• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yet Another Ski Post

1Kurgan1

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 ZR 9000 Limited
Well, I have spent many many hours lurking here reading through thread upon thread of ski posts, so time to make an account and a first post. I am an AC rider, but honestly, this seems to be the greatest source of information for these sleds. I have gone through FB groups, Arctic Chat, etc.

I have a 17' ZR9000 129", stock ski's, Cobra 1.352" w/studs. The Cobra eats, I had the sled buried up past my waist (I'm 6' 2") and it stood right up and walked out of that. But the reason I knew the snow was that deep and why it was buried is because of the ski doing it's best submarine impression.

Now I mostly ride trails, but I of course like to play in the powder, and I have a large field, as do my friends as we are country boys, and we ride large lakes where people like to take a break from trail riding and enjoy the powder. But I have come to absolutely fear it. If it's a straight shot, I have no trust issues with the Cobra, even with shorter lug that is far more than what is required around here. My issue is if I give it any sort of angle, I just cannot stop the inside ski from going down at an uncontrollable rate and tipping me off the sled (even if I am on the opposite running board and giving it counter steer).

I have tried checking other resources for recommendations, even the 998 FB groups and a majority of the answers are "buy a 2 stroke lul". I'm thinking a ski with some more float probably fixes it up. I know it won't behave the same as a 2 stroke, but a 2 stroke won't have this power, we all have to give up on something. I see a lot of love for the Pilot 6.9's, Curve XS, and some for the Power Hound 8's, yet nothing on the C&A Pro MTX's.

But there is two different types of ski's for this sort of riding, floatation and ones that cut in. Some mountain riders in the same threads will be talking about loving or hating a ski. One loves it for floatation, the other hates it because it's hard to dig in and side hill with. Being that the issue I'm having is cutting in and down too quickly I'm just looking for float. And in my mind, the largest surface area wins. That being said, Something like Simmons Gen 2 at 10" are overkill.

It seems like the C&A Pro MTX at 8" wide and 45" long might give the most float (but I can find almost not testimonials on this ski). The Powder Hound 8 seems like a decent plan (the looks unfortunately are a bit more classic sled to me), Curve XS seem popular, but I am worried these may cut in too much with the narrow center and I hear they like to follow old tracks on trail. Then the Doo 6.9 Pilots, huge thread on this, seems like great reviews, unique carbide locations. My only issue is, being so afraid of powder, do these have enough surface area (I cannot find the length of the ski)? Or is the physically wider/longer MTX or Powder Hound 8 the safer choice?

Sorry for the long winded posts, but it seems this is the most informed place for these sleds and as Yamaha has only made 4 strokes for years now also the most open minded in trying to improve what we have.

Last edited:

Pilot 6.9 hands down. The number is actually the width IRC, so 6.9 inches. They float well and rail corners. No brainer to go with them, although they are getting hard to find as they have been replaced by the newer version which I have no experience on (DS I believe).
So yes, they float very well and will help stay on top.

Pilot 6.9 hands down. The number is actually the width IRC, so 6.9 inches. They float well and rail corners. No brainer to go with them, although they are getting hard to find as they have been replaced by the newer version which I have no experience on (DS I believe).
So yes, they float very well and will help stay on top.
The Pilot 6.9's appear to be a bit cheaper of an option. I see them out there new for $110 a piece right now (Curves are $119 a piece for comparison).

I'm just wondering, of the 4 ski's I listed, the Pilots may have the least surface area (Curve's might be less with their non-traditional narrow center design). The C&A at 8" x 45", the PH8 are 8" x 42.5", the Pilot 6.9 are 6.9" x (I can't find their length). I would imagine 40-42 on the length, so I would think a bit less surface area. I see a lot of talk about how good they are on trail, but going through every page of that big thread and searching for "floatation" and "powder" the consensus is better than the Tuners, but I would hope so by a long shot. So I'm just curious what else is comparable as far as floatation.

Last edited:
this might sound funny or left field, but do you still have the stock center spring? I have experienced something like what you are describing, but i have the 146 2" paddle track. Changing the center spring allowed me to transfer the weight quicker and "pop" the front end on top of the snow. Two different skids/tracks/lengths, but if you change skiis and still doesnt help, maybe look at a stingray spring and see if that helps you out. and just thinking about it, maybe your limit straps are a bit too tight? Unfortunately changing one thing will definitely effect another thing, trial and error and figuring out what you are willing to live with will be your new normal.....And if anybody says otherwise, there are alot of older 129ish length tracks on sleds with +2" paddles running around here doing the same mix of riding you like to do.

My current issue i am trying to work out is that my exhaust side ski seems to be diving into the snow and gets me hung up if i am not quick enough to notice it. Currently looking at loosing some weight on that side and then maybe play with the spring tensions to see if i can make it float a bit better.

the curve xs with a shim at the rear works pretty dang good. they float well off trail and carve pretty good in the powder. the only reason i do not use them is the keel is not agressive enough for how i trail ride as they push a bit in the normal loose conditions we have here but they where awsome on firm trails as i have run a set for years.

SLP Mohawks will keep that tank from diving nose first, I'm fully studded and setup for trail riding so my sled is not great for powder but when I go in it's not the nose that gets buried!

and they corner like they are on rails with the Ace runners

SLP Mohawk skis are a "crossover" type ski designed to work both trail and off trail.
This is the only ski I have tried on the sidewinder besides the stock ski and it works for me.

this might sound funny or left field, but do you still have the stock center spring? I have experienced something like what you are describing, but i have the 146 2" paddle track. Changing the center spring allowed me to transfer the weight quicker and "pop" the front end on top of the snow. Two different skids/tracks/lengths, but if you change skiis and still doesnt help, maybe look at a stingray spring and see if that helps you out. and just thinking about it, maybe your limit straps are a bit too tight? Unfortunately changing one thing will definitely effect another thing, trial and error and figuring out what you are willing to live with will be your new normal.....And if anybody says otherwise, there are alot of older 129ish length tracks on sleds with +2" paddles running around here doing the same mix of riding you like to do.
To my knowledge the center spring is stock. I know the front springs were swapped out of 19' Tcat springs. I never thought about the center shock spring effecting the front end, but I suppose if the skid doesn't get up on top of it that could cause it.

My straps are probably too tight for the type of riding that I do. I plan to let them out a bit, it barely lifts a ski currently, but I got it mid winter, so I just rode it as is. More paddle has been a thought too, but the Cobra honestly is probably all I need and I like to have the top end there too. As you said, everything is a compromise, it's really refreshing to talk to people that understand this.

the curve xs with a shim at the rear works pretty dang good. they float well off trail and carve pretty good in the powder. the only reason i do not use them is the keel is not agressive enough for how i trail ride as they push a bit in the normal loose conditions we have here but they where awsome on firm trails as i have run a set for years.
That is also another reason the Curves have kind of been at the back of my list. I mean I know that everything is a compromise, but it sounds like some other options with as much floatation don't have the pushing issue.

SLP Mohawks will keep that tank from diving nose first, I'm fully studded and setup for trail riding so my sled is not great for powder but when I go in it's not the nose that gets buried!

and they corner like they are on rails with the Ace runners
I forgot about those, I didn't realize those were 7.5" wide. I'll have to take a look at those. How you describe your sled is what I'm looking for. If the sled doesn't nose tank then that is good enough for me, I don't plan to go to the mountains, I just want to be able to enjoy some fresh snow on flat land.

I'm on pilot 6.9 and love them . Had curve with shapers then tried trackers and just didn't like them. And the pilots are half the weight of curve if unsprung weight means anything to you. They ride right up on top. Ran across a big lake last year in 2ft fresh snow and they pop right up on top and the old yamaha loops fit on them.

Best ski I used on the sidewinder is the cat proclimb G2 7” wide. I tried yamaha mtns and mohawks and the stryke ski and didnt care for any of them. Atthe time we had a riot 800 so I removed the G2 ski from them and tried them on the winder with sniper dually bars. They do not dart and the deep keel keeps them from pushing in the loose. They turn easy as well. I immediately ordered a set of black ones from country cat. They are available in a kit with all mounting hardware and its a direct easy swap. Great ski for everything.

Back