• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Your all time Favorite Sled?

We are in the era of the four-stroke triple turbo sleds with way more fun and way more muscle!

I totally agree with the first part of your statement, but in my humble opinion the "fun" factor of the old two stroke triple-triple sleds cannot be replaced by a modern four stroke triple turbo sled. I have both.

It's a hoot to fire up my tuned 2021 SRX and go for full day of burning up the trails and lakes on the latest and greatest sled technology being offered and still feel great at the end of the day and chomping at the bit anticipating doing it all over again tomorrow. It's what we live for.

But nothing will ever replace the joy of suiting up and going for a full days burn on the old triple-triple 2002 SRX. Enjoying the sweet smell of Klotz and at the end of the day wanting to do it all over again the next day on a sled that's 20 years old, pure Yamaha, and that showcases the best of Yamaha's 2-stroke technology.

SRXAvatar.JPG

RetroSRX8-2.JPG

Last edited:

All time fav, was definelty the late 80's Yamaha phazer/exciter where Yami put the headlight mounted on the handlebar set up much like modern quads. A style never been done again. Was my first time seeing a snowmobile, and they had in in a tv show way back when. as a kid, that's what got me addicted.

But nothing will ever replace the feeling of firing up my old 2002 SRX with a few tweaks and going for a full days ride and still feeling the same way as riding the newer SRX, only smelling like the sweet smell of Klotz at the end of the day with a 20 year old sled that showcases the best of Yamaha's 2-stroke technology.

View attachment 162398
I was wondering how you would rate the 02 SRX! I loved that build! I bet it was awesome!

I totally agree with the first part of your statement, but in my humble opinion the "fun" factor of the old two stroke triple-triple sleds cannot be replaced by a modern four stroke triple turbo sled. I have both.

It's a hoot to fire up my tuned 2021 SRX and go for full day of burning up the trails and lakes on the latest and greatest sled technology being offered and still feel great at the end of the day and chomping at the bit anticipating doing it all over again tomorrow. It's what we live for.

But nothing will ever replace the feeling of firing up my old 2002 SRX with a few tweaks and going for a full days ride and still feeling the same way as riding the newer SRX, only smelling like the sweet smell of Klotz at the end of the day with a 20 year old sled that showcases the best of Yamaha's 2-stroke technology.

View attachment 162397

View attachment 162398
My Rtx nytro was more fun than my sidewinder until I put the Hurricane tunes and add ons in it. The sidewinder just didn't have the hit coming off the corners in stock form. Now its completely different story. Being that you left yours stock I can see where you are coming from.
Modded sidewinders are just a blast to ride.

View attachment 162397

View attachment 162398
Don I wonder how much is ‘the age and stage of life’ we were at that time. It was so cool and fun to think of how far we had come from the seeming 2 inch travel 20 + HP sleds of the 60s /70s when I/we started. I had so much fun making it up hills, breaking trails ripping across lakes Yet in reality our new sleds with GREAT Suspension big HP from 130 to >200 are “better’ in every way.

But like you I look on those days with JOY and fond memories of great fun.

But if I wanted to ride 200+ miles today I would prefer to ride the ‘modern’ sled. Maybe after 5 miles of ripping and railing on the 2Stroke triple. :)

Last edited:
My first SideWinder. Had a great time building this one.

1632712167312.png

I bought this from RockerDan he built an amazing sled.We have added a few things. It is an absolute beast that dominates the big trails of northern Aroostook County Maine

Attachments

• A3187CB0-EF3B-4E79-AEC2-346DE24442B5.jpeg
    A3187CB0-EF3B-4E79-AEC2-346DE24442B5.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 121
My First sled (and my kids first sled). My Attak sounds nice but my old 700 redhead is still my favorite.
With a full 6" -8" susp travel this thing railed thru the corners like a slot car. To bad my knees and back couldn't keep up with it. Sold it a few years after I got my 02 Viper. Modded that one to no end then sold after I bought the Attak.
This SX is the reason why I'm on TY. It ingested the mag side bearing and I had no idea on how to fix it.
Did a Google search which brought me to TY. Joined up for free and many members helped me with parts and info to get it running again. Found the 02 Viper on the forums during this time as well. Thats when I decided to become a Lifetime Member. Wanted to give back to an organization that helped me sooo much. Winning the head porting that year contest helped my decision as well. ;)
P1000669 - Copy.JPG

Right now, my favorite is my old 2006 700 Poo Fusion. I know alot of guys hated the sleds but the machine would take almost any 2 stroke in a race after I had it set up. Until blowing the motor up in it never gave me one lick of trouble. Once I have the bugs worked out of the sidewinder, that has a far larger fun factor. I just hope I don't have to rebuild the darn thing 3 times again this year....

NGzfSaL.jpg

All time favorite sled was a 2014 Yamaha Apex SE. That was the most bulletproof sled I have ever owned. My Sidewinder comes in as second favorite.

My 2005 Vector. Since I put an M10 in it in the summer of 2005, it's been pure joy! I do like the 1049 FI motor though!

78 Skidoo Blizzard 6500+ is still that one sled I wish we never sold. It had the looks, sound, and speed. Twin pipes from the factory, just a standout sled for the time.
When the Apex arrived on the scene, I REALLY wanted one, but was a Cat fanatic and held off. Years later I switch to Yamaha and bought a Nytro and Apex GT. Barely rode the Apex at all, and keep it for a backup/guest sled. It’s pretty and fast, but not a great riding sled for bumps.

Back