• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZR800 vs. RX-WARRIOR ........RESULTS!!

welterracer

TY 4 Stroke God
Well i finally got to ride with my buddy with his NEW 03 zr800.. he has already logged on over 3500 miles on it...

We rode over 200 miles in the last two days near my house,, pretty good conditions...

We finally lined em up on a nice streach of groomed, well packed , flat , field!!

we had my other buddy flag us and he got the quicker reaction time.. but it only took 40 feet for me to real him in and pull about 3 sled lenghts ahead ,,, we only went up to about 90mph... He claims he was not loosing any more length after i got ahead of him...

Then later we switched sleds... Man does my sled suck!! I thought it really handled great but it pushes badly and skis will not bite in the corners... I didnt enen have to try to ride the ZR800 it takes corners at high speed with ease.. much like my old viper....I had forgoten how great the viper handled...

WHen your sittin on the zr it feels like your on a FOOT think pillow..

DId i mention his shocks are all blown and it still rode and handled AWSOME!!

When i come into a corner on my sled,,I lean with all i got and it pushes into the corner..... And no matter how lightly i touch the throttle it pulls the skis off the ground making matters worse...

WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESES SLEDS!! They ride great but Just dont handle...WELL MINE ATLEAST!!

Im not even studded yet but had installed the stage two clutch kit .. So mine wasnt stock but my buddys sled was stock except for the 144 studs he had...

I had also pulled up the limiter straps up 3/4 inch over stock.. I think they need to be alot tighter..

First thing my buddy said to me after riding my sled was: it rides Great... But man that seat SUCKS!! And i had to agree... His seat on the zr is SOFT!!!

After riding his sled.. its tempting to go back to cat... EFI, great ride, Awsome handling..

He had 6300 miles on his 02 zr800 when it finally cooked a piston. and now has 3500 on his 03 without a single issue!!

Welter..my best bud has a 02 zr 800 efi clutched with 1.25 & 144 studs. That is me taking a piss on it. The N-V-H(noise,vibration,harshness) is horrible. He has to take his coupler blocks out of the skid to get traction then it rides like crap & can,t turn & when he puts couplers back in it can,t hook up. It is a definate snow harley & when i ride it I can,t get off it soon enuff. For trails the warrior ain,t the answer..shoulda waited & got the 05 RX-1..or even the 04 RX shortie...big diff in tight & twisties!

Turk said:
Welter..my best bud has a 02 zr 800 efi clutched with 1.25 & 144 studs. That is me taking a piss on it. The N-V-H(noise,vibration,harshness) is horrible. He has to take his coupler blocks out of the skid to get traction then it rides like crap & can,t turn & when he puts couplers back in it can,t hook up. It is a definate snow harley & when i ride it I can,t get off it soon enuff. For trails the warrior ain,t the answer..shoulda waited & got the 05 RX-1..or even the 04 RX shortie...big diff in tight & twisties!

You should ride my buddys .. ZR... i aint kidin when i say it handles as good if not better than a 02 viper i had... ANd rides every bit as good as my warrior!! It has a very noticable lower center of gravity...

The only thing he has done to is is 8 inch carbides and 144 studs in a 1 1/4 track...

It doesnt have the strait line stability of my sled but thats what you get when you get the 136 like i have...

Cornering is the downside to a 136", lets hope that in 05 Yamaha matches the great motor with a great suspension than we will have everything. Remember quite a few went to the Cat skid on the RX for this reason.

The Cat coupling is adjustable from minimal to maximum by rotatting the stop. Minimal maximum holeshot, maximum bad holeshot. Cat was the last to go coupling as their customers demanded holeshots. Without coupling you need experience on a Cat to handle properly.

I am still convinced in 05 the better tradeoff is the Monocoque suspension vs the longer track for most trail situations. Don't give up, remember I asked you to wait for the 05.

Jim

I forgot to add...

WHen we filled up with gas... the zr took 2 more gal. of gas.. than me..

Very happy with the gas milage im getting...

Now if i could get it to handle like my viper did.. :D

Welt, what is it with these guys I was just trying to give you a little background, yet I supported the YAMAHA and still get rapped. Do you thik I used too many big words for him to understand.

Remember also that the 05 RX1 will be about 50# lighter than the 04 Warrior. I honestly believe the 05 RX1 will be a transition to an all around high performance sled, for trail, lake and rough trails.

Now all I have to do is convince my doctor that this new suspension won't damage my bionic hips.

Jim

greenmachine said:
Welt, what is it with these guys I was just trying to give you a little background, yet I supported the YAMAHA and still get rapped. Do you thik I used too many big words for him to understand.

Remember also that the 05 RX1 will be about 50# lighter than the 04 Warrior. I honestly believe the 05 RX1 will be a transition to an all around high performance sled, for trail, lake and rough trails.

Now all I have to do is convince my doctor that this new suspension won't damage my bionic hips.

Jim

Jim i think he was talking to me..Well anyway!!

Yes it will be 50 lbs lighter!! But reverse is almost a necesity on these sleds..and i must say i do love the reverse..

All right guys, I'm sorry.

Welt: After running both sleds back to back, do you have ideas on how to apply what you learned about the differences between the two sleds to the RXW ?

G Man said:
All right guys, I'm sorry.

Welt: After running both sleds back to back, do you have ideas on how to apply what you learned about the differences between the two sleds to the RXW ?

Not really.. Thats why im asking for help!!

THe rx has a high center of gravity..Im not sure i can make it handle as good.. or even close.. But i am willing to try!!

Welt
O.K. Think about each ride on both sleds. What would you consider the most obvious difference in the way yours handled compared to your friends ? "Handled" is a very general term. But I mean the main thing you feel you are fighting while pushing hard.

Welt, no offense but I have had it hearing you complain about "handling"! :lol: Bolt up some mu#$a #$*#in aftermarket ski's and ride. For cryin' out loud, I'm about to rip off my Powder Pro's, throw them on your stupid warrior and tape your throttle wide open with you on it!! :D Wait, you don't need tape... :shock:

Back