• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Limiter straps torn

After looking at this again I see what you guys are talking about with the track tearing the straps. I think Yamaha will probably have a bulletin on this after they get sick of replacing straps. A simple fix would be a bracket to remount it further from the lugs on the track.

I'd try a rectangular washer the same width as the strap – with a generous radius where it makes contact. This would help distribute the load over a greater area. You can see that the when the strap is stressed it works against the leading edge of the round washer.

Another option would be to use larger round washers but bend the leading edge up slightly so it is less likely to cut into the straps.

I believe the washer isn't the culprit. It is the lugs chewing on the strap when the suspension compresses. I made my own straps tonight and doubled it up to beef it up. I took a 30 mile hard ride jumping everything I could and so far so good. I will keep you updated.

Here's a rough drawing of what I'm thinking. Horizontal lines are the cross shaft, the Blue verticals are the current Limiter strap positions, the Red Lines are the proposed, the square in the middle would be the double backer or plate that would pull the two straps togather and keep them away from the cogs. Again there may be other ways to do this I'm just thinking that my Apex had 7,000 miles and not one limiter strap issue, there are obvious differences but the one that sticks out in my mind is that the limiter is one wider strap in the center of the shaft.

Attachments

• Limiter Strap.jpg
    Limiter Strap.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 184
That looks like a really awesome idea! Last night I made 2 new straps and added another strap to hopefully make it more rigid and not want to fold over in the lugs so easily. If this fails I will definetly try your idea. i'm sure Yamaha will deny there is a problem. Thanks again for the great idea.

Attachments

• strap.JPG
    strap.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,156
There are lots of XTX owners frequenting this site. So far I've counted two reports of limiter failure. I dropped statistics in college so I'm no expert but I'm not sure two occurrences constitutes a design flaw. It seems to me that if you're convinced the strap edges are wearing on the lugs you could simply make the straps narrower.

I'll have my skid out on Monday and will check the limiters closely through full travel. I'll snap some pics.

SB

How many guys actually check there limiter straps? I have been riding yamaha's for 26 years and never had a strap problem on any, now 2 broken straps in 300 miles. Must be just my sled was designed wrong. Sorry for the post.

I've checked them on both of my XTXs. No problems. I can't deny that you're having a problem, but I equally can't accept that Yamaha has a serious flaw based on the failure census. It is interesting. Have you removed your skid to try to better understand what's happening?

Its about -20F in my trailer and its still dark here so I'm not very motivated to verify this right now, but it seems to me that when I reduced my limiters by loading the front arm the limiters deflected aft, not forward. If mine deflect aft there's no way they'll ever contact the track. I'll check later.
SB

Well I hope you don't have the issue. I don't want to have to pull my skid, thats why a bought a new sled with a warranty. My dealer has a call into Yamaha (Whatever that means) I posted this to keep fellow yamaha riders aware. If one breaks no one would even know till both do if they don't check them. It's like the handwarmer issue, I rode with 2 XTX's the other night and they said their's worked fine I grabbed them and they were luke warm. There are hundreds on this forum that disagree including me. Yamaha denied there was a problem so I fixed that myself. Most guys just accept what they buy. I look for solutions like the good one LJ 452 gave me to keep me riding and not pulling my skid every weekend. Ride safe and check those limiter straps guys!

Stewartb,

If you think about your front skid compressing every time you are hitting large bumps the slack in the straps is what is going to be caught on the lugs. As this happens it causes a spinning action to the strap on the shaft. My strap looks like it was torn from the washers but only because it is getting twisted on the shaft. The rubber material on the shaft between the rails that the straps connect to is also starting to come off.

I braved the ice box that IS my trailer. Here's the deal. Two XTXs sitting side-by-side, both with the limiters shortened by one position. The white sled has slack in both straps with no load and both straps are deflected aft. When I lay across the seat to load the skid the deflection increases...aft. One strap freely moves on the lower rod while the other does not. There is no sign of any abrasion or fraying top or bottom. The blue sled's limiters do not have any slack and are straight as an arrow. When loaded the limiters deflect aft. There is no sign of abrasion at top or bottom. The top loops over the rod have minor and equal cord fraying on both straps. I looked closely and see no evidence of any contact. It appears the frays are the result of a bias cord being cut at the strap's edge and the fraying looks exactly as I'd expect. The frays are at the point of contact between strap and rod in a place where contact with the track would be virtually impossible. There is no strap damage to be found elsewhere.

It's odd that one sled extends to the limit while the other doesn't, but not odd enough to hang around on the floor of a -20* trailer to figure it out!

Stewart

Picked up sled at dealer this evening and after a 4-mile test rideand we have another strap beginning to tear. I suggest all XTX owners to take a closer look at their straps to see if you are showing any wear. We compared my sled to 2 other sleds at the dealer and they appear that they will have the same problem. Dealer took pics and sent them on to Yamaha to see what they say.

Have the dealer order you and extra strap or 10 so you don't have any downtime. Or do what I did. I went to Farm and Fleet and picked up a 2 foot by 8" piece of bailer belt and made my own. It is the same material and cuts nice with a razor knife. To make the holes use a track stud hole cutter, worked slicker than snot. Hope this helps. But like Stewartb said it looks like you and me are the only ones with this problem :) We must have got the Lemons!

Back