• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 RX-1 Mountain for trail riding?

edgerider

Veteran
Hey guys. I just came across on a good deal on an 03 RX-1 Mountain with 1000 miles on it. How would this machine perform for strictly trail riding? I do 90% trail riding compared to off trail, none of which is in the mountains. Also, does anyone have studs on this machine? I love studs and wouldn't ride with out them. Just wondering if this would envolve a new track. Thanks for the help guys.

I have the 03 mountain that I use to trail ride, its not the greatest on the trails but its ok, I plan on widening the front end, the fist thing I did was take the 151x2" track out for a 151x1.25 track(yamaha paid for it :) ) Its a little tippy in the corners but you get use to that.

I ride my 03 RX1 Mountain on the trails a lot. I also do a fair amount of boondocking and at least 1 week a year in the mountains. As far as I'm concerned, this is a better trail machine than a mountain sled, other than the over heating problems. I installed a 1 1/4 inch Ripsaw track with 9 tooth drivers. Also installed Woodys Mega Bite 1.32 studs, along with the rear heat exchanger and ice scratchers. (no more overheating problems) I like the ride, and the handling on trails and 1 to 2 feet of snow. In deep powder the thing is a "pig", I know some of it is my experiance, plus the stock ski's. I like the fuel economy 16-18 mpg, the power and the looks. Plus it was the 1st 4 stroke high performance motor on the market. :4STroke:

I ride mine on trails and snow covered lakes all the time. I still have the 2" track on it and haven't had any desire to change it, due to the mostly untracked snow we ride it up here. I know what you mean about studs...when I was riding a VMax I had a studded track and loved it, and I'm thinking about studding the girlfriend's 'Cat as well, but the weight of the RX1 keeps the hind end where I want it.

Oh yeah, buy the damned thing!

The first thing to do is loosen the front shocks to the loosest setting Yamha recommends. I know it doesn't make sense but it makes the sled far less tippy.

Make sure you at least have the longer sway bar links for the stock 10mm sway bar ( I have a set if you need them). The 04s came with the longer links. Even better, I went to an 11mm sway bar with the longer links. To ride in the powder I just unhook one side of the sway bar and sled works much better off trail.
They make 12 and 13mm sway bars also for trail applications only.

I went with the Holz chrome moly 41" front A arms. I think it's one of the best things I have done for my sled. It absolutely rails on the trails now and works great with the stock front shocks. It save 6-7 pounds off the front of the sled to boot.

Another thing you can do is to put the A arms (and shocks) from a RX-1 short track on your mountain sled. Then you'd have one railing mountian sled.

Simmons skis help too. They essentially widen your ski stance because the outside skags are several inches outside of your ski spindle.

These are just some ideas you might try. You can use all or some of them. Check the classifieds and E bay for the parts you need. You can find them for pennys on the dollar.

Good luck

Frosty

There is a guy on here that goes by Kmer that has an 03 Mountain that he rides on the rails in northern Ontario. Like the other guys said, he also removed the 2" track and installed a 1.25" ripsaw. A 1.25" track is easier on your hyfax when you mostly ride trails. He also installed a set of C&A's to widen the front end. Simmons would also work. Either way, you need a set of aftermarket skis that widen the sled's ski stance because the 03's were a little tippy.

I have ridden behind Kmer on several rides and even in the tight twistys, it is difficult to keep up with him. That is, the longer track doesn't prevent him from riding fast on tight trails.

You will hate the sled in stock form for trails.I had to spend a ton of money to "convert" it for trail riding.It comes geared and clutched for high altitude.It's narrow and tippy.Shocks and skis are crap.Once everything is fixed you will love it.If you don't mind wrenching and you have the cash.I wouldn't ride anything else!Best part is most of the updates and aftermarket stuff can be found on here cheap.

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 205
  • snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 75
Turns out the sled had some front end damage so I passed. With what you guys said I think I'll look for a RX-1 or RX-1 Warrior. They seem to be a better option.

Back