• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 rx-1 backfires at 3k

yamaha-rider

Extreme
ok so i have searched and i think i know what it is but just checking but any how just bought a 03 rx1 i guess from what i was told is that the guy had to put a new slide in one of the carbs now it idles reallu low and from what he says dosent sound right but if you turn the choke on just a little bit it runs fine so my question is the carbs still dirty or does the carbs have to be sinked i think it might be one of the two just thought i would get some experts edvice thanks

If you have to keep the "choke" open a little for it to idle and run correctly then the pilot jets are clogged and it needs the extra fuel. Carbs out of sync will not cause this issue, it would cause a rough idle, poor acceleration, and mix-matched spark plug colors.

The pilot jets are very small on these sleds and clog easy, the crap corn-based ethanol fuel does not help either. It only takes a few months for it to grow algae and clog up small orifices.

ya the plugs are burning evenly i put new ones in them saterday night and it runs great just poor idle and from what the guy says is that it just dont sound right at idle so i was thinking that there might have been a little bit of some thing that they didnt see when they put it back together so i guess i will tear them apart and clean them my self

If the jets are clogged again even after a recent cleaning then you might have some stuff in the tank that keeps clogging them. You might want to think about removing the tank so you can clean it out thoroughly and then add some inline fuel filters.

ya i was thinking bout getting some in line filters, it really dont madder where i put them just as long as it before the carbs but after the tank right,and i can probley buy some of those and and auto parts store right

I don't see how it would cause any problems but have not tried it yet. I plan on putting some ATV-style in-line fuel filters right after the fuel pumps. I doubt this will cause any problems with fuel pressure or flow.

Something like this that is cheap and easy enough to change every year. I run one on my 4-stroke carbureted Kawasaki Mojave 250 and have not had to clean the carbs yet, I just change it yearly. I get them at my local NAPA for $4.

Here are some tips on carb cleaning. Also, have you tried to ajust the idle up to slightly over 1500 RPM?

Attachments

• Carb Cleaning Tips and Procedure.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 250
  • Rx-1 Carb Exploded View Drawing.pdf
    68.5 KB · Views: 243
Set your idle to slightly over 1500 RPM. It elimates a lot of the clutch and reduction gear rattle. If the reduction gear and clutch still rattles at 1500+ RPM, the sled may need to have the carbs synced too.

But, if the idle does not recover quickly after blipping the throttle, then the Pilot Jets are probably dirty. There is no way around cleaning the carbs almost every year. So, ... time to roll up the shirt sleaves and dig into the carb cleaning Biz. Once you have done it a couple times, it is a snap. Follow the tips and procedure that was proviously attached and you'll get through it.

like i said up above it runs great just idels like crap and the plugs are burning evenly so i am leaning towareds that they have to be cleaned .

as the throttle goes the rpm is so low that it kinda chokes it self and dies but if the "choke" is on just a little bit it runs like it should so i am also leaning on the carbs have junk in there also it has very little gas in it so i think a inline fuel filter and a tank cleaning is do to happin this weekend i will let you know what happins when i get it done i hope the 3rd times the charm

ok so i have set the idel at 1500 rpm and i have cleaned the carbs and also put in line fuel filters in, the back fireing has stopped it runs great but the idel comes and goes like i set it at 1500rpm and then it will jump to 2000rpm and sound great and i guess normal but then after a few min it would go back to 1500rpm and just dont sound right from what i am told the guy i bought it from had filters on it and now they are not so i am thinking one of two things do i just need to run the gas thats in the tank out and there aint much in there or is it something else or is the guy i bought it off of thinking of what it sounded like with filters on it

If your idle is not returning back to where it is set quickly an consistently, a Pilot Jet is still plugged or the fuel screw is off.

Did you follow my tips and Procedure for Carb Cleaning? I attached them

After soaking them in carb cleaner, I rod the Pilot Jets out with a bristle off a wire brush. The Fuel Screws are set to two turns out from the bottom. I'll bet if you take the Pilots Jets out you will find one that is still dirty or got re-dirtied because of the crappy fuel you have in the fuel system.

I would get rid of that old fuel and fill up with fresh fuel. Flush the new fuel through the pump and hoses. Then re-clean the carbs.

Attachments

• Carb Cleaning Tips and Procedure.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 169
  • Rx-1 Carb Exploded View Drawing.pdf
    68.5 KB · Views: 158
ok i cleaned the carbs and "rodded" them out i mean the thing runs fine but i guess just sounds diffrent but when the rpms are around 2k it sounds like it is sapose to and i am going buy what the sound is sapose to sound like buy going off of what the guy that i bought it off of cause this is my first rx-1 so i dont know what it is sapose to sound like and also i ran about 50 miles on it today and was awsome ran the old gas out and had some fresh gas in it as well the guy i bout it off of thinks that the carbs need to be sinked,also checked the plugs and once again burnning perfect

Back