• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for opinions on Header for trail riding

I think the other question is this... If you do a search, you find that some people had issues with the headers cracking. Is that still the case? Also, can anyone show me the Tuned dyno sheets of just the header into SM, Header into PM muffler and Stock Manifold into PM Muffler to see the differences when utilizing a 240/270/300 Tune. That may help alot, as well as indicate if the header is durable or NOT. Thanks..

I saw that somebody has a ported exhaust manifold....but it is more expensive than some of the header options. I have not read anything about performance gains on that either

Mostly everyone in my circle runs a header. A sled with a header will pull a sled without a header everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Since it flows more, it makes more power on less octane...all wins.

Not as durable as stock manifold and puts more heat in that area under the tank. Not a big deal at 0 F, but riding in temps above 35F, it gets really, really hot in there. Hold your sled wot for a mile in 45 F weather, and really bad things can happen.

Depending on mileage and number of heat cycles, the flex bellow will crack and leak with time, and age. You'll know right away, as sled won't boost and won't make any power. Casual trail riding, it may last 3000 miles, but if you are constantly wide open and racing, the lifespan will be exponentially shorter.

The good news is, a new flex bellow can be found on eBay for about 60 bucks and re-welded on, which will reset the clock. Not a big deal, but the timing of this occurance could ruin a long saddlebag trip.

Mostly everyone in my circle runs a header. A sled with a header will pull a sled without a header everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Since it flows more, it makes more power on less octane...all wins.

Not as durable as stock manifold and puts more heat in that area under the tank. Not a big deal at 0 F, but riding in temps above 35F, it gets really, really hot in there. Hold your sled wot for a mile in 45 F weather, and really bad things can happen.

Depending on mileage and number of heat cycles, the flex bellow will crack and leak with time, and age. You'll know right away, as sled won't boost and won't make any power. Casual trail riding, it may last 3000 miles, but if you are constantly wide open and racing, the lifespan will be exponentially shorter.

The good news is, a new flex bellow can be found on eBay for about 60 bucks and re-welded on, which will reset the clock. Not a big deal, but the timing of this occurance could ruin a long saddlebag trip.
My new TD gen 1 header has the braided type flex joint. I wonder if it will last longer.
Screenshot_20211117-130352_Facebook.jpg

The research I did indicated that the braid bellows are less durable then the stainless flex bellows typically. Bens had some revisions of that bellow over the years as its been problematic for some. I know of a few that didnt make it ti 1000 miles but like anything else, testing different components may yield positive results. What doesnt work in one application may be the winning ticket in another.

Stock manifolds are known to crack as well

If the header is failure prone then I have no interest.....

I have run over 10k on the stock manifold with SM and TM tunes with no problems.
Have there been any stock manifold failures? There doesn't seem to be many here???? Maybe others have had problems?

Plenty have cracked at the bellows on the stock pipe. Back ordered last year.

Plenty have cracked at the bellows on the stock pipe. Back ordered last year.
Come to think of it there were a few guys I know last season that had a cracked the oem extension pipe.
I even shipped mine out to a member to get him out of a jam due to being backordered

Come to think of it there were a few guys I know last season that had a cracked the oem extension pipe.
I even shipped mine out to a member to get him out of a jam due to being backordered
It was a pleasure meeting you today Marc! The man, the myth, the legend! Haha. Guys like you are why this site is so great...:cool:

It was a pleasure meeting you today Marc! The man, the myth, the legend! Haha. Guys like you are why this site is so great...:cool:
Hahahah
It was definitely a pleasure to finally meet you.
Your sled looks bad #*$&@!!
And no I am no lining up with you:oops:..
I'll never live it down if I get blown away by a "wire puller"...hahahhaha
A few of my buddies (ty members)from Southern Ontario usually come up to ride with me, I'll give you a heads up and come join us!!

Back