• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 RX1 10,200 miles - oil burning fix

vtcabin

This sled started burning oil @ 3,000 miles. 80% of our riding is in Quebec. By the 7,000 mile mark, I was using 1 quart every 300 miles. By the time I was @ 9,500 miles, I was using 1 quart of oil every 250 miles and my gas milage was less then 10 miles per gallon. The HP was also lacking and 2005 Vector was taking me.

My dealer was willing to go the extra mile and put new rings. He said 1st Yamaha Motors wants you to run 3 bottles of 12 FL OZ of Yamaha Ring Free for the next 18 gallons of gas. 1 bootle every 6 gallons. After this treatment change oil/filter and test.

During the treatment you could start seeing the HP gains. You can smell the treatment. You do not want a sled parked behind while your sled is running unless you have a rag to wipe your friends sled.

Results: After 3 bottles of full treatment, I changed the oil/filter and put on 325 miles and my oil as not droped at oil. I also got 14.7 miles per gallon. The 03 RX-1 is now 12 miles per hour faster then Vector. This stuff works. When I ride in Quebec I will use 1 OZ/ 10 gallon for the constant treatment.

No offense but you didn't fix the problem. You only treated the symptom. The disease is still raging :o|
I recommend running seafoam on a regular basis but also believe Yamaha should help out the 03 buyers and provide a fix. Tell me any other 4-stroke on the market that has it's rings gunk up like in these engines. I could understand @ 100,000 miles, but this is rediculous :ORC

Vtcabin,

Thanks for this post. It is very good information for those who are experiencing oil consumption problems. My 03 RX1 consumes approx. 1 qt every 1800 miles so I will start using Yamaha's ring-free or Seafoam to start cleaning out the ring grooves.

I do agree that this treatment is not solving the real problem.

At $11.00 per bottle,sounds like a cheap fix. Now that you will be doing the preventive step at 1 ounce per 10 gallons you will get 11 fill up's per bottle.
Your story reminds me of my last visit to the Yamaha shop, the tech stated that Yamaha claimed that Ring Free would have cured the gumming of the rings on the RX-1 motor he was rebuilding on account of high oil usage. :Rockon:

Ring Free Fuel Additive goes in the gas tank,

If I had a choice, I would select Ring Free over a local dealer rebuilding a motor that turns @ 10,400 RPM.

the rx1 engine may not be running hot enofe . Too cool and a high preformace engine builds carbon in the rings . Most moderen engines run above 195* ones with temp gages have said they run around 160-170* this will cause carbon buildup . put a 165* thermostat in a new car or truck engine and see how fast it starts useing oil .
Tom-RX1

MightyWarrior said:
No offense but you didn't fix the problem. You only treated the symptom. The disease is still raging :o|
I recommend running seafoam on a regular basis but also believe Yamaha should help out the 03 buyers and provide a fix. Tell me any other 4-stroke on the market that has it's rings gunk up like in these engines. I could understand @ 100,000 miles, but this is rediculous :ORC

Well here we have someone with some sense WTF u guys thinking a $9500.00 sled and it uses oil This seafoam isnt for a new engine its for engines that have sat around or have alot of miles.This is a good tuck up our butts and patch to keep us quiet well i am not going to stay quiet and my friends who have this problem are pissed and wont either WHy did they change rings in 04 and 05 and pistons ih yeah to make a better thing better NOT they messed up and dont want to do anything about it BS Its insane how all these manufacturers not just sled company`s get away with selling these typoe of problems to the public and we get to eat it I am sorry i vent here but i have had enough of these oil post and everyone covering up for yamaha or any other brand cause they messed up

Well, someone finally hit the nail on the head. I was getting very close with my posts to this point, but since I have not been out yet, I could not offer any results. At first I was happy with the fix, but after someone posted that this is a band-aid to the problem, I have to agree, I will probably opt to have new rings put in at the end of the year. My dealer told me what Yamaha wanted me to do. I told them if this is what Yamaha wants me to do, then they can pay for the Ring-Free at $13.00 a bottle. That stuff is like gold. This is the last year on my warranty, I want them to make good. Now the question, does Yamaha bear any responsibility? Could it be our gas in the NE? I don't know, but to carry oil around with me when I am out riding is ridicules. The reason I bought a 4 stroke is to eliminate this task. I would like to know why it has taken so long to get to the bottom of this problem?

So what are you guys suggesting for someone with an 03 that only uses a little oil and has always used a little oil, before the rings had a chance to gum up. Should we not use ring free and see if it will use more in years to come ,or,use the treatment and try to keep it at a minimun for years to come. Keep in mind not all of us have an extended warrantee!!!

Great post guys!! This topic and all of Yamaha's excuses are coming to the forefront, Ring Free, High test gas, all cheap fixes. A recall on all 03 RX-1's would be the proper solution. But then again, I like to dream !!

How about changing the product name to Free Ring Free and giving it away!! :exc:

The question I would like feedback is, do you think Yamaha is responsible for this and should they make it right, or is this the nature of the beast because of the gas in the NE? I really am not sure. This is a problem, but is it Yamaha's problem. I would like to hear some feedback. Think about it, not from the standpoint of what you want, but from the standpoint of what is right or correct.

The 03`s all have used oil it is yamaha problem and there to fix .They may if we stay together that still have our 03`s that were bought new like mine and most of urs fix the problem but i doubt it i have a family friend who is a lawyer and says we would have a good case if most were documented .

It isnt from running high test fuel

I dont know exactly how to word things right but if i did and had others who would bring this up o there dealers and yamaha i would work them and put a claim in what do u guys think

Back