• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 RX-1 compared to 05

LB Are you married to that ole Blue horse or something?

I like my '04 a lot. But I would divorce her in a second for a good shot at a second production year long tracked Nytro. :)

Nytro is a different animal. Anything RX from 03 to 08 is NOT substantially different, so there's no reason to waste money on it. The problem here is that certain minor or RARE issues are being blown out of proportion.

The person who started the thread was asking if it was worthwhile to upgrade to an 05 from an 03 and it is very definitely NOT. His engine does NOT need to be rebuilt. 05 still needs the swaybar. Handling upgrades can be done for under $200. If he wants a better riding suspension, a used aftermarket skid THAT RIDES BETTER than the mono can be had for less than the difference to get an 05.

LazyBastard said:
Nytro is a different animal. Anything RX from 03 to 08 is NOT substantially different, so there's no reason to waste money on it. The problem here is that certain minor or RARE issues are being blown out of proportion.

The frame isn't different between 03-08 but every other sub system is. Now, I agree since he already owns an 03 and isn't adverse to modding it he should keep it (for all the reasons you mentioned)...but the new sleds are so far beyond the 03 RX you kidding yourself saying there's no difference. The prices on used sleds are so close between the RX and Apex's you'd be foolish to think you could buy an 03 and give it the ride, handling and ergo's an Apex. The same holds true for a guying deciding to buy on 03 or 05 RX. There's not enough difference in the used price not to buy the more up to date sled.

I have about $4600 invested in an 03 I modded up for my daughter. Changes included are wide front end with springs, bar, links... Bender mono...percision skis...articulating riser...stuffed seat. We have had it 2 seasons.

Are there Apex's out there for that kind of money?

RedRX1 said:
I have about $4600 invested in an 03 I modded up for my daughter. Changes included are wide front end with springs, bar, links... Bender mono...percision skis...articulating riser...stuffed seat. We have had it 2 seasons.

Are there Apex's out there for that kind of money?

Ya...there are some good deals on RX's out there (which is why I bought one). I bought my 05 2 years old and it was a sweet deal and I absolutely love it...but would I buy it today? No, I'd buy an Apex..because for the same price as my 05 I can now get an apex. I could buy a cheap 03 and mod it but my point is for about the same money you get newer sleds that don't NEED the mods. I'm not trying to offend anyone..just kinda defending my position on this.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=55077

I have had both the 03 and an 05 and think you would be wasting your money dropping it into an 03.I travel with 2 other 03 sleds and there machines are nowhere to be seen when I go through a rough section plus they dont feel anywhere as firm on the trail.Also and this may be controversial but I found a sizeable difference in the performance of the 05 over the 03.just my opinion!

WOW!! Looks like about a 50/50 split on this! I put new dual carbides on this weekend and was stunned at the difference that made. I will have to think about this.....

My old 03 has been modded more than anyones. I stole it in Nov. 04 for 4600 w/400 miles on it. Hand warmers, BFD. I have Ohlins all around and a M10. Wide front end kit, ran almost every ski. Stretched to a 136. ECP, clutched and geared. I have only ridden one mono shock, no better than my M10. I keep thinking about a new sled, but I can't come up with one good reason. By the way, never burned a drop except when towing in another sled. I do most of my own wrench turning and love it. My sled actually runs harder and stronger now than when I bought it. 6400 miles.

I vote getting the 05, but if you are going to go there get an apex.. you wont be dissapointed..

anyone who says there isnt a huge difference between a RX and a Apex hasnt rident them both side by side.. TWO completely different animals.. they might have the same frame, but the A-arms, spindles, rear suspensions, seating postions, and handle bars are completely different..

I cringe every time i ride my old Rx-warrior.. But my brother likes it.. LOL

Weltracer,

Of course there is a difference, but they are also double the price. I used to buy sleds every year, then I realized I was the test pilot! And I got sick of donating the $$ on trade or selling outright.

My Rx1's are very similar to the Apex (Yes I've rode both side by side). The Apex is nicer, but not worth the investment for me especially with the snow we are not having in my area. I was one of the guys that bought in 05...If I'd only waited 1 year.

I have an Apex seat, bars articulated up & forward, wide front and all the upgrades, doo skis. handles flatter than an Apex but heavier in the front end. That may not be true, I have my strap shorter than he did. The 08 Vector, is way nicer to ride, the front feels light and easier to steer.

I was out tonight with a cat sno pro, and a rev MXZ Adrenilin, no problems racing through the twisties, but I have to work harder due to the weight. With my circumstances, I'm happy to keep the RX1 a couple of years

welterracer said:
I vote getting the 05, but if you are going to go there get an apex.. you wont be dissapointed..

anyone who says there isnt a huge difference between a RX and a Apex hasnt rident them both side by side.. TWO completely different animals.. they might have the same frame, but the A-arms, spindles, rear suspensions, seating postions, and handle bars are completely different..

I cringe every time i ride my old Rx-warrior.. But my brother likes it.. LOL

My answers to your post Welt. Wide front end kit, M10, 2" riser articulating, 05 seat. I am supposed to ride an Attak in a couple of weeks. I am really looking forward to it, to FEEL the difference my self. Both of my old sleds work and run damn near perfect, I can't find any reason to buy new ones. Maybe I will FEEL diffenrent after riding the attak

Well ya, if you dump 1-2 thousand dollars into the sled it will ride and handle as good or better than an apex, but then again the resale isnt as good either, becaust it is no longer stock and its also older..

I had both an 03 and an 05. I say keep the 03 and save your money until you are able to get a Apex. Jump right past another RX-1 to the Apex because that is where you will end up anyways.

Back