• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Would it be possible to use a M60 Supercharger

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
Just brainstorming as I want boost but I'm a cheap azz, would it be worth the effort to make a pulley system off the mag like MPI and run a std M60 roots supercharger available in junkyards for less then $100? Have to fab the IC and intake to the SC,etc. Question is would the 5-7 psi be worth it. I haven't studied the compressor charts or anything and I know the rotrex of MPI is awesome but its also $$$$$.

Just seems like you could boost for less then $1300 with the main cost the IC. (on a RX not a FI sled)

:4STroke:

I just finished installing a OC2087 supercharger on my rx1mtn (with apex engine and efi).

I used my old BD intercooler which I modded to connect it to the blower.

Dynoed it at 180hp running pig rich (black smoke all the run) and 5 psi (BOV was open....)

Maxed out the dyno at 93.3# of torque (supposedly the dyno max at 115# torque at the output shaft...) From 4000 rpm till 11000rpm. Talk about a flat torque curve hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

This give me between 12 et 13 psi of boost (according to boost gauge plugged behind trottle bodies)

If you want an intercooler for rx1 and this style of blower that is a water to air style, I still have my complete intercooler/water pump/heat tunnel heat exchanger that I can sell you.

How did you design the belt system from scratch, or buy parts from MPI, etc?

What is a OC2087 blower? a twin screw?

Would you IC and stuff fit on a M series eaton like I'm talking about?

This would be for trail application no mountain riding for me

The water to air is good for trail application, in fact I changed to air-air because I did not need that extra charge cooling capacity for what I do with that sled.

You will need to fabricate a blower discharge flange to meet that intercooler.

It is designed to meet at the top of the blower which sit just at the same place as the mpi blowers.

You will definitely need some time to make this work correctly.

I even still have the modified carburetors rack to accomodate that kind of blower. (immediate boost right from idle), which is much different from the MPI blower kits that are more smooth.

If you go this route, you'll quickly find you need SERIOUS traction right off the line.

The OA2087 is a lysholm style blower (twin screw).

On the dyno we tested and it held a stable 13 psi from under 4000 till revlimiter.

MulotTurbo said:
The water to air is good for trail application, in fact I changed to air-air because I did not need that extra charge cooling capacity for what I do with that sled.

You will need to fabricate a blower discharge flange to meet that intercooler.

It is designed to meet at the top of the blower which sit just at the same place as the mpi blowers.

You will definitely need some time to make this work correctly.

I even still have the modified carburetors rack to accomodate that kind of blower. (immediate boost right from idle), which is much different from the MPI blower kits that are more smooth.

If you go this route, you'll quickly find you need SERIOUS traction right off the line.

The OA2087 is a lysholm style blower (twin screw).

On the dyno we tested and it held a stable 13 psi from under 4000 till revlimiter.

That set up sounds cool, Isn't the lysholm screw on the top of the food chain in the positive displacement blower word?

I think some pic are needed dude.

I have this short video... before intercooler fabrication ;)

You can partly see how is the integration....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12MYqjhn_jw

And the sound is MUCH MUCH less loud with the intercooler on.

Here is a look at the water-air intercooler (for rx1 engine with carburetors)

Here is a look at the pulley system (was on rx1 engine at that time... but is similar on apex engine)

If I close the BOV at idle it build around 10-11# of boost... that is crazy!

Back