• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XF9000 wont start, dead display. Cranks fine.

Odmark91

Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
2018 Arctic Cat XF9000 280hp
Okay no Yamaha, but almost!

After a shorter late night trip today my XF9000 suddenly won't start. It cranks fine but the display won't turn on and it does not fire. Fuel pump does not run. (And before you say it, killswitch is not engaged)
It's -32°C outside, maybe that has something to do with it?

It has been running strong all day, even cold starting it this morning was not an issue.

I had to leave the sled in the woods and have to go back tomorrow when it's supposed to be a little bit warmer trying to fix and get it home.

I'm just wondering if you guys have any idea what could cause this so I have something to work with tomorrow?

Did it die or was it shut off and now won’t restart. I had this happen to Viper when shut off to refuel. Wen’t to restart and crank crank crank but would not fire. I ended up disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. After reconnecting it fired up and hasn’t done it since. Some times electronics just get logic locked for lack of a better term. Worth a shot if fuses test good.

Im trying to warm the relays now, hopefully that works.

It was shut off and won't restart, i will try disconnecting the battery if warming the relays does nothing, thank you!

Sounds like a relay issue but check all your fuses as well. I had a dead display a couple years ago and it was a fuse...don't remember which one.

I forgot to get back to you, it was a frozen relay issue. Took them out and brought them home to thaw them and then it worked fine.
this will happen nearly every time you run it from the garage or trailer to outside and then quickly shut it off. the machine needs to get warm enough to dispel the moisture inside the relay, if it doesnt, the moisture freezes the relay open and wont make contact. There are the solid state relays as well, and they are definately better, but my experience with them is the same, (just alot less instances). When it happens, i usually just hold the relay tightly in my hands for a minute or so, plug it in and good to go.

Sometimes i can start the machine because just the one relay is stuck. It will run with no gauges or headlight, couple minutes down the trail and everything turns back on.

Back