it did fire, but not on four, so he replaced the plugs and it was perfect after that. Hopefully it's minor.
And make sure the fuel light isn't on. You may be out if gas even though you hear the pump.

Funny you mention starting it for people...I have done the same a couple times. It probably is the plugs. Thanks for the info!

Easiest way to get access to the spark plugs?

Easiest way to get access to the spark plugs?
Easiest way is take off the air box then it makes it easier to access them. Isn't easy but that is exactly what happened to mine when I got it. It has to completely warm up before you shut it down. Give it some time it may in fact start, just keep cranking.

Easiest way is take off the air box then it makes it easier to access them. Isn't easy but that is exactly what happened to mine when I got it. It has to completely warm up before you shut it down. Give it some time it may in fact start, just keep cranking.
Do I have to take off the speedo/dash and headlight set up?

It isn't throwing any codes is it? If there is a fault the computer can identify it will display a code in your display readout while you are turning the engine over (and I think it stays on the screen for a bit after) that then you can look up and identify any issues. My '09 apex wouldn't start this year after bring out of storage, was displaying a "12" on the display area which is for the crank sensor/stator assembly. I swapped that out (wasn't too bad of a repair) and am now good to go. Seems the computer auto-clears the codes once the parts are fixed.

It isn't throwing any codes is it? If there is a fault the computer can identify it will display a code in your display readout while you are turning the engine over (and I think it stays on the screen for a bit after) that then you can look up and identify any issues. My '09 apex wouldn't start this year after bring out of storage, was displaying a "12" on the display area which is for the crank sensor/stator assembly. I swapped that out (wasn't too bad of a repair) and am now good to go. Seems the computer auto-clears the codes once the parts are fixed.
I replaced all the plugs. It fired right up! I'm guessing it was loaded up from the dealer firing it up for people. Thanks for all the input!

Back