• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 rx1 no top end?????

nhmm700

Hey guys need some help. Inherited my dads 03 rx1 a few years ago. Has about 3100 mi on it. It hadn't been used in a couple of years and now decided I was gonna use it. Cleaned carbs, new battery, blew out clutches with compressed air etc. Sled started up and seemed to run pretty good. Went riding for a few days this weekend and found sled to not pull hard and have no top end to it. Barely would crack 80mph. When hitting it open tach would go to about 9300-9400 and then drop to 9-9100. I know sled was clutched second winter he had it with heel clickers and it would pull 10300 all day long. Could a soft old belt cause this much change in performance? Looking for some guidance as to what to look for or where to start.

Thanks Dan

belt would be a good starting point.

nhmm700 said:
Hey guys need some help. Inherited my dads 03 rx1 a few years ago. Has about 3100 mi on it. It hadn't been used in a couple of years and now decided I was gonna use it. Cleaned carbs, new battery, blew out clutches with compressed air etc. Sled started up and seemed to run pretty good. Went riding for a few days this weekend and found sled to not pull hard and have no top end to it. Barely would crack 80mph. When hitting it open tach would go to about 9300-9400 and then drop to 9-9100. I know sled was clutched second winter he had it with heel clickers and it would pull 10300 all day long. Could a soft old belt cause this much change in performance? Looking for some guidance as to what to look for or where to start.

Thanks Dan

I don't think the belt would cause this change it if you like but it wont change a thing. Clean your carbs again and make sure your air box is on correctly this sled will not perform with the air box not on correctly. You should also check under the tool box in the front for the cable running over the frame for rub through.

Thanks Dan[/quote]
and make sure your air box is on correctly this sled will not perform with the air box not on correctly.
This is a must, I messed around with my RX1 for days trying to get what I expected out of her. after everything was done, a friend says "why is the airbox not locked to the bottom boot of the carb", we got it to sit in perfectly and sure enough off I went.

good luck let us know if you find out

So airbox not sealed right? Clean carbs again? these items will cause this drastic of drop in performance? Ok forgot to mention another symptom. For pretty much the whole weekend approx. 325miles of riding everytime I came to an intersection and came to a stop sled would high idle 3-4k for quite some time. If I blipped the throttle it would them immediately drop to 12-1300 and then stay there till next time I took off. This happened repeatedly, all it took was a very small blip of throttle and it would then stay at regular idle. does this have an effect to my original post of not pulling all of its top end.

Dan

ok guys, I just got to looking at sled. opened up cards pulled out o rings that looked pretty dried out. Found that the mag side carb float needle was stuck. would just that cause what I was experiencing? Going to test tomorrow.

Dan

ok rode 153 miles today and sled ran much better. pulls to 3 digits no problem now and revs around 10300. Still experiencing some idle down issues when backing off throttle. Have like a little burble when back of throttle hangs a bit around 3500 and then drops to idle after 15-20 seconds. and ideas??

Dan

nhmm700 said:
ok rode 153 miles today and sled ran much better. pulls to 3 digits no problem now and revs around 10300. Still experiencing some idle down issues when backing off throttle. Have like a little burble when back of throttle hangs a bit around 3500 and then drops to idle after 15-20 seconds. and ideas??

Dan

Mine does this when the carbs are out of sync...

Back