• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Limiter straps torn

My first one broke(left side) around @900 miles. I replaced both immediately and had shocks revalved that summer. I put another @1800 miles last winter and just went down and looked at them and noticed wear on the bottom (had to use a flashlight to see it). Glad somebody reposted this and made me look a second time more closely as I didn't notice the damage underneath when doing the skid maintenance. Just ordered 2 replacement straps.

Pete

8600 Miles on my original fix and my straps still look like brand new!
Hi,

I was going to put the sled away for the season and notice the straps are getting all chewed up and that the top washers are all bent up & it looks like they are chewing up the drive lugs, there are indent marks in the lugs probally from the washers. This I believe is being done from the top mounting location as the bottom is mounted solid, I welded tabs on like Beenba did.

Was wondering if KKraus limiter strap fix is still holding up and with how many miles on the fix. Would the double up fix be good enough or has anyone drilled a hole thru the top shaft & strap and bolted it all tight so it can't move, or welded tabs facing down to keep it all tight.

The only thing I did vs last year was raise the skid up one hole and I think this was enough to allow the strap to become looser.

Has anyone heard if Yamaha has done anything about this problem?

Thanks for the help,

I check mine all the time its just a matter of time , when you install the new one bend the bottom of the strap towards the back of the sled , so far it works for me .

Put my sled away last week. Was giving it a once over and I'd say I was a few miles away from one of them tearing through and the other 50%. I really like my nytro and have it working good but, with all these little things adding up, there may be a viper in my near future!

Kkrauses fix does work. I have mine all the way out so that may make a difference too but mine have no real signs of wear since I fixed them.

Tight what hole r you running strap in ?
I had my straps all the way out, stock position I believe when I bought the sled, but last fall I pulled it up one hole. The thought was, by raising the skid up one hole that might help slow down the hyfax wear in the front where it curves. But that seemed to make the strap looser on the top shaft, easier to rotate & make problems for me.
What are your thought on which hole the strap should be in?
Thanks

There is no wrong or right answer to where the strap should be. It's rider preference. The tighter, the less transfer you'll have and more ski pressure. Good for the trail riders. Also going tighter should keep the strap tighter so I'm not sure why yours would be loser? I noticed the strap on mine that is torn was bending towards the front of the sled and the left side was to the rear with considerable less wear. Seems that doubling them like others have done and having them bend towards the rear would be a great help.

It is rider preference on strap tightness.
I run my strap 1 hole tighter than full stiff (drilled a hole) transfer rods set at min transfer and JRE spindles. this setup turns the Nytro into one of the fastest trail sleds you will ever ride. My 2011 XTX still has original straps and they are in good shape at end of this season, 5k on sled.

Last edited:
My straps did get tighter when I pulled it up one hole, but when I did this it moved the top bolt location down and allowed more freeplay (bigger loop) between the bolt & shaft. Before the top bolt was closer to the top shaft, & I think this made the strap rotate less on the top shaft.
I think I will go back to stock location for now and try the double strap fix & adjust later if I don't like the handling.

thats strange. The loop size should never change. The only difference should be is a little longer strap past the bolt depending on how many holes you go tight. The holes are drilled to be the same diameter around the shaft no matter what hole you use. Are you no one changed the straps before or made their own?

When you put the new strap in, bend the bottom of the strap towards the back of the sled and let them sit like that for a few days before you ride , it works that's what I did. I have had good luck with it .the strap will take form and stay that way .

Back