• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 RX1 won't start after warmed up then shut off

Cnaser

I am having problems with my 03 rx1. I ride at 8 to 10 thousand feet. I am running K&N filters jetted with 145 main jets and have turned out the fuel screws 1 turn. It runs great except for when I stop or come down a hill while not giving it any gas, It will die or just idle at about 1000 rpm even if I hold it wide open, sometimes I can get it to clean out if I ever so slowly increase the throttle. But if I take the filters off it will start right up and clean out and I can put them back on while it is ideling and then take right off. I don't have a carb heater shut off installed but I plan on doing that before my next ride. What about the needle settings I am sure they are stock. Any help would be great I should have it about dialed in. :o|

Coolant shut-off to the carbs and make SURE the carb float-bowl updates are done on it from '03. Do a search on here for "float bowl updates" and read all about it!

Aaron

To start it up once warm give it a little throttle while cranking it over it will fire right up. Get the coolant to the carbs shut off valve. I needed them when I was up in Revy running stock installed them that night at the Yamaha dealer no problems the next day.

2 other possible issues.

1. Fuel coolant lines. You might need to put a shut-off valve on it so you can turn the coolant off to the carbs. Otherwise carbs get too hot. Most mountain riders did this to the 03 and 04 RX-1's. I believe they added one to the 05 and newer.
2. Lower your float bowls. I had a big issue w/flooding coming down hills. My floats were at 10mm. I lowered to 15 or 17 (forgot exactly) and this stopped the sled from flooding when going down steep hills.

J

Back